SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
Cheap decoder chips is the key. I'm pretty sure they are manufactured for pennies apiece.

I wonder how the carrera replacements will be priced? Their digital cars are only $5 more than standard analog cars.

· Registered
523 Posts
Old guard thinking. I suppose from his perspective it is another hobby. From my perspective, it is a better hobby.

I agree, digital is in its infancy and there are growing pains. Complexity level does not concern me. Digital slot cars have less complexity than RC and RC is very popular. It still meets the primary objective which is to get me off the computer, and the additional "complexity" is not a problem for those in the computer generation.

People get smarter all the time and demand more from their hobbies. Digtal meets my expectations in that way and Im excited to be an early adopter. Having run Carrera Digital on a moderately large road course I am seeing the potential. The light really "goes on" when you accidentally jump lanes and realize you still have control of the car. No more riders! Throttle response is identical to analog so from driving perspective, you do not know it is digital.

· Registered
523 Posts
Old guard thinking. I suppose from his perspective it is another hobby. From my perspective, it is a better hobby.

Well, I succeeded in my effort to fire someone up. Actually, I agree with you. I'm always willing to try something new, at least once. Digital slot racing was just a matter of time. I'm really surprized it hasn't hit before now but, I'm sure some basement dweller somewhere has done this on his home track and is saying, "Hey, I invented that!!" There will be growing pains and I would be reluctant to spend money on it until it is standardized and I can easily adapt a system to my routed track. In the meantime, I will wait and see if this concept sinks or swims.
mike
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good attitude. I'm builing a Carrera digital "club" track. The LCs between scalectric and carrera are similar enough that if scalectric emerges as a standard, I can fit the carrera LCs with scaly solenoids and sensors and run scaly digital. I think wood track builders will find the same thing, that the digital aspects are separate from the track material and can be fitted to their application.

I agree there will be some obsoleted hardware along the way, so maybe best to wait.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.