SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 1191 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
next wish....

great would be the results as x-lap, where you can have a total result of all races,
and which one could be everytime added on by another racedate.

picture car klaus ferrari GTO 1:20 hrs 167 laps
picture car driver 2 ferrari GTO 1:20 hrs 154 laps

sorry for saying everything i think about

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow.....You disappear for a few months and things just trun upside down.

The software sounds great, had to take the track down temporarily, but going to set it back up soon. So do I understand correctly that with the newer versions of your RMS that I do not need the X-link program from Carrera if I purchase a cable from RichG?

I have the lap counter already, just haven't purchased a pit lane yet. I waited along time for Carrera to produce thier track management system and from what I hear they unfortunatly didn't do a very good job. Glad to see that someone here was able to fill the void.

Todd

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
QUOTE (indianfire @ 23 Feb 2009, 04:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>next wish....

great would be the results as x-lap, where you can have a total result of all races,
and which one could be everytime added on by another racedate.

picture car klaus ferrari GTO 1:20 hrs 167 laps
picture car driver 2 ferrari GTO 1:20 hrs 154 laps

sorry for saying everything i think about

You can total all the races- just pick free form rotation (no rotation).

But it doesn't carry over to another race date. It will only work for one run of the program.

That is probably the one big shortcoming of my software. Unfortunately, it's a major rewrite, and it isn't something that's important to me, so it's going to be a while.

There are still things that I want or need in the software that I haven't done, so it will be quite some time before I can do this.

It will require a rewrite of all the data handling.

Don't apologize for your ideas- some you'll get, some you won't, but I love hearing them.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
QUOTE (Todd @ 23 Feb 2009, 05:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow.....You disappear for a few months and things just trun upside down.

The software sounds great, had to take the track down temporarily, but going to set it back up soon. So do I understand correctly that with the newer versions of your RMS that I do not need the X-link program from Carrera if I purchase a cable from RichG?

Todd

Correct.

RichG's cable accomplishes everything the PC unit does- and I'm pretty sure he sells them for quite a bit less

You can use my software in place of X-Lap if you don't buy the PC unit. You'll need to download drivers for RichG's cable from FTDI's website. I don't think he includes them with the cable, but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Bruce,

Since you are still taking suggestions about your already excellent software, how about this?

Could you make available a second window (which could optionally be moved to a 2nd display monitor) which is a scoring tower, as at the Daytona speedway with the current running order during the race. Leading car at the top, 2nd place car below, etc. Either that or a scrolling horizontal window in race order much as they do in Nascar TV coverage?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
QUOTE (gohara @ 25 Feb 2009, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bruce,

Since you are still taking suggestions about your already excellent software, how about this?

Could you make available a second window (which could optionally be moved to a 2nd display monitor) which is a scoring tower, as at the Daytona speedway with the current running order during the race. Leading car at the top, 2nd place car below, etc. Either that or a scrolling horizontal window in race order much as they do in Nascar TV coverage?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

You do know that you can display the cars in running order on the race screen, right? This was added in the last release, I think.

The software is designed so that the race screen uses all of the available space on the default monitor. You want it to be legible at a distance, so it uses all the screen it can. Marshalls, spectators and drivers all want to be able to see the race screen. Sometimes they can't, but the software gives them as much of a chance as possible.

Alternative info could be displayed on a second monitor, but I'm not sure what you would want to see during a race other than the race results?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, Bruce.

I had a previous version installed which did not have the running order option.

Also, I was talking with our local dealer of a commercial track in San Diego and he asked:

Do you have the ability to send a relay signal to kill track power at the end of a timed race?
and
Can a lap race be completed without all drivers having to complete all laps?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Thanks, Bruce.

The second request is included in this weeks release- should go up over the weekend, as I'm still testing. Once the checkered flag is out, all drivers get to complete their current lap, and the race is over. Also will include the ability to end the race early but still count the results. If you use the escape key to exit a race right now, the results are wiped out.

The first request is the main reason I undertook this project. I wanted a track call feature integrated with my RMS. I haven't gotten around to assembling my track side computer so I'm testing with a laptop. My track side machine is going to use an older motherboard I've been saving for this project. It has a parallel port. I've got the parallel port relay board ready to hook the power to the rails. Then I can cut power from the computer for the end of a timed race, and for track calls in the middle of a race. So this feature will eventually be included- but you'll have to wire your track the same way I wire mine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (b.yingling @ 24 Feb 2009, 20:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Correct.

RichG's cable accomplishes everything the PC unit does- and I'm pretty sure he sells them for quite a bit less

You can use my software in place of X-Lap if you don't buy the PC unit. You'll need to download drivers for RichG's cable from FTDI's website. I don't think he includes them with the cable, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks, I will PM RichG tonight regarding cable purchase. Thanks for the info and the hardwork...

Todd

·
Registered
106 Posts
hi bruce,
i today read in freeslotter from desperate x-lap users and answered this words:

"i told before just in another thread ever written:
Take D132 RMS of bruce yingling and transfer him a little thanks!

The program has everything a lap x-user wants and what we carrera-updates still have to wait forever.

it works perfectly and is steadily improving, has a thousand sound options, and so on ..."

also i give a link to your download site.

greetings

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (indianfire @ 27 Feb 2009, 04:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi bruce,
i today read in freeslotter from desperate x-lap users and answered this words:

"i told before just in another thread ever written:
Take D132 RMS of bruce yingling and transfer him a little thanks!

The program has everything a lap x-user wants and what we carrera-updates still have to wait forever.

it works perfectly and is steadily improving, has a thousand sound options, and so on ..."

also i give a link to your download site.

greetings

Thanks Klaus,

I haven't had a lot of time this week to test. Last night I managed about 45 minutes and the new race end procedure (where the checkered flag means everyone finishes the lap they are on and the race is over) seems to be working fine. I should have all afternoon today to test. So if all goes well you may see the new version tomorrow. With the new race end, the ability to change the colors on the race screen and a bunch of little improvements you may or may not notice.

Bruce

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello bruce,

that seems to be many great improvements!
the changing for personal colours is for me not so important, but a nice feature!

i think, meanwhile there are sure about more than only two users of your programm...

i`m very interested for your update,- i think then all is perfect and you have nothing more to work on it

only drive the cars!

till soon

klaus

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello bruce,

my english is not the best anymore. but i'll try it!

I can't wait till the weekend starts and I can test your RMS software. I just bought a couple of weeks a d132 starter-kit and since than my track grew every week - it's so much fun. realy NO FUN was the pc unit with the x-lap software. how is it possible that a brand like carrera puts such a software on the market - unbelievable!

anyway, that's way I'm looking forward to test your software and I'm sure (after I read that thread) that their will be more than 2 users after this weekend! ;-)

one idea I had:
it would be great to add some informations to a track (just like the car- or the driver-database). I think it's interesting to see the statistics of a race in combination to the track. to add a picture would be great and maybe it would be possible to add a datafield to enter the length of the track. for example the user could find out the length of his track with the onlineplaner http://www.softyroyal.de than enter the length and a picture.

I just thought that it would be possible with the information of the length to calculate the speed in mph or km/h for a single lap or the average of a race.

so far! keep up the good work and MUCH RESPECT! todo!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Bruce,

soma days ago I came to your topic here when I was searching for a software for an alternativ software for the Carrera system.

Now I read that Klaus (indianfire) is very active here and I want to say that he has most of my wishes as well. I read also the topics in the freeslotter forum.

My question is, do you think it possible to make a german version of the program? I have the opinion that there would be many users here in Germany/Switzerland/Austria who would appreciate it. I would do the translation as long as there is a possibility for this, e.g. a file with all your data in it. Then it would be possible to have several languauges in one table.

As soon as I get my cable (hopefully next Wednesday...
) I will set up my computer with your software. Until then it is only possible for me to check the software in the demomodus. But its the best for my purpose that I've seen so far.

Regards
Matthias

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
QUOTE (DonaldW @ 27 Feb 2009, 16:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Bruce,

soma days ago I came to your topic here when I was searching for a software for an alternativ software for the Carrera system.

Now I read that Klaus (indianfire) is very active here and I want to say that he has most of my wishes as well. I read also the topics in the freeslotter forum.

My question is, do you think it possible to make a german version of the program? I have the opinion that there would be many users here in Germany/Switzerland/Austria who would appreciate it. I would do the translation as long as there is a possibility for this, e.g. a file with all your data in it. Then it would be possible to have several languauges in one table.

As soon as I get my cable (hopefully next Wednesday...
) I will set up my computer with your software. Until then it is only possible for me to check the software in the demomodus. But its the best for my purpose that I've seen so far.

Regards
Matthias

I've thought about this, since I've had more feedback from German speaking users than all the rest of the world combined

You can easily create a German language version of the sound files- just replace the existing files. I'm sure some of you have already done that.

Changing the language in the program itself will require a lot of work. I may do this down the road. I hadn't planned on a multi-language version when I began this, so I didn't take the proper steps from the start (resource files for the text that appears in the program, the size of buttons and static elements that display text, etc.). There isn't a great deal of text in the program, but there are enough labels and buttons to make it quite a task. It will be some time until I look at it. As I've told Klaus, there are a couple of things I want in the program that I haven't coded yet- and they come first.

Then maybe I can think about a multi-language version. That would be the next change.

Multi-language will be much easier than re-writing the data handling from scratch. I've decided I'm going to have to do that. There are things I would like to be able to do with the data that aren't possible with my current crude method. The data (particularly the results) is the one area where Carrera's X-Lap may actually be better than my software. I'm going to have to change that.

I'd like to be able to view results from the perspective of the cars as well as the drivers. I want the ability to combine results from several days racing. I'd like a database that keeps track of a drivers all-time best lap, and a cars all-time best lap. None of that is possible right now. It will require a complete rewrite of the data handling system. I have some ideas about how to convert existing data so that we won't have to enter driver and car info all over again, but it isn't even in the planning stage yet.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I had time this afternoon and this evening to test, and all went well.

Version 0.801 is now available here.

This includes the ability to end a lap counted race on the checkered flag lap. When the checkered flag drops, all drivers get to complete their current lap. Once all drivers have finished their present lap, the race is over.

Thanks to Indianfire (Klaus Rosner) for convincing me to include this. It's a much better finish than requiring every driver to run the full number of laps. You can still do it that way if you like, but I'll bet most people will take advantage of this option.

You can also end a heat/race early by using <ctrl>Enter. A prompt will ask if you want to end the race early. If you choose to, the results will be recorded. You could always end a heat by pressing the ESC key, but that cancelled the race and the results were not recorded.

Also included in this release: the ability to change the background colors on the race screen. Every driver/controller can have the color of your choosing assigned.

Also lots of small improvements you probably won't notice....

Bruce

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi bruce,

after testing your software last night, I just can say it again MUCH RESPECT.

The setup worked perfect and it found without a problem my pc-unit - XLap made at that point much more trouble.
The integration of sound adds so much fun to the game and the option to sort by position is great too. it's cool to see getting up in the table!

Till now I had not a single error or problem with it. If I'll find a bug I'll tell you.

That after a race the settings wil be saved, so that the same setup could be played again would be very great.

Because of my job I always got a lot of ideas to the useability of applications - I'm doing a lot of development of information-structures for portals. If you want to, I could make me some thoughts about it. I think the future for applications like yours will be, too be as userfriendly like e.g. a playstation game.

do you know what I mean?
For example a setup-mode like that:

STEP1: PLEASE SELECT YOUR TRACK

STEP2: DRIVER ONE - CHOOSE YOUR PROFIL AND SELECT YOUR CAR; DRIVER TWO ... ... ...

BIG BUTTON TO START THE RACE (of course with your basics settings)

Just some Ideas ...

I'll do the update this evening! Todo (also from germany)!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Bruce,

I just set up the new version 0.8.0.1 and it looks great (I really miss the cable, 4 more days...
).

Just the Question that todo also raised: Will it be possible to save the settings for the race in one of the next versions? Also if you change the colors, they are not saved for the next race, so you do have to set everything anew.

As you see there are a lot new users from Germany...

BYe from here
Matthias

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Bruce and Forum,

I don't want to ask for anything I just want Bruce to know how much I/We truly appreciate all of hours of hard work and resources he has put into this little project of his. It takes a true fan of the hobby and people to endure the way he does. He manages to intergrades' every idea where possible into the RMS as soon as he can and does it with zest. He is not close minded when dealing with ideas and really cares about the updates and software he puts out. I don't know that I could remain as committed to the project the way he does? He in my opinion has blown away the big boys packaged software and added an interface created by us the users. I just wanted to say thanks from all of the users of the product and myself. You truly are a dedicated inspiration.

Best Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
106 Posts
hi bruce,

its quite GREAT!!!

i each time new enjoy to have a race and start YOUR programm!

you should insert your download-link in freeslotter.de and take some money by downloading and i´m sure, you will be an rich man

thousand germans/austrians und more will use it!

much greetings

klaus

41 - 60 of 1191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.