SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
Many of us would like to cut the tether of the controller to the power base. How can we do that? What do we need? This thread is meant to be a "catch all" for all past, current, and future options for wireless control of Scalextric Sport Digital race cars/track. This is ONLY meant to include solutions which allow wireless control of a car which can activate Scalextric Digital lap counting and lane changing, fundamental features for racing.

As far as I am currently aware, the following options are either in planning, development, or available for purchase.

1) Andrew Wallace and RikoRocket's SSDC throttle box. These are bluetooth wireless boxes that are battery powered. Standard SSD controllers (OEM, TruSpeed, other resistive controllers) plug into the box which has a belt clip. Deluxe version includes a programmable button and a knob for variable brake adjustment. The system requires a computer with bluetooth capability (external dongle is fine), SSD Console v5.x, and a C7042 APB-Pro (updated firmware) power base. Other than the PC with bluetooth, no special receiver is needed, and up to 6 controllers can be paired with the PC for full 6 car racing, as long as the PC has a sufficiently quick system.

2) Slot Car Solutions Wireless bridge system. This system is a wireless bridge between the controller and the powerbase itself. No computer or software required. A transmitter and receiver pair is required. Each receiver can handle up to two transmitters. The basic system includes two transmitters and one receiver. The receiver is powered by USB type power (PC or wall wart with USB socket), and the transmitter is battery powered. Transmitters are pre-programmed to specific frequencies, so specific ID pairs must be ordered. This system has been tested on the C7030 powerbase with resistive controllers. Testing with other controllers and the C7042 base is being conducted.

3) Slot.it SCP01 with oXigen cartridge. This system can be configured two ways. The controller can be used to directly control a slot.it oXigen chipped car which, when programmed to car ID 1-6, will trigger SSD lane changes and lap counters. It can also be used with a forthcoming wireless bridge device and their Scalextric Digital compatible SCP1 cartridge. By pairing the oXigen cartridge to the bridge device, the bridge device can then in turn control any slot.it SCP1 controller cartridge, including their Scalextric Digital compatible cartridges. There are two SSD cartridges, one for the C7030 base, and one for the C7042 base, due to changes in how the bases were designed by Hornby's designers. The oXigen cartridge/controller must be battery powered by an external box (pocket sized), and the wireless bridge device is powered by the cartridge that it is controlling, usually by track power (for analog cartridges) or external power (for digital cartridges).

4) Scorpius Wireless controllers and a forthcoming wireless receiver, OR via SSDC. Scorpius is planning a wireless bridge device of some kind, similar to the SCS and oXigen designs, plugging directly into the power base. Also, Andrew Wallace has said that an interface for SSDC to use Scorpius Wireless controllers is planned. This would allow the use of Scorpius Wireless controllers in much the same way as the "throttle box" mentioned in #1. I believe this would require a Scorpius Wireless dongle for the PC. Scorpius controllers are internally battery powered.

If I have missed a solution, or made any mistakes, PLEASE post corrections and updates. I think this thread will be a great place to discuss the various merits of each solution without taking over threads dedicated to a specific solution. If you have any thoughts on any of these solutions, any that haven't been mentioned, or even your own ideas, please share!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice descriptions Mr. Flippant. I think this could be a very infrmative thread. As I mentioned I recently received my SCS wireless system from Sweden and I am impressed with the system. I am using PBPro with Simple H mod and a RichG Lap Tower. Most of my racing is against the clock so I find the Lap Tower an invaluable tool. Often I do not turn on my PC so i race without using SSDC.
Thanks for starting this thread
Richard

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
That's one feature I really appreciate about the wireless bridge options such as the SCS option. What controllers have you used with it? Just the stock Scalextric controller so far?

I also like the slot.it solution, as I will be able to use it with my analog racing as well as digital, by simply swapping which cartridge the wireless bridge (CRI - Cartridge Radio Interface, I think is what Slot.it are calling it still) controls. It won't be the cheapest solution, but it will be the most versatile.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Excellent summary Greg - very clear and concise.
My wish is a bit apart from the main interests of this thread but I am looking for something which works on the C7042 APB in digital AND analog mode and without the need for a computer. I'm not absolutely clear at the moment which, if any, of the above systems would allow this.

Cheers
Chris

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Richard ...... does this system work with analogue setups as well?? An earlier thought.

All the best - Greg

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Great thread Greg.
FWIW - I see the difference between what we are doing with the Throttle-Pro, and what SCS have done, as a trade off between functionality and convenience.
- Any throttle that plugs directly into the powerbase will only ever be able to take one resistive value to determine throttle, lane change and brake only. Their advantage is that they don't require the PC.
- To do more than this, such as being able to use InCar-Pro features, requires additional data from the throttle, and so a PC interface is necessary. The advantage is that you have a more advanced system.
For that reason, there is certainly room for multiple solutions. There is no one solution that will fit everyone's needs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for this great informative summary, whilst I was a where of options 1 & 2, 3 and 4 are new to me, however at this stage I think I will be going with the SSDC bluetooth option.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Great Thread!
The SCS solution is designed to be a "vitrual" extension of the cable, all functions possible to use with a standard controler connected directly to the base will be able to be done also with the SCS wireles system, such as analog driving with the 7030 PB-pro. (probably also for 7042, but we have not tested)

As we also are digitilizing the controler value we will have possibbilities to handle the signal similar to what slot.it is doing in the SCP.1.
Our main focus will in the beggining be to get a power limit function (kid mode), but functions such as 2s lane change hold, adjustable breaks, anti spin and other is no great problem to include.
We are very interested in getting all your ideas and inputs for function you need and want.....

Thobias
www.slotcarsolutions.com

·
Prof I T
11,159 Posts
hi
ssdc bluetooth for me as well. The mih stuff is to good to miss.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Small additon to my earlier information.
We are just now making a 6ch receiver that will be released within the comming weeks, this is done after valuble inputs from the great guys on this forum...

We also on the drawing table have a receiver for only analog tracks.

BR
Thobias
www.slotcarsolutions.com

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
As usual from Greg, a well thought out topic with a good summary. Thanks.

To avoid any confusion, The SSDC wirEless runs my 7042 in both Digital and Analogue modes.

It's very liberating to be able to jump around when driving, allowing better flow as the whole track can be marshalled continuously. Very useful when I am testing cars, or just being a hooligan with my mates.

Will have to get a setup to programme chips a la MiH method soon.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (ethobias @ 2 Jan 2012, 10:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Our main focus will in the beginning be to get a power limit function (kid mode), but functions such as 2s lane change hold, adjustable brakes, anti-spin and other is no great problem to include.
We are very interested in getting all your ideas and inputs for function you need and want.....
Thobias
www.slotcarsolutions.com
Hi Thobias
Will these future functions be through new versions of the units with new hardware components or will it be possible to just reprogram/modify the current units?

Cheers
Chris

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi Chris,
Some of the functions will be "just" sw implementation but other function will require some kind of buttons or rotation knobs to be added. The internal HW will not have to be changed.

All your inputs are most welcome....

Regards
Thobias
www.slotcarsolutions.com

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Chris, yes that is our general idea. For the moment it requires a special PIC-programmer to do the upgrade but we are aiming at implementing some kind of bootloader to simplify the update, not clear when this will be done though...

We will also be able to send new updated MCUs for the cost of post and packaging.

Thobias
www-slotcarsolutions.com

·
Registered
239 Posts
Boy, Mr. Flippant, you woke up the Beast with this thread. Since I went to bed last night and got up this morning there has been a veritable hive of activity! To answer Gregk's question, I have not tried the SCS system in analog mode but I will try it soon and let you know the results.

Richard

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
The posts so far have been exactly what I hoped the thread would encourage. An open dialog about the technology and benefits of all systems that support SSD car control.

I'm hoping that various solutions can be field-tested with different combinations soon. For example, it will be important to learn how well the SCS system works with the C7042 base. Similarly, if it works, or can be made to work, with the Slot.it SCP1 controller.

Chris99, the only one I know of that at this time will FOR SURE work with the C7042 base without the need of a computer is the Slot.it solution. Since it's probably the most expensive "buy it in one go" solution, and since you can't get it all just yet anyway, we should know if the SCS system works with the C7042 base in time to make an informed choice. The slot.it solution is expensive for those who haven't already got the SCP1 controller and a compatible cartridge. Since the system requires four components to work, each between $50-100, just to control one car, it will probably be lowest on the list of choices simply for cost reasons. I would expect Rick will ensure that the Scorpius Wireless bridge device will work with the C7042. Hopefully he is able to make it work with the C7030 as well. Hopefully he does not drop those plans in favor of allowing SSDC to perform the control through an APB.

Another option I hadn't thought of would be a Slot.it to PC to APB solution, like the Scorpius Wireless and SSDC Throttle Box solutions. I don't know how much throttle data the slot.it wireless PC dongle is designed to receive, but I'm pretty sure it's "all of it" just like Scorpius. As such, SSDC could also interface with that for car control. In that case, one would purchase a slot.it SCP1 with oXigen cartridge for each car they wish to control, and just one oXigen PC dongle to receive them all, interpreted by SSDC and then sent through the APB to control the cars. Depending on pricing, this option could be very similarly priced to the Scorpius Wireless option, both of which would be more expensive than the SSDC Throttle Box. For going through a computer and an APB, the SSDC Throttle Box is the most economical choice, assuming a computer upgrade is not also required.

I so rarely turn on my PC, though. It really is reserved primarily for club race nights. I'd much rather have a solution that didn't require the PC in the middle, not to mention the APB and loss of my precious Rich G Lap Display. Darn you, Rich, for making such a great piece of kit!!!

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys
This is the Scorpius solution to date:

These 3 components allow you to:
a)Use Scorpius controller only with Scorpius chipped cars
b)Use Scorpius controller on SS 7040 APB to run 6 SSD cars.
c)Allow Scorpius controller to run an analogue car.

The WAM (Wireless Analogue Module) is currently being upgraded to 50A.

Current Scorpius controller features able to be used with the new APB include:

a)256 step control
b)256 step brake control
c)Wirelessly reflashable
d)Wirelessly configurable
e)Long bsattery life
f)LCD screen
g)Learner mode
h)10 rewritable throttle curves
i)Diagnostic software
j)Driver name, this could be programmed to automatically be entered in the race set up.
h)Security PIN
i)Version number
j)Extra button for any function.
h)Lightweight balanced controller with light, med or heavy spring tension.

Prices: Controllers $199, Dongle $99, WAM $129 (due mid 2012). all prices in AUD and are ex tax.

Controllers and dongles released July 2011, now sold out, next production currently about to begin mid Jan.

Andy is currently in the software stage and we hope to have this out soon.

Also planned the Universal Receiver that plugs into:
a)SSD 7030 PB
b)SCX digital
c)Ninco digital
d)Carrera digital

Due: 2013

Rick

1 - 20 of 226 Posts