SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi

Last week I had an interview with Frits Passet. He is Director International at Hornby. I was very interested in the way Scalextric looked to the market with al those new products like: MotoGP, Digital and World Sport. But he also mention some news. Scalextric is developing a new range of buildings for next year! If it will look at the new pit crew it will be something!

Gerard

PS: if you use a translation tool you can read this interview at:

http://www.racebaan.com/report/scalextric/index.html

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`ve been `chatting` to Roger Gillham this evening. The latest 6th edition of his book is at the printers and will be released 4 th sept at Goodwood revival.

I have explained that he would be most welcome at the meeting and he is considering fitting it in. I have long admired his work and approach to the hobby and stick by his advice on"collecting only those cars that you like".

Great news about the Scalex buildings..bring it on I say. That`ll be another question for Adrian then

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the Starsky & Hutch film like?

Are Scalextric going to use the actors of the film on the box or are they going to use the original TV show actors? Even Intergrali wasn't around when the show was on the air, so he's going to be relating to the film images...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Unless he's got the Starsky & Hutch PS2 game. At least it uses caricatures of the orginal actors. The Torino has a nice V8 sound, and in 2 player, one get to drive it and the other gets to use the gun. (In my case - a replica .50 cal desert eagle with motorised recoil on the slide - sad git that I am!) Mind you on a dark night one could use the gun for robbing petrol stations - just hide the USB lead up your sleeve

Now I just hope that GAME still have that second hand Walther auto with a laser sight in it

Mark.

I've seen a small clip of the film, and it appears to be a comedy 70's rip off, possibly along the lines of Police Squad? At least the Gran Torino should look good

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Nuro, don't hold your breath over that movie - not if you were a fan of the original. I saw a clip on Film 2004 and it looked like National Lampoon's Starsky and Hutch: a complete mockery.

Guess they had to do it though, the kids of today are the target audience not the kids of yesteryear. Which makes me wonder who will be on the packaging Hornby produce: will it be Soul and Glaser or the new idiots? I thought I saw some Hornby blurb that showed the former two. That'll only confuse kids who love the movie. Still, at least they left the Torino in.

Thinking about it, maybe it was some canny licencing by Margate - film out soon, let's buy the cheap TV series rights and ride on the coattails of the movie. Should please the suits in marketing.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Getting back to the thread in question. I cannot but feel that it is a temporary lull before a great big storm. I believe there are quite a few cars still to be released from Fly according to their February flyer. Although things may take a bit longer now after yesterday's tragedy in Spain.

M

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Oh, Diff... tsch, tsch, tsch.

Nuro's post makes me think someone at Hornby did have, "a cunning plan, m'lord." I can't think that many kiddies who see the film though will be possessed to run out and buy a Scaley. But who knows, maybe the film has an abundance of car chases - all bumper height camerawork through narrow alleyways, populated by large piles of cardboard boxes.

Scott's post makes me wonder. What are you suggesting there? You got inside info? You big tease.

We are going to get the Torino, right? I mean, I'm prepared to break both my "no street cars" and "think very carefully before buying a fragile Margate Missile" rules for this one.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Oh no! more cars to spend money on!! That 13 -car SCX set which MRE lists looks interesting, but a bit too expensive £525. Although it seems to work out ok:- Say £26 per car, that's £338. Then 48 magazines!!! Well out of 525, you have 187 left. Divide that by 48 and you get approx. £3.90 per magazine, which is about right for a high street glossy magazine (if that's what format they are).

Those FLY Merc trucks look great in the fantasy airbrush schemes.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
Ahem, glossy high street magazines they are not
Six or maybe eight pages of info - in Spanish.

They have a sheen, as opposed to being glossy.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 15 Mar 2004, 03:05 PM)Ahem, glossy high street magazines they are not
Six or maybe eight pages of info - in Spanish.

They have a sheen, as opposed to being glossy.
Right..changed my mind then. A bit of a rip-off IMHO. No offence or slur to Gary - he's in the slot car business and that case is full of slot cars

Mark.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts