SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Who would be interested in racing in some races like they do in the states using Wizzard, BSRT and SlotTech chassis with lexan bodies? They run on tracks that are in 4 foot by 12 to 16 foot. Maybe host rounds in one place or move around depending on what you want to do. I know that on eBay currently can get the Wizzard Storm Extreme cars delivered for £30. Number of classes etc depend on the interest. Just a thought as be something different that not done in this country but extremely successful in the States.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
That Storm Extreme is pretty much what I ran at Marlborough in Pro-Mod.

I reckon we're very lucky to run those cars on the big Eahorc tracks - the American guys are constrained by the size of their basements

The 'hobby' chassis are really good fun to work on and not massively expensive compared with the bigger scales. £30 is more than you'd pay for the Storm Extreme from Bob's.

We've been running all three chassis at Eahorc for quite a few years with hard and lexan bodies. Plus there was a class for Wizzard cars that ran for three seasons to usher in the lexan era.

As for UK 'basement racing' - I think people prefer running slower stuff. Down in Brighton, the pancake cars, Turbos etc are more fun on our smaller tracks. Many UK homes are far too small for a 16x4 or even 12x4 track.

It's still fun to run the 'hobby' cars at home, but with weaker traction mags and 6 ohm arms. And there are the brass-weighted versions too.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Dave who?

Lee, I think what you are asking about is less dependent on the chassis used and is more asking, who has a decent size four lane layout at home and can host some races!

Which is a question I have asked in the past as well.

I have a 6.5 by 4 foot table for my layout and I don't like running cars that are too quick on it. For the simple reason that it isn't as fun to pull the trigger and watch a blur while not doing much. It is more interesting to drive a slower car where braking, acceleration and even some drifting is all possible during a lap. The car is still quick but it is slow enough to follow round the track.

As Andy said we had a session on my track with Tomy Turbos and X-Tractions and they were an absolute blast. The LifeLike Ms were good too.

Once I've moved house and have my mancave set up, I'll be hosting more races on an extended layout and you'd be welcome to come down and join us. And of course if four people turned up with Storm Extremes and wanted to race them, it wouldn't be a problem. I'd just stand back and laugh when their necks gave up!

Actually that's a good point. If you've ever gone to a rock or metal club and headbanged to some tunes, you often find your neck is absolutely killing you the next day. You have to build up the muscles to cope with it. Its the same thing with driving very, very fast HO cars on an 8 by 4 track. You'll be fine for a while but then travel sickness may kick in and then your neck will give up!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
It took me a long time to suss the American scene was possibily based around a lot more North American homes having basements, lofts etc than you get here.

In one of those odd linear thinking outcomes that can happen, the 'serious' racing still takes place on the same layouts (some costing $1000s). Even when they have a national level meeting in huge rooms they lug basement tracks to these rooms.

Personally I find anything faster than a stock Tyco to be unenjoyable on such tracks. On the flip side, it was not until I ran on such tracks that Fray Jets and Tycos with weights made sense to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.