SlotForum banner
1181 - 1191 of 1191 Posts

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
There is a new version (2.403) up on the website.

If you are using the arduino decoder to turn all of your controllers into track call devices, then I highly recommend you update to this version. It includes a new script for your arduino device as well as a new version of the software. I had experienced program lockups and drops in communication with the arduino using v2.304. This version has been run continuously for days on end w/o any failures. No lockups, no loss of communication.

It surprises me that so few people have taken advantage of the arduino decoder feature. It's about as simple an arduino project as you can get, and it transforms practice as well as races with the ability to pop the start lights right from your controller.

Even if you are not using the every_controller_a_ track_call_button feature, I still recommend you update to this version if you are using 2.304.

There is also one new feature, that will work with or without the arduino. If you raise the start lights to stop the cars on your track, this version will allow you to by-pass the long 5 LED countdown from the CU to restart the race. The program will give a brief, verbal countdown- 3..2..1..GO, and release the cars. There is also no chance of a false start using this feature. The countdown proceeds and the track goes live, even if you squeeze the throttle during the countdown. That's actually the main reason I added it- the long countdown and false starts can be frustrating when you just want to get back to racing. The start of a heat still uses the regular CU countdown, and false starts can still happen there (remember, if you are using an arduino decoder, the software will identify the false start car).

I have some ideas for some major new features- but I haven't decided yet which way I want to proceed. They will definitely require an arduino decoder (it's 2 resisters and a diode!), but depending how I proceed, they may require a more 'advanced' arduino project.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Even if I use another RMS, your Arduino feature is a BIG add-on. And it costs less than buy 6 box with track-call button!

The last news (restart without countdown AND false start) has pro and cons, expecially if you restart with 6 big motors ..

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
The last news (restart without countdown AND false start) has pro and cons, expecially if you restart with 6 big motors ..
You can use either one. The short countdown w/o false start or use the CU's traditional five LED countdown w/false start. You're right- immediate amp draw with 6 heavy cars and/or 6 big motors would likely be high.

I estimate I have at most 100 users worldwide. So a very small pool to draw from. But I think only two people are taking advantage of the arduino option, which surprises me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Bruce,

I've been using the arduino add-on with HSSRMS, I must say that it's a fantastic feature to have the call buttons 'built-in' the controlers. Specialy when racing with the kids!

Slowly getting the familiar with your software, I'm used to managing RC Car races, Slot car is a bit different.

I was woundering, for the car database, what size images should be used ? I'm currenly using large images (4032 x 3024) and the don't look good when displayed in the software. Should I scale them down to get better results?

Thanks

PYM

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,188 ·
You should use much smaller images. Even on a huge monitor, they rarely get displayed on anything larger than a 200x160 canvas or thereabouts. Windows has to scale them to fit, so if you use a *good* imaging program to shrink them beforehand, they will likely look better. I generally use images in the 320x240 range.

Using overly large images also slows down the program quite a bit in certain spots and under certain conditions, because the images have to be resized on the fly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Bruce,

I just setup the Arduino for the track call and it is a awesome add on. Thank you so much. Great for the kids. Quick question, I was wondering if the might be a way to use the Arduino with this sketch to do section timing. I am not very familiar with Arduino but would be willing to give it a shot if you thought it might be possible.

Thank you for the awesome software,

Kevin

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Hello Bruce,

I just setup the Arduino for the track call and it is a awesome add on. Thank you so much. Great for the kids. Quick question, I was wondering if the might be a way to use the Arduino with this sketch to do section timing. I am not very familiar with Arduino but would be willing to give it a shot if you thought it might be possible.

Thank you for the awesome software,

Kevin
If you want sector timing, easiest thing to do is buy one of the Carrera check lane (#30371) track pieces, or one of the old (#30342) lap counters with another PC cable to connect it to the computer. With either of those, there would be native support in the software. There is currently no support for receiving sector data from an arduino.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want sector timing, easiest thing to do is buy one of the Carrera check lane (#30371) track pieces, or one of the old (#30342) lap counters with another PC cable to connect it to the computer. With either of those, there would ne native support in the software. There is currently no support for receiving sector data from an arduino.
Ok, that is what I figured but thought I would check before spending the money to do that.

Thank you again,

Kevin

1181 - 1191 of 1191 Posts