SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technically this is not a total scratch build. My soldering and building skills aren't quite there yet.

I received this white slot.it Alfa 155 (to add to my Alfa collection), with the plan to replicate the Martini livery of 1996 DTM car (#5 Nicola Larini). I've had to make a few small alterations to the body in an attempt to make it look like the 1996 car.

Next step is to spray the red stripes, while the finer blue Martini stripes will be cut from the decal sheet (from pattos). When completing the 1/24 Tamiya model of this car, the big decals tend to fold and not wrap properly - hence trying to spray the red and detail the blue stripes. The wheel inserts aren't 100% accurate, although I believe they did use those OZ wheels in the early part of the season.

AlfaMartini_zpssffqeknd.jpg

·
ParrotGod
8,580 Posts
I have two white kits and two sets of decals sitting in my todo box for these cars.

One is the Martini and the other one is a bosch.

Both decal sets from pattos.

Looking forward to your progress.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After spraying the red, it was looking rather good:

martinialfawipi.jpeg_zps3x2kkwcm.jpg

Decals took forever, as there were so many of them. The Martini blue stripes had to be cut quite carefully.

martinialfawipii.jpeg_zpsykuxz2ug.jpg

Everything came together nicely -almost too pretty to race... One small mess up - when using the soldering iron to put the rear wing in place I burnt a hole through a part of the body. There is always that one thing that goes wrong... But I made a fairly nice fix.

Overall really happy with the end product.

martinialfai_zpsaiqagfi0.jpg

martinialfaii_zpsz4thp52z.jpg

martinialfaiii_zps8qfmgr8k.jpg

martinialfaiv_zpsprd2djhx.jpg

·
ParrotGod
8,580 Posts
Looking really good! I was planning to put the decals as they are but maybe your approach is much better.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Excellent work and it looks spot on, it's a very nice slot car.

Your masking for the red was obviously in exactly the right position, how did you judge this on the shell, did you measure from the decal sheet?

David

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Lovely! :) Takes me back to seeing DTM's providing seriously great entertainment at Donington Park.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Very nice work there :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looking really good! I was planning to put the decals as they are but maybe your approach is much better.
Excellent work and it looks spot on, it's a very nice slot car.

Your masking for the red was obviously in exactly the right position, how did you judge this on the shell, did you measure from the decal sheet?

David
It is really difficult applying the entire red decal to the bonnet/hood - especially when folding them over the edges and on the wheel arches (same at the rear over the boot/trunk). Even with microsol/set most times you get ugly creases. I just had to make sure I cut the blue stripes carefully.

I more of less guessed where I needed the red - knowing I have some wiggle room due to the blue stripe decals. After masking the red, I painted a thin layer of clear to seal the lines so that I didn't get any bleeding. The only place I got it a little wrong was the middle lines on the hood - they could have been a bit wider, but are hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
I also remember a great day's DTM racing at Donington back in the mid 90s.

David
Me too, my it did rain on the test day mind, still have the pictures somewhere

·
Bob Chapman
6,950 Posts
Nice job Marius.
Great car with a great livery.
Nocely done.
Bob

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Me too, my it did rain on the test day mind, still have the pictures somewhere
Weirdly so do I :D but I'm pretty sure that I've lost all the negatives :( Younger folks on this forum may well be wondering what a negative actually is ... :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lovely build, any car in Martini colours gets a thumbs up in my book.

Cue Antenna Head by ZZ Top, Eurosport used it as their theme music for their coverage in the mid 90s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts