SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A looooong time ago Howmet showed us his How-di-do. Being an impressionable young man I thought that something similar would be a jolly good idea for my spare Top Slot Chapparal 2D shell.

Not being one to rush into things I contacted Howmet for a bit of advice before starting, however after a few e-mails he had managed to persuade me to have a go at the Daytona car.

Armed with some scans he kindly provided for reference I made a start.... and then got sidetracked. Anyway - I've had a bit of time off work this week and decided that I would finalise it - here's the results with an original 2D for comparison (apologies for the poor pic quality:my 20th Century digital camera is definitely on it's last legs!)

There are a couple of things I would have perhaps liked to have changed - I'm not convinced the filler caps are in the right place or the right shape - I've left them as they were on the original shell. Also, the detail at the rear is incorrect - I had planned to change it, but after re-shaping the body I managed to convince myself that taking a dremel to the back was a bad idea - I'd have had more confidence if I'd attempted it first!

The chassis is fitted, but I need to reduce the size of the rear tyres as they're a little tight at the moment before I can run it.

On the whole though this was probably the most ambitious project I've tried - and I'm more than happy with the results. I just need to track down another shell and then I'll do the Sebring car too!

Paul

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alan,

the chassis is an EJ's chassis of course (although I am running low on them now - down to my last four!)

I'm desperately waiting to see if Resilient Resins will offer a Chapparal 1 shell.....

McLaren - the Daytona car is the one with the rear wing.

Paul

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Great to hear about the Chappie, Revvvs. Scratchbuilding is all about patience, ain't it? I still get my 2D out from time to do a bit more, and also my version of the MRRC model as Hap Sharp's Nassau car with the tall injector stacks.
Always so much to look forward to....
The Chappie 1 is a bit of a brute to my eyes, compared with Jim Hall's subsequent masterpieces. What I'd really like to see is a really accurate 2E or G, so I can stop messing around with my old SCX thingie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts