SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi Drummer
QUOTE (drummer @ 21 Jan 2005, 15:49)Can we do this with SSD?Sure ... this will work with any system.

Electrically it's the same as changing the power bases physically.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi all.

Søren, IMHO there's something to be studied before SSD LC's go analog: since SSD is the only system with "floating flipper" (LC piece never stays firmly on one side), perhaps some extra mod would be necessary such as low coil voltage (something like 3v or so) to keep LC always actuating to go straight forward. Or just a physical object to keep it in correct position (remember to remove ir before running digital!).

Any idea?

·
Registered
38 Posts
you could do it but...
I'm fairly sure SSD LCs electrically connect both the lanes together. - meaning you analogue circuit could only be controlled by a single controller.
It would be possible to take the back off each LC and disconnect the wires from the centre section to one of the lanes.

I have found from running cars in the wrong direction round my track that these tend to stay where they are left when free-floating. you could use a blob of blue tack or tape to fix it in position.

The only issue after that i can see is the LC sensor circuitry. I don't know what they'll do if they get DC. I think they have a rectifier to power the solenoids and chips but, but it might still do them harm. (SSD hand book advises you must NEVER put LCs in an analogue track as serious damage may be caused to the LCs, who am I to disagree with them?)

A safe solution would be to add switches at the side of the track for each one to disconnect power, or route wires back to your SSD control box thing or another power source.

It might help with overloads too.

Iain

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly could be an important consideration Nep72.

Hmmm...

Perhaps we could simply reverse the analog to Switch box polarity and then they'd run in the reverse against the LC change direction (which doesnt seem to be a problem for the cars).

Problem solved?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Helo Iain, I believe in the ProX topic he mentions disconnection of the LC power and connecting this to the switch box also, (if I understand that correctly), ..

but YES, it may be a good driver to investigate the concept of powering the LCs from a source other than the track (which I think we've talked about).

·
Registered
197 Posts
QUOTE (drummer @ 22 Jan 2005, 02:29)Certainly could be an important consideration Nep72.

Hmmm...

Perhaps we could simply reverse the analog to Switch box polarity and then they'd run in the reverse against the LC change direction (which doesnt seem to be a problem for the cars).

Problem solved?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi drummer, all.

I'm afraid not.

Since all SSD LC's are able to be reversed (just add two coils under output "flipper" and a 1/2 straight-sensor, violà), both LC pieces are free, "floating", not tightened against anything.

My suggestion is, as described before

1) Make a physical piece to hold flipper in place. Maybe adhesive tape?

2) Feed "straight magnet" with low voltage to keep as desired and not enough power to fry it.

By the way, I've been testing LC's and, if you leave a car just over the sensor, magnet is power every second but just for a while.

Oh, yes, another question is "connecting slot" as Iain commented, but I though that was also solved on Carrera tracks: if both electric rails are connected shorting rails from every track, just cut them. If they are not, why worry?

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi Nep72
QUOTE (Nep72 @ 22 Jan 2005, 00:53)since SSD is the only system with "floating flipper" (LC piece never stays firmly on one side), perhaps some extra mod would be necessary such as low coil voltage (something like 3v or so) to keep LC always actuating to go straight forward. Or just a physical object to keep it in correct position (remember to remove ir before running digital!).This can be done by software ... if you pulse out a 25% PWM signal to the solenoid drivers, it would work just as if you had a 3V permanent signal on the coil ... like a programmable weak holding current.

You could mix short digital telegrams in analog mode, to configure the lane changes to analog mode. When they are in analog mode, they don't perform lane changes, but only transmit timing signals and provide a weak holding current for the solenoids.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's a good idea, Søren. On the other side, I've been testing LC this weekend: if you leave a car on the sensor, LC is powered every second. This could be useful for analog, cheating LC making it think as the car always wants to go "straight forward", solenoid would be safely triggered. One drawback: current consumption.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (Nep72 @ 24 Jan 2005, 08:13)One drawback: current consumption.One of the functions we are looking at with CarDCC is the ability to add extra track controllers. This would make it possible to control and supply the lane changes and the track side lighting signals completely independant of the track.

That would eliminate any current sharing or voltage drop issues between cars and the stationary track controllers such as lane changes and light controllers.

It would also allow you to run the lights and lane changes in full power digital mode, while the track is running in analog mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
QUOTE (drummer @ 22 Jan 2005, 02:33)Helo Iain, I believe in the ProX topic he mentions disconnection of the LC power and connecting this to the switch box also, (if I understand that correctly), ..
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I probably should have read the stuff in that link you posted at the start...
before I replied!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts