Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
I've just finished the 2nd car in Mac Pinch's range of resin shells depicting cars from the 30's through to the 50's.

This particular car is the Alfa 8 Cylinder

This car is fairly straightforward to build as it has a lot more room to accommodate Mabuchi or similar motors.

As I want to make all my cars in this series fairly even paced, I chose to use the wonderful little Scalextric MOTOGP motor.

Chassis is Brass rod and plate with the front tube axle mounted as a separate item.

Gears are Scalextric pinion mated to a Slot.it crown. Guide is TSRF

Wheels are Ninco Classics and tyres on the front with Patto's on the rear with cut down Ninco classics as inserts.

Regards

Alan

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you spotted that John !...

Yes they are indeed and the axle runs in Andy Searle-Brown's best 3/32nd Oilites.

I find these much easier to make in PcB rather than brass, and you can solder them just as easily to the main rails.

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
A superb car Alan, I love the design of chassis and that neat rear bodymount.

Can you tell me which Patto wheels and tyres you've used at the rear.

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David

The Patto's wheels used are :-

"BPW 1607/13/32G
16mm dia x 7mm, 3/32" grub screwed wheels. Designed to take DU24003, DU32004 & BPT 2507 rubber and WI dia 13mm inserts, and all WIC-13 inserts."

The Tyres are :-

"DU 24003
25 dia x 7mm, fresh rubber Tyres. Plenty of grip and long wearing. Suit BPW 1607/13/. & 1807/15/. wheels."

The tyres look great, but they don't have any grip advantage (On Sport) over standard Ninco's.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
721 Posts
I really like the job that you have done and the body looks great. I'm planning on buying some of those myself. One suggestion to others is take a look at BWA wheels as well. They are hubless, come with dozens of insert possibilities and have been rumoured to be able to withstand a nuclear blast or at least an improvised explosive device.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
nice work beejay,i like ,but may i point out, the car is the 1936 8cyl, the 312 is the 1938 car, the 36 car was under Enzo Ferrari,s control, the 38 car was factory run cheers mac p

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Luscious stuff, BJ. MacP deserves a knighthood, and you get the Oscar for best supporting scratchbuilder. Lovely. Keep them coming.
Gruagggghhhh. (that's a kind of ecstatic ejaculation that respectful builders make towards each other)

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mac, my mistake.

Post Edited, (but I can't change the title).

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
545 Posts
Alan,

As always, superb! What painting technique did you use on the grill? It looks like a real wire grill in the photos.

Jay

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jay

The grille was first painted completley in flat Matt Black and then when dry the raised sections of the grille were directly painted silver with a OO size paintbrush. This gives a much better impression of depth then just painting the whole thing silver.

A different technique than dry brushing and only really possible because of the superb casting of the resin shell.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Alan,

Excellent job
, and what a neat little chassis. Great work on the grille detail also, really finishes it off.

How does that little moto GP motor perform when married to that excellent resin body, as the body would be heavier than a vac form or my Aston Ulster Airfix kit I plan to use one on. Or doesn't it make any difference?

Best regards,
Marlon.

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marlon

The additional weight of the Resin shell and the brass chassis makes no difference to performance of the MOTOGP motor.

The limiting factor, as always with these cars is the tyres, due to the narrow cross section and marginal grip. I can't wait to run these cars on a track with decent grip levels.

As far as your Aston is concerned,there is no problem. I've just today finished my Jaguar SS100 from the same stable of kits as the Aston. Again I've used a MOTOGP motor and brass chassis, not because there isn't enough room to fit a standard size motor, but because I wanted to maximise the cockpit depth, and the MOTOGP motor is very thin in cross section.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Thanks for the info Alan, that motogp motor will come in very handy for me for a few projects I have in mind.

Please show us the pics of your Jag

Best regards,
Marlon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts