SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
I'm just starting work on the 1st car in Mac's wonderful range of resin single seaters, namely the Alfa P3B.

This car seems a little unique in the series in that it has a beam axle at the front which is shaped in the form of an extended U axle, and runs beneath the front chassis members. Does anyone have any tips on how to construct this axle, as I don't have access to any pipe bending equipment. (The 1:1 Healey is finished!). I have had a look at Mark Gussin's website, where Mac's cars are featured, and apart from making me feel totally inadequate as a model builder, is not a great deal of help.

You can see the car on Mark's website :- Here

Also I can't find any information on front and rear track widths of the original car.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Alan

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I don't have access to any pipe bending equipment.

BJ, I don't know if it'll help you, but I bend tube by inserting a piece of round plastic line, used on weed-eaters (aka lawn trimmers, brush cutters, etc.), then make the bend and withdraw the plastic line. The tube doesn't collapse and you get a nice smooth bend. Obviously, this doesn't work for sharp bends, but it might do an axle like you need - it worked for the exhaust pipes on my F1. The line comes in a variety of sizes, from about .040" up to about .093". Just an idea. Good luck!

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
I'd be more inclined to bend the axle from piano wire, it's stronger although some strategic bracing would help and you don't need to worry about the tube collapsing. Use short pieces of the correct diameter tubing either side to keep the wheels in place. BWA's wheels with the small bore look ideal.

John

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Thanks for your advice chaps.

I managed to bend some 3/32nd brass tube to the approximate shape last night and found a way to mount it in the correct position on the bodywork.(Groove in the resin). Thank you John for the great plans, I can now mount the front wheels where they should be!. The tube arrangement will allow me to use the "pin" approach so that the front wheels rotate independently of the axle.
Fergy, I used your approach to pipe bending when I built my full size Healey, on the brake pipes, but I had a segmented insert which made life very easy, and it was much bigger. I guess you used the backbone of a fish you caught in one of your ice holes?.
John, I was going to try using the piano wire as this seems a very sound approach, but I would need to find a way of securing the wheels to the piano wire.

The chassis is a little difficult as it is so narrow. I'm going to use a brass rod flexy chassis with a MotoGP motor, this overcomes the problem of fitting a mabuchi type can. I really wanted to use one of BWA's brackets as they are such superb items, but it is far too wide. One solution I'm looking at is to remove the motor mounting section of the bracket and solder the two side sections to the rails. (Please look away Al when I put some pictures of this up, although it is just following your lead judging by recent threads!).

As far as a Guide is concerned I will have to use a trailing one mounted just behing the front axle, I have tried this before on another car and it seems to work OK.

Driver, I can understand Mac's comments about not starting on this car first as it does have a unique set of problems, but we all like a challenge!.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things have moved on a little since this morning. (A day off does help!).

I've more or less finished the chassis, and yes John it's a brass one.

As you can see the chassis is a twin rod flexi, the rear axle shoulders are whats left of one of BWA's fine motor brackets, and guide is Sakatsu trailing guide. Motive power will be a Scalextric MotoGP unit driving through a standard Scalex Crown, (I ran out of Slot.it's).

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed the absence of a front axle. This is to be mounted on a groove carved into the resin shell and fixed with two part epoxy. I used 3/32nd tube in the end which worked out fairly well.

I'll post more pictures when it is finished.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Whose wheels are you using Alan? It's the one thing that's bugging me right now.

Admittedly the scale of wheels of this era is pretty variable, as the rims got bigger for high speed tracks and smaller for twistier tracks. The '37 Mercedes, for instance, used rears of anything from 19 inches to 24!

Your P3, fortunately, had relatively balanced wheels all round...

But towards the end of the era things got quite silly with the bigger rears...

That's the 'straightforward' car I'm aiming to start with too.
Awww heck!

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Driver.....I'll probably use Ninco classics with the narrow classic tyres all round on this one but on the others in the range I may use the wider Ninco Classic tyres on the rears only.

I know Mac uses Ninco on the fronts with those Ortman thingies on the rear, but I'm not so keen on them, as they left a nasty deposit on my Sport track and seemed to wear fairly quickly, or maybe I had a bad set.

I had hoped that the new Scaley wheels could have been used, but to be honest I'm not that impressed with them. Am I the only one to think that they look more like alloys than wires?. The Drum brakes look nice.

The Cartrix ones are too wide, except perhaps for the later cars in the series.

You could also consider BWA's great range of wheels and inserts, you also have the advantage of a grub screw fixing, always preferable to a "glued" solution. As an alternative look at Patto's wheels and inserts. But I prefer the more open look of wires that I can't seem to achieve with inserts.

JP...Desperate times I'm afraid, I am almost out of PCB!.....Hence the dreaded brass.

Regards

Alan

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Looking great, BJ!

But...
QUOTE I guess you used the backbone of a fish you caught in one of your ice holes?
...the rather large, dead, unrefrigerated arctic char is on its way to your home via surface post....

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've managed to finish the car now.

The front beam axle did prove to be problematical and in the end I used a piece of small diameter aluminium tube, (pin mounting size), roughly bent to shape and glued into the groove I previously cut into the body of the car. The groove was then filled in with automotive filler. I then cut small sections of 3/32nd tube and fitted them over the pin tube. This provided the required shape of the beam axle, ensured the wheels were vertical and gave the whole structure strength. The wheels were secured to the axle with pins, superglued into the pin tubes, very simple and works pretty well.

I'm afraid I had to use some of the "artistic" elements of Paint Shop Pro to hide the background, you didn't really want to see a bird dropping encrusted gas meter box...did you!.

The car goes really well and I put about two hundred laps on it tonight, the only problem with this setup is that the Sakatsu Guide, does not seem to like Radius One curves but it's fine on the more open bends. The more I use these little MotoGP motors the more I like them, they really are superb value for money and the ideal Ninco NC1 equivalent.

So what next!.......... :-

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
You're an inspiration Beejay!

Took delivery of my W154 today - thanks Mac, she arrived safe and sound!

I'm now thinking about the little things that I'm good at (it's going to be Seaman's German GP winner so I've got to put a BRG pinstripe round the radiator), while waiting for the MRRC chassis and Evo2 motor to arrive from Pendle. Can't wait to join your P3 on the track!

"Driver#16"

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Love the Tipo B and I'll readily admit to being a devotee of those little MotoGP motors too. Superb job Alan

QUOTE you didn't really want to see a bird dropping encrusted gas meter box...did you!.
Well how about putting that 312 on hold for a week or so and making a start on your scenic track? A car like that really deserves a beautiful setting.

Look forward to seeing that Merc too driver#8.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts