·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All

Kicking some ideas arond here at the office, and we came up with the following:

Take a std Parma controller
Take an optical PC mouse
Transfer the optical reader mechanism and calibrated wheel from the mouse into the donor controller.

The idea being that a PC mouse typically run at 600dpi, so the callibration would be very fine indeed.

Then build an IC circuit with special caps to absorb unused power and burst this on demand as soon as you hit the straight. The way we understand it, the controller would be in-line, receiving full power, and then have a feed back to the track.

Any current research in this direction ?

T

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
erm, why would we want a digital controller at all?

sorry I mean welcome to the board, how do see a digital controller working with anything except a PC?

Rob.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The (newbie) idea behind the digital controller would be as follows:

- that you have no physical contacts to wear or cause resistance.
- the stepping would be finer as opposed to the typical 8 - 10 buttons the aftermarket controllers can provide.
- the curve can be mapped using a PC interface

or are we getting carried away here ?

T

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE no physical contacts to wear or cause resistance
This would be a terrific improvement!
Not sure that the adapatations will permit economical pricing though . . .

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I'm sure that there is room for improvement in the controller market. Sideways expansion is evident (Fly), but with more demanding users, cheaper hi-tech controllers could be produced too. Look at the price drop in computer mice (optical, wireless, bluetooth etc.).

·
Registered
714 Posts
Right on the cheap peripherals and I like the idea too.
But it SOUNDS as though a PC may be needed to do all the number crunching work. No problem when the accessories are specifically for a PC, of course!
Or is there a cheap way round this?
If there is, then I am all for it - especially if a wireless option were available at a reasonable price..

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ummm i think this has been done... and implimented using full voltage to the tracks and a chip inside the car

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Addressing your 3 ideas in two groups for transistorized e-controllers which are already in existence:

QUOTE - that you have no physical contacts to wear or cause resistance.
- the stepping would be finer as opposed to the typical 8 - 10 buttons the aftermarket controllers can provide.

This is already a reality with some of the transistor-based controllers. A potentiometer (rotary, variable resistor) is operated by the controller trigger. No contact points like there are with diode controllers. Wear on the potentiometer (good, mil-spec units) is typically measured in millions of motion cycles - they last a LONG time!

QUOTE - the curve can be mapped using a PC interface

Possible, I suppose, using some sort of programmable device between the potentiometer and the output transistor. But pretty complex. Some degree of mapping can be obtained fairly easily with adjustment pots that control sensitivity and overall response (still not simple, straightforward stuff though).

For the transistor controller I built for myself, I opted to skip the use of a potentiometer and used a "wiper block" that has 18 "bands" on it. The bands lead to a simple plug-in "power curve" module with 18 discrete resistors. By changing the module, I can alter the "mapping" of the controller in every conceivable way. Perhaps not the ultimate, elegant solution, but I have more than twice the resolution of most e-controllers and I can create any "feel" or "power curve" that I wish. A module change takes about 2 seconds.

I love e-controllers....

·
Registered
458 Posts
uhhhh............. 1 question...... whats the point???? why bother , its a good idea yeah but still whats the point??? why not work on a wireless controller , that would be more helpfull, no tangled wires
grrrrrrrrr i hate tangled wires , they irrirtate me

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Actually, Goose, wireless controllers have already been done! But I don't really think it's within the reach of most of us to build one. And, if anyone thinks there's resistance to e-controllers now.... try showing up at the club with a wireless e-unit and driving from wherever the heck you please!!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I'll drink to wireless controllers!
The SCX wireless jobbies have been mentioned somewhere already but I can't remember anyone admitting to having one.
Short range and line of sight are factors I believe.
Any offers with SCX info?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I'll drink to wireless controllers!

Tropi, that'd be MY problem! I'd be driving from the front of the beer fridge in the next room! And doing this to everyone....

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
I have a J&S controller that has a mil spec pot connected directly to the trigger and it is very smooth. I also have a Difalco Fanatic that has ten contacts that are connected to trimmer pots, so you can set them for a non-linear response. A wireless controller does have some appeal for me. I recall that it has been done before. I know several racers that are stuck in wheelchairs and would love to be able to park in the best spot to see the track, rather than be stuck at the control panel. Most of my controllers have had their wires replaced with the silicone coated wires that Parma sells. They are much more flexable than regular wires.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I recall hearing that time delay was another factor with the SCX wireless controllers, consequently, you had to drive 'ahead of the car'. Never tried one so I can't verify this.

By the way, seen all sorts of dodgy controllers on my travels and cannot honestly say that I think a single one is better than my 35 Ohm Parma Turbo. Whats the point? They may be sensitive to the nth degree but after a certain point....

It's like my physics teacher, he's spending weeks trying to build a box which plugs inline with a stereo and speakers and improves CD quality music. I pointed out that you really can't tell the difference, and he says he just likes knowing its there.
Oh my god...
(Sorry about that, lol)

Lotus

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
For the serious racer only....

The Rocket Mechanics hand controller is "pulse width modulated" and infinitely adjustable. A magnetic sensor is used in place of a wiper, so it has no moving or bending wires or contacts to break or cause resistance.

Available from AB SlotSport for a mere £243.60.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Good Grief Russell !.......You could buy two new Fly cars for that sort of money!.

Regards

Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts