SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to ask, if anyone knows a low-cost alternative for zero grip tyres on frontaxles? As the grip of my slot.it cars with original tyres on my track is extremely good, the front wheels of the cars start to stutter in tight curves. This surely might be solved by "Zero Grip Tyres" but I am searching for a fast and low budget solution. Thought about some coating? Any thoughts welcome.

Regards Jens

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,828 Posts
Tip I have read on this one is coat the tyres with either clear nail polish or super glue. I have used clear nail polish and it works fine.

Take the axle out of the car , put some nail polish or super glue on a piece of plastic and roll the wheels through it should give a nice even coat and should create a good low grip tyre - do it in a well ventilated area as the fumes from both can be a bit much.

DM

·
Greg Gaub
15,345 Posts
I used nail polish at first, but I found with some tires that it will crack and peel. Maybe it was bad polish, or the tires were not suitable, I don't know.
I switched to super glue (cyanoacrylate?) and have not had any problems since. This is much more effective than zero-grips. I got a set thinking they would be pretty slick, but they do have traction. On a well rubbered track, they might still cause chatter. Super glue covered wheels will just slide along the surface of most tracks if the axle is at all snug.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi
I use shrinkage tubing (I seem to us it for many slot car related things). It comes in various diameter to suite the front tyre, its black and last forever. Though you have to work a bit on the edges to make the fit look nicelly with the wheel.

Also, If you need a less dirty alternative to coccoa/flour rallying you could put the tubing over the rear wheels on 4WD cars. Thats my favorite mode of slotcaring

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I've used clear acrylic lacquer to good effect on cars I run on my Scalextric Sport race track.

It didn't work on my Fly BMW E30 rally car on my Scalextric classic/SCX rally track, though. 5 laps (500ft total) and it had worn off.
I'm going to try Superglue on that one, or some hard nail varnish.

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
I have painted some front tyres with 'Klear' floor polish - the same stuff as used to protect car bodies - and that works very well, reducing the grip but without a rock-hard effect of glue.

Mooster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.