SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping somebody here can pass on the secret of how to remove the front wheels\stub axles from a Proslot Alfa 156. Is it just brute force or a special technique. I'm hoping to replace the wobbly things with a solid SLot.It axle and wheel set to give the front end a bit more weight.

cheers

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If it's anything like the Policar (poor man's proslot) Ferrari 355, then all I did was hold the end of the plastic stub axle with some pliers and pull the wheel off with a twisting motion.

Hope this helps.
Mark.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't get the wheels free of the stub axles so in the end cut through it with a sharp knife. I've got new slot.it alloy wheels anyway so wasn't an issue. Only thing left to do is to elongate the axle slots (vertically) because the front wheels aren't touching the track at the moment.

Total conversion was as follows. Replace front wheels and stub axles with a solid slot.it axle and new alloy wheels. Replace rear axle with Slot.it axle kit, lightweight alloy wheels and new slot.it brass pinion.

Car is now significantly quieter, smoother and more consistent in it's handling and is now the second fastest car i've got, discounting the two F1 cars that came with the set.

·
Registered
325 Posts
yeh, i'd say that getting rid of those stud axles is a good idea. I always do, but don't drill a hole thru the motor is the motor sids between the front wheels
u thought of that one Intergrali??

·
Registered
325 Posts
never mind, i don't aways make sence.....

"but don't drill a hole thru the motor if the motor sits between the front wheels"

i blame my rushed, bad typing - i'm trying to do more posts, don't like being a tea boy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys, back again with more Alfa 156 questions. As stated above car is running a lot quieter\smoother and drives really nicely since the conversion to Slot.It running gear.

However, I noticed that when the car gets sideways onto the gravel borders (Scalextric Sport) there's an unpleasant noise and furthe investigation makes me believe that the Slot.It crown is larger than the old proslot and it's bottoming out. I guess the only solution is to run taller profile tyres?

Second question, has anybody managed to even up the wheels so that they both stick out the same amount? On my car the wheel on the crwon wheel side sticks well outside of the bodywork and the offside wheel sits nicely under the wheelarch.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes ******, you should use bigger tyres to avoid any inteference with the track;
regarding the second question, I have made a number of spacers to even the left/right wheel-track, slicing nylon tubings of appropriate diameter; I have found that some of the tubing used to cover the receiver's antenna on R/C cars is quite good to make these spacers, and it's easily obtainable; or you could find some outer tubings used in R/C planes to make the elevator/rudder controls (they are named bowden ). I use it also among the chassis and the gear on sidewinders (a very thin slice here!) to reduce friction.

Ciao

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Sprint for the prompt reply and advice. I thought packing out the axle so they are at least evenly spaced was probably the way to go.

As for the tyres what do you recommend. It's running on Slot.It alloy wheels and the Proslot tyres that came with the car originally have a profile that is too low and a width that is too big.

I take it from your username you are an Alfa man through and through? I currently own a 156TS 2.0 which is the first Alfa i've owned but not the first i've wanted. I'm still keen to get a good early 70's GTV and am currently trying to persuade my brother to sell his Mk1 and Mk2 Golf Gti's to buy a late GTV V6.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi ******, yes I am an Alfa addict
; I have a '60 sprint, a '56 1900 saloon and a '72 Spider junior, or Duetto; I hope you will enjoy your 156 : Alfa was and is a legend today and, from what I have heard and understand, will be even greater tomorrow: wait and see!

On my 156 Proslot I have used Ninco competition and also NSR magnetic, available here in Italy, of course well sanded with a small lathe.
Ciao

1 - 19 of 19 Posts