SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, I have been looking at getting a Variable DC Power Supply to use with a large Carrera 1:24 track layout. I found this harness that will fit on a Professor motors 0 - 20V power supply and hook to a Carrera Analog track piece. The Professor Motor power supply is fine, but is expensive...around $180. I have been looking at a variety of others like Pyramid and many listed on Amazon. My question. What power supplies, besides the Prof. Motors power unit ,can I use this analog harness with? Thanks!

Electrical wiring Cable Auto part Wire Electrical supply

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
One thing that you have to start considering is that you will need power taps so you should start planning for this too if you want to build a large layout.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a total flop at electrical and such things. I was looking at the Analog Carrera Track where the power supply gets attached to and am not sure which end goes into those 2 plugs on the track. Just have me baffled, since the Professor Motor Power Supply is the only one listed on the Carrera website and others. So, all I need is the power supply and that harness and nothing else to hook this up? Thanks!

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
I knew that I was going to over load you...
Power taps or power boosters are extra wires to bring the power to different part of the track to even up the power distribution.
This is due to the material used for the rails in carrera track that is not that conductive.
With carrera you usually need a power booster every 10 track joints.

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Almost all tracks except Policar and Scaleauto have power issues due to the connectivity of the track pieces, power taps ensure electrical continuity on all the track.
I would not be so sure about that. If a layout start to get big (over 20 meters) I would say that you need power taps also in those two systems.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I would not be so sure about that. If a layout start to get big (over 20 meters) I would say that you need power taps also in those two systems.
In the a slot Club Ferreria in the northwest part of Mexico City the track was renewed with a 15mts Policar track, no power taps and no problems since ..ever, today it’s the first anniversary btw😉

Asphalt Urban design Road surface Track Thoroughfare

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Nice layout. But you said that the layout above is 15m?
The thing is that no matter what, every track joints will lose you power.
So after a X number of track joints you will need to put in taps.

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
Correct. Even wire has resistance and will lose power over a distance... just less than pressure based connections like slot car track sections. Sometimes it's not enough to notice, but more often it's not enough to rectify. There are tracks in my clubs that still have power issues I feel (and complain about), that have not been rectified because of the work involved. :(

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Nice layout. But you said that the layout above is 15m?
The thing is that no matter what, every track joints will lose you power.
So after a X number of track joints you will need to put in taps.
Maybe, but for a home track wouldn’t be necessary, whereas with other brands I remember that I had to use power taps at my home track due to the lose of power. I asume that even if you have to put some power taps in a club track wouldn’t be as many as with other brands, so less work, money and mess…😉

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Yes, that is huge...but 10 power taps for 135 ft is one power tap for every 13,5 ft which is roughly every 4 meters.
The OP said that they are building a large carrera layout...what is large for them I cannot tell.
But for anything above 20 meters I would suggest to put power taps no matter which brand.
Granted, Policar or Scaleauto track might need less power taps than a Carrera track, but still they would require some no matter how good their connecters/rails are.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a total flop at electrical and such things. I was looking at the Analog Carrera Track where the power supply gets attached to and am not sure which end goes into those 2 plugs on the track. Just have me baffled, since the Professor Motor Power Supply is the only one listed on the Carrera website and others. So, all I need is the power supply and that harness and nothing else to hook this up? Thanks!

how big is your track? how many metres long? i have a carrera digital at 17 metres and there is no noticable power drop on that track when driving. i wouldn't get too hung up on it at this point. just build your track and try it with the original supply. it will still work and you can get a feel for it then later get the variable voltage supply and upgrade the wiring.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for this information. I am going to go with the power supply that comes with Carrera sets and see how it works. Haven't measured the track length yet, still waiting to get my table fun. I plan just to run analog for the time being.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts