SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just thought I would share my track I've been working on. Track size is 3.5m x 1.2m & is routed & copper taped. The vision for this track is obviously from the movie American Graffiti. The track layout is fairly odd but it will make sense once the scenery is added. This track will be more scenery based over a all out racing track. As a matter of fact the racing line was made up by working around my scenery ideas. I plan to add in a lot of aspects & scenes from the movie into the scenery. I was worried the tight hairpin near the diner would be to tight but its not & is very fun drifting around the corner.

This track is based around 1/25 scale. Mels Diner was scratch built out of MDF & styrene to 1/25 or so scale.The Mels Diner sign lights up & I can turn the lights on & off separately to the cars. I'm using Scorpius Wireless controllers for analog tracks as I really wanted wireless for this track. With the controllers being wireless I don't really need drivers stations so I can keep the outside of the track clean. Controller hookups are inside the cabinet.

All the cars you see are custom made slot cars & I'm able to drive all the cars on the track & use for scenery. Anyways theres pretty much everything left to do. Ill probably putty & paint up the cabinet & then onto the scenery. Also not forgetting the all the cars from the movie to be built. Wish me luck!

Thanks for looking :)

Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Motor vehicle Table Mode of transport Automotive design Rectangle
Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Property Rectangle Wood Architecture Floor
Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood Font

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Where's Milner?

·
Registered
373 Posts
In '62? I was 4 years old, but I was 15 when the movie came out and loved it. My Mom was a carhop at a Mel's drive in in southern California, but at her store they didn't use skates.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, that's great! I think all we need is a slot scooter for Toad to crash into Mel's 🤣. Oh, and a pirate radio station.

·
ParrotGod
9,853 Posts
Small track but lots of character. Nice collection of cars as well.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What a nice small track! Excelent project, in ‘62 I wasn’t born yet btw hehehe.

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some fabulous cars there. :cool:

Are they all slots? Some diecasts? Custom builds from static kits?

Whatever, a fabulous collection. Can't wait to watch progress on this build (y)

Oops, re-read it and see they are all custom builds. Did you do the paint?
Hi Top Down, Thanks for the replies. Yes I built all the cars. All were started from Plastic model kits or Resin kits. All cars are in working order & have a mixture of H&R brass, MJK Stainless & scratch built chassis under them. They run surprisingly well with the slim tires & lower RPM motors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent work! What locations are you planning to add?
Hi thanks for your interest. I don't know how well you know the movie but Im planning on the following scenes from the movie to be portrayed. Other than the obvious carhops around the diner
  • Jerrys Cherry & the police car with the ripped out diff
  • Kurt & the phone box
  • Kurt sitting on hood of car watching TV & the Pharaohs
  • Milner & young girl putting shaving cram on the Caddy.

I have space on a section of track but not sure what to put there at this stage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that's great! I think all we need is a slot scooter for Toad to crash into Mel's 🤣. Oh, and a pirate radio station.
Ive actually got Toads scooter. Just not on the track yet. Its not motorised but that could be really cool!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In '62? I was 4 years old, but I was 15 when the movie came out and loved it. My Mom was a carhop at a Mel's drive in in southern California, but at her store they didn't use skates.
Sweet cars, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi thanks for your interest. I don't know how well you know the movie but Im planning on the following scenes from the movie to be portrayed. Other than the obvious carhops around the diner
  • Jerrys Cherry & the police car with the ripped out diff
  • Kurt & the phone box
  • Kurt sitting on hood of car watching TV & the Pharaohs
  • Milner & young girl putting shaving cram on the Caddy.

I have space on a section of track but not sure what to put there at this stage.
I know the movie very well. It is one of my favorites! Good scene choices listed above. Have you considered the drag race at Paradise Road for the other location?

·
Registered
Collect and race Strombecker primarily, but have other makes, too.
194 Posts
"Where were you in '62"?

As a 10 year old in '62, during this same time of year I was anxiously awaiting the biggest event in a child's life: CHRISTMAS!

I had my fingers crossed that mom and dad would come through with the small inexpensive HO train set I had hoped for. Little did I realize they were going to top that in spades. BUT... I wouldn't find that out until Christmas Eve, '62. So, today in '62, I was still hoping and looking forward to Christmas Eve.

Andre

·
ParrotGod
9,853 Posts
Thankyou so much for your nice reply Grunz. Still a lot to do on the track & many cars still to make.
I think a track is never finished. But that diner really sets the scene especially with the cars parked outside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts