SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My 1st thread...

This may have been visited before, sorry if it has.

I have a rug racer set up and looking to expand so the kids and I can all race together.

Wanting to know what the advantages of going digital over setting up a 4 lane track. the cost of digitial seems huge AU$250 for the power base then add on the transformer au$60 controllers Au$30 each, lane changers Au$40 each, and chips AU$30 each, so at least $600.

If I go for the 4 four lane set up it probably would suit the beginner racer that will be the main users

Thanks

Tristan

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
You can buy a complete system with 3 cars and 3 controllers for $469 but does not include a lapcounter or the latest 6 car powerbase. If you still want to have fun 4 lane analogue is still feasible but I'm not sure the best way to count laps, you will probably need an aftermarket lapcounting system which will probably require a PC. By the way the straight lane changers are $89 not 40.

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick, not sure that lap counting really important for a Dad, 6 year old and 3 year old, but appreciate the imput

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
With time you will see it became essential.
With your sons at that age I am not sure they will appreciate digital with chamging and all that.
I started digital with my two boy at 4 and 6 years old and they were racing mostly like analogue.
If you have the space 4 lanes will be fun and simple.
Then with the time you will see.

Cheers,
JamieG

·
David.
1,140 Posts
Never thought I'd say this but yeah, analogue seams to be the best option, if you have the track to make it 4 lanes then you're off, and analogue's easier to use so you don't need to supervise to sort everything out, it's the plug and play option of the 2 really. Pluss the cars are cheaper than the digital and digi ready ones so you can afford the spills a bit more. But, as time goes by and the kids get older they'll be able to understand how everything works and they'll know if they want to continue with the hobby and you never know, you might still want to change over to digital, and why not? But I'd go analogue for now.

·
Registered
581 Posts
QUOTE (Tristan @ 14 Aug 2011, 05:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I go for the 4 four lane set up it probably would suit the beginner racer that will be the main users

I tend to agree. As much as I love digital it can require some additional skill to use it well. Analogue is pretty straightforward and everybody would have their own lane...good clean fun!

If you want, buy track sctions carefully and you can always go digital later if you want.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're right about the cost, but as has been said, a good lap counter/timer will bring your costs up similar to the digital. I race both, and digital is hair raising! If you're just starting out, I would suggest going digital, because you have the option of analog also. I'm speaking from my experience with Scalextric systems. I'm not sure about the others, but I know with some, you can't use analog track for digital racing. With Scalextric, all you need are the digital lange-change/sensor pieces, and the digital power base to convert. The digital power base will also run in analog mode.

Rob

·
Registered
433 Posts
G'day Tristan,
I tossed up between having a four lane track or going digital because of the same situation as yourself that I also have a 3 and 6 yr old who always want to have a race with Dad(Plus an 18mth old). Due to the space the 4 lane track can take up I decided to go with the new 6 car pb and truth be told I'm glad I did. I take it from your post having everything priced in $AU that you are probably an Aussie. Yeah, most scalextric stuff here in Oz is massively overpriced, this was one thing that was putting me off digital. You can get the same products from the sponsors on this forum for a lot cheaper. I purchased my 6car PB, 6 controllers,chips and lane changers all from the UK from a couple of well known slot suppliers. I would have loved to get them round the corner from my local hobby shop but they wanted $110 AU for a pit lane pack (I picked it up for $45AU). Buying from overseas suppliers is great as far as I'm concerned, delivered straight to the front door, and will save you an absolute fortune. You should be able to get the pb for around $130-$150, controllers for $20ea, LC's for $40 as you said(not the $100 they charge in oz) and the chips for $12-15 ea. You don't have to buy everything at once, get the pb, add at least the 3 controllers for yourself and the kids, start with the one lane changer and if you already have some cars just chip 3 to begin with and over time add more of everything else. I started out with the Mountain Mayhem set and added the Full Power set to this about 3 months later. Added more cars, got a great deal off another bloke who was quitting scaley for ninco for approx 5 more sets (went halves with a mate who now has a big track set up) and added the digital stuff later. I still might change my set up into four lanes because with the pit lane digital pieces you can go 1-2-3 or 4 lanes if you like. Think about what you want and if you are going to continue with the hobby for some time, I'm still learning about most things slot but you can't go past this forum for all the information that you need and plenty of people who can help you out.
Enjoy
Matt

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
If you go with the 4 lane analogue , you can always use just one lane ccrossover on say the outside lanes, Making 3 lane analogue with each alternative lap for the outside being different. Gives the kids a chance and makes driving bit more of a challenge.
Hope this makes sense,
Steve A

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
If you'd like to go digital I would not recommend to buy all 6 controllers from Scaley (maybe just 3 that you can find in same set) and then spend a little bit more to get some quality stuff.
Here you have a very good basic controller from Truspeed-UK which is, based on my experience, ways superior to the scaley ones.
Then you have alternatives with more controls and settings like Slot.it(IT) and Scorpious(AU), see the extensive threads under digital section in SF.
I believe it is something good to know before starting with digital investments but that can be done after you make some experience.
In any case to have the possibility (and space) of a 4 lane track is the best choice with a later on upgrade to digital.
Cheers,
JamieG

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have decided to go 4 lane analogue, purcahsed some 2nd hand sport & classic scalextric track.
Lanes 1 & 2 follow a different path from lane 3 & 4. I still have to build supports for where the track overlaps so books have been used so lanes 1 & 2 can be raced on in the mean time. Not 100% happy the layout but this is the best i could do with the space and budget I have.

Any comments, or ideas for improvement welcome

·
Registered
985 Posts
That looks fine for starters as its simple curves. Its a matter of personal choice wheather you put borders of barriers (or both where the cars can fall on the floor_. The advantage of borders is they are more fun, allowing for drifting and you can make your own really cheap.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Tristan, and a belated welcome to SFi

using elevation is a good way to increase track length, and get an extra dimension when racing.
Just bear in mind tough, that steep angle changes (such as those in the foreground of you picture), should be avoided.
Try to get each track joint as level/even as possible, by using different sized track supports.

The track support under the straight section could prove problematic!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments

I will put a border down the edge of the table - my 3yo only knows flat out and stop
) so de-slots are regular

@Zipp - will take that into consideration when I build supports I havent test driven that track yet - but i guess u could get airbourne

I should metion, my table is made out of an Ikea wardrobe and bed slats - Im a big fan of recycling

1 - 17 of 17 Posts