SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 54 Posts

· Registered
709 Posts
I saw that already and it only mentions the KM-2.
Maybe the KM-1 is the one with the weird guide pin:

Gesture Font Parallel Elbow Auto part

Everything else seems to be the same. I've never seen a photo of one of these, maybe production was very low or limited to a region (Canada?).

Just out of curiosity. Why does the top chassis have the words "Hong Kong" blanked out? And the resolution of the brand name is barely legible? Could it be a clone/copy chassis?
According to the site I linked earlier the chassis were made in China. They probably made the molds with "Made in Hong Kong" but moved production to China and didn´t want to make a new mold.

· Registered
709 Posts
Here is the latest revision of my article on the history of Life-Like cars: Lifelike History Rev 4.pdf
For that article I got information directly from Philippe de Lespinay.
I will have to look more closely at the previous posts to see if there is any new information that might be added to my article.
No mention of KM-1 and according to your data AMRAC's chassis was the same as Cox's. I've seen KM-1 mentioned in other forums, so what is the KM-1?

· Registered
709 Posts
Here are the AMRAC chassis I have. All but one have the "Hong Kong" blanked out, only two say AMRAC, one is lighted and one has the orange magnet.

Automotive tire Tire Gas Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Wood Camera lens

Here's some detail on each one:
Automotive tire Wood Circuit component Gas Rectangle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

No branding, "Hong Kong"blanked out.

Automotive tire Wood Wheel Gas Tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

No branding, "Hong Kong"blanked out. Lighted.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Camera lens Camera accessory
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

AMRAC branding, "Hong Kong" blanked out, orange magnet.

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Machine tool
Wheel Automotive tire Rolling Tire Motor vehicle

AMRAC branding, says "Made in Hong Kong". This one had a bad armature and was in the process of replacing it with a Tyco 440 armature, while disassembling it one of the collector plates fell off and dissapeared. It'll probably appear again, some day.

· Registered
709 Posts
What is the "Adjustamatic" chassis mentioned on the KM-2 package?
Maybe you can adjust errr, the pickup shoes?

I see that your orange magnet chassis is also geared opposite. I haven't done any testing yet to see if there is a performance difference between these two.
You could swap the magnets to make the wheels spin in the same direction as the cars with black magnets. I don't think it'll affect handling or performance, unless the armature is somehow tuned to spin backwards.

Maybe the difference between KM-1 and KM-2 is the magnet colors? I haven't track tested any of mine yet, so cannot comment if there's any difference between them, performance wise, either.

· Registered
709 Posts
China

XXXXXX
Made in

I got the cars out and dug through my big shoe box of many chassis.

I've collected a handfull over the years, until the prices got more stupid than usual. I still watch "AMRAC" auctions. I've never seen even a pic of the KM-1 with the odd style guide . (TFX just re-treaded the idea somewhat, ha!)

The lore went that, Cox examples H0 had the grey/pewter colored rims. Seldom seen in the wild, examples are getting near unobtanium these days. You still see many of the other models available.

There is no "Cox" logo on the chassis. I cant exclude the possibility that the hubs may have been changed. The car was loose, not MIP. I still take Tom at his word. There are no gerfs or garges on the rims.

A unique/helpful quirk. They labeled the glass inserts.

With or without the large rear "AMRAC" logo, the Hong Kong is blanked off. The "Made in" remains. The word China was added up and away, near the contact patch of the drivers side pick up shoe. Essentially they scribbled out HK and crib noted the "China" bit. Seems odd, but I wasnt there that day.

Spare working chassis produced the variation below

Just the word "China".

The lighted version.

Extra weird! The word "China" replaces the Honk Kpong blank out and the centrally located "Made in". "Made in" was moved up and sideways, and quite a bit larger. Note the tiny bit of the AMRAC logo that oozed out from their efforts to block it! Early Rokar?

I've always liked the AMRAC. Light and nimble. Unlike the G-plus. They've got gobs of giddy-up. The extended flux condensers work great, for what they are. Converted from sponge to silicones they're, ferocious right to the limit, then yer gone! A flux car, you still have to put your sandwich down, and drive them.
Nice specimens you got there. I have one Datsun and the white Porsche. I have a weakness for Porsches. Today I saw one just like the silver Porsche in the picture, although the listing said Tyco :unsure:

I am quite enjoying these, too. I have one white Porsche that is a survivor from my youth. It needed tires and pickups that I have just recently acquired. They are very different animals with the silicone tires. Two of my recent additions have sponge tires that are in very good condition and I really like the way that they handle. I have never seen a slot car that recovers itself from spins the way these do quite often. I will have to catch some video clips of this. I chalk it up to flux capacitor voodoo. I don't think that this is happening with the silicone tires.
For some reason I got obsessed in finding a few of these COX/AMRAC/ROKAR cars, still have had no time to tinker with them. I do like the G Plus and variations, the Screechers are very fast but too light and hard to control. Silicon tires make a lot of difference.

· Registered
709 Posts
Behold!

Interesting. The photo is very bad quality, but it seems like it says AMRAC and it certainly says "Made in Hong Kong".

Looks the same as KM-2. Who knows. KM-1 made in HK, KM-2 made in China?

BTW, where can I get the " wings" for these chassis? The ones from the G Plus don't fit without modification.

· Registered
709 Posts
Flux capacitor voodoo!!!

Voodoo indeed! What happens when you reach 88mph?

Glock:
"Looks the same as KM-2. Who knows. KM-1 made in HK, KM-2 made in China?"

I saw it differently on the bigscreen. Open the auction, but dont blow the picks up. Blow the thumbnails up with the magnifier instead.

Study the center chassis. You can make out the front spindles quite clearly. Inbetween the spindles you can also definitively see the unique horizontal "wicket" or strap, which locates the guide.

KM-1
I'll see it on the computer later.

· Registered
709 Posts
Here is the chassis that I mentioned earlier. It is incomplete, the magnets and flux collectors are missing and the armature is suspect because it appears to be epoxy coated.

The chassis plainly lacks the regular guide pin holder, it is marked Made in Hong Kong and has the Cox trademark that would not have been found on the AMRAC cars.
On the computer the photos look clearer. I upped the contrast a bit. In this KM-1 it has the regular pin holder and also the fixture for the slide-in guide pin. Another difference from the Cox chassis is the holes for the crown gear.

Art Font Urban design Rectangle Landscape

· Registered
709 Posts
I was going trough some boxes and putting some order on my slot car stuff and I stumbled upon 2 more AMRAC chassis, one that only says "China" and the other one with the slide-in guide pin hole. Seems like I have one of each variation.

Auto part Metal Rectangle Engineering

The "China" chassis seems to have better moldings and is better finished.

Gas Auto part Machine Engineering Titanium

Gas Machine Auto part Engineering Automotive exterior

This would be The KM-1 according to the info on this thread. It does not have the "wing" flux collectors, probably the previous owner changed them or some KM-1 didn't have wings?

The later ROKAR chassis didn't have wings according from what I've read.

These were incomplete, I have a lot of parts there to repair a couple of them. What I'm missing if the wing flux collectors.

· Registered
709 Posts
Here is the chassis that I mentioned earlier. It is incomplete, the magnets and flux collectors are missing and the armature is suspect because it appears to be epoxy coated.

The chassis plainly lacks the regular guide pin holder, it is marked Made in Hong Kong and has the Cox trademark that would not have been found on the AMRAC cars.
In the box where I had all the AMRAC stuff I found an armature with green lacquer, but not as smooth as that one, just a fine layer. It's possible some cars shipped with a gree painted armature.

1 - 14 of 54 Posts