SlotForum banner
681 - 700 of 1208 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the information that it should work..

the USB device I have is listed as CP210x USB to UART Bridge Controller, running the COM port 19200,8,N,1 and no flow control
not sure if this is the right USB device for USB to TTL, the colleague who made that cable choose that for me after I showed him the information at www.slotbaer.de

well... looks like I have something to work on during the evenings...

Armin

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
CP210x should be fine, it has VCP divers available and it's functionality looks very similar to the FTDI FT232, although personally I would have stuck with the tried & tested FTDI device. Assume you have a complete assembly / cable as opposed to a chip? You will of course need to fit a Mini Din to plug up to the CU.

Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

yes, Mini DIN at the other end. "PC Access" was displayed on the Lap Counter for a second or two, which means it can't be fully wrong
Can somebody confirm that 19200,8,N,1 and no flow control are the right settings for the COM-Port?

Next time I have access to that LC/BB, I'll perhaps go back to the roots and try to connect with a serial terminal.

Unfortunatly I do not own a LC personally, but a CU is on my shopping list for this year.

Thanks for all the help, I'll update the thread if there are any news.

Armin

·
Bruce Yingling
1,657 Posts
QUOTE (armiinh @ 28 Feb 2011, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can somebody confirm that 19200,8,N,1 and no flow control are the right settings for the COM-Port?

Next time I have access to that LC/BB, I'll perhaps go back to the roots and try to connect with a serial terminal.

Yes, those are the right numbers. HSSRMS adjusts the settings before opening the port, but if you want to try and connect with a different program, those would be correct.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,657 Posts
I have some good news on the development front. I've finally gotten the beta software working reliably. I had been plagued by the software losing communication with the CU, and the port requiring a hard reset by unplugging the cable. Even had to turn the CU off and on to prevent another quick lockup.

I think I finally have this sorted. I ran a two hour session last Friday, which I ended manually, immediately followed by a 3+ hour session on Saturday, which I also ended manually. The longest I had run before last weekend was just over an hour.

This meant I could spend Sunday finally working on the code to allow users to set the max speed and max brake of the cars through software. I've tested the user interface end of it, but not the track end of it, yet. I hope to have a new, working beta with this included by the beginning of next week.

Then I'll be adding the 'race event' feature discussed earlier. That should be really easy to do. And I probably just jinxed myself by saying that

·
Bruce Yingling
1,657 Posts
Glad to hear it's working for you. It might be a couple more weeks until I have the next beta ready. It will include the ability to set car speed, brake, and tank size from software.

There's a system wide (user adjustable) default for each value. You can then individually assign values for each car in the database. The car values can then be overridden by a car/driver combo, accessed from the driver/car assignment window.

So when a race is begun, the software will assign max speed, braking force, and tank size values for each ID in the race. It will look for and use car/driver specific values. If none are found, it will look for and use car specific values. If no car specific values are found, the system defaults will be assigned.

I have it working, but need to fine tune, test, and expand.

I want to add the ability to adjust these values from the 'Intro' screen, and also add the ability to adjust them on the fly from the race screen.

I've also added a 'Driver 1 Into the pits', 'Driver 6 Leaving the pits' sound option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Bruce,

but you still do something else than HSSRMS???

Ok, I've moved to our new home and have now space to set up a track for more than one day... I'll try to start again on the helpfile with the 1.38 beta some date next week. I'll get back to you then.

Bye from the sunny Black Forest
Matthias

·
Bruce Yingling
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
After a great deal of soul searching, I've decided to discontinue development of HSSRMS.

I've spent the last two months trying to build some measure of reliability into the software. Twice I thought that I had hammered out a reliable and robust package. Tests ran successfully for many hours without any problems. In both cases, sadly, I was wrong. Test a week later with the exact same package and it won't run for 5 minutes. I've spent far too many of my slot car hours on this in 2011, and I've gotten nowhere.

It's not fun any more, and frankly, I'm embarrassed by the behavior of the beta releases.

v1.22 will be the last full release, and v1.38 will be the final CU-aware beta.

·
Registered
247 Posts
HI Bruce,

Sad to hear this. Maybe you just need a break. Nothing can stop you frpm coming back to it later. You couldb be known as the Favre of slot car software

Anyway.. I have been using, albeit on a limited basis, the latest release and have had 0, zero, none, nada, nil, null, issues.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Bruce
This is a sad day for the users of your great RMS software.

I would like to say a big THANKYOU for you past efforts on getting this software to were it is today - in our opinion the best!

Even though I am disappointed not to get the random events happening, the part I was really hanging out for, I can understand your frustration when you get the package fully functioning one week but it fails the next.

As Bruce2 said maybe making this decision is only a temporary thing and after leaving the software alone for a time you may get back to it again?

Anyway Bruce, V1.38 is working like a charm and has made our racing much more technical and fun - this is all due to you.

Many thanks and 3 cheers to you

From us Aussie Users

·
Greg Gaub
16,409 Posts
Not that I don't enjoy a good 4/1 joke, but credit for that one goes to Mr.M, not me, in case anyone mistook him for me... or vice versa... not sure which is worse.

·
Greg Gaub
16,409 Posts
ok... so it's way past the first, and Bruce hasn't come back to say it was a joke... so now I'm actually worried that he wasn't joking.
Bruce... say it ain't so!

681 - 700 of 1208 Posts