SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
Heres the analogue/digital track driver station. Proudly a Scorpius idea

Change from Wireless Digital to analogue in seconds. And back.

It doesnt get any easier than this.

The following system is designed for 1 analogue car, but two could be fitted.

Typical (Aussie) analogue driver station. But is same for any analogue driver station ie, alligator clips, bannana plugs etc.

Digital plug inserted, now race Scorpius

Scorpius WAM fitted. (Wireless Analog Module)

Typical analogue controller fitted.

Driver stations will be available on website soon.

Rick

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow, you've read my mind. I've almost finshed my next track design which will be 3 lane analogue & 2 or 3 lane digital. I just need to get my head around changing over the flippers from analogue to digital. Maybe a switch that powers the lane brains down and powers up the flippers for analogue.

Could this be done with diodes?

I would like a simple and elegant changeover if possible, I plan on running some big motors (Cheetahs & 16D's) which I dont think the lane brains (@ rated 7.5 amps) in an analogue mode would handle.

- Cam

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Easiest way is the $4 add on clip to the Peco Solenoiod, perfect for the application!

LB flippers would probably be live by the fact the Peco clip holds the flipper against rail firmly.

LBs could be left in place, they would be getting a 0-14.8V charge but this shouldnt hurt them.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Thats why I suggested this method, and the mechanical aspect comes into play here.

Rick

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi Rick,

GREAT.

Do you have a connection diagramm for the international Parma connectors.

Would like to have a WAM-Module to take to my favourite club tracks.

How do you wire it, if you have the following three connectors?

CODE
Function Color
Track black
Break red
Power+ white

Regards,
Diegu

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No sorry, in any case the WAM is not colour coded to any standard. In fact colours for driver stations change depending where you are.
But simply on the WAM for a positively wired track, and right rail positive:
a)Red goes to positive on power supply
b)Blue LF wire goes to track +
c)Orange LF wire goes to common earth.
d)Black goes to common earth.

*Common earth means both the track and WAM share the same earth.

Also there is a new firmware upgrade for WAM, Ill email the link to everyone concerned.

Rick

·
Registered
636 Posts
ZITAT(injectorman @ 8 Jul 2011, 23:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No sorry, in any case the WAM is not colour coded to any standard. In fact colours for driver stations change depending where you are.
But simply on the WAM for a positively wired track, and right rail positive:
a)Red goes to positive on power supply
b)Blue LF wire goes to track +
c)Orange LF wire goes to common earth.
d)Black goes to common earth.

*Common earth means both the track and WAM share the same earth.

Also there is a new firmware upgrade for WAM, Ill email the link to everyone concerned.

Rick

Rick,
I think i messed things up by mentioning the colors.

I just want to know whether I can connect a WAM module to a given "standard" box for a controller with three wires,.

I would assume the following wiring should be fine:

WAM red goes to Power +.
WAM blue goes to track.
WAM orange and black goes to break.

Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Regards,
Diegu

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats correct Dieter

Enjoy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does anyone know if a multi pole switch is available to perform the switch over from digital to analogue as shown?

Also Rick, are there any issues with having analogue power to the flippers while the lane brain is powered down? Would a diode in the live flipper wire be required?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Camber,
Probably easier to power the LBs seperately so the LBs and hence flippers are powered continuously, held in position by the Peco accessory that holds the solenoid to its last switched position. The flippers should remain live unless a short is sensed in which case they just switch off until activated again digitally.

Rick

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know the lane brains are going to trip on overload with big motors effectively making the flippers dead. I would like to have a pure analogue track.

·
Registered
881 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 12 Jul 2011, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably easier to power the LBs seperately so the LBs and hence flippers are powered continuously, held in position by the Peco accessory that holds the solenoid to its last switched position. The flippers should remain live unless a short is sensed in which case they just switch off until activated again digitally.
I thought a requirement of Scorpius was to have the LB powered off the track rails because it was very important to ensure the voltage going to both the car & LB was the same? Is this no longer the case?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi Rick

Can any damage happen to the lane brain if I want to use an analogue controller to power the flippers while the live flipper wire is still connected from the lane brain and the lane brain has NO power going to it.

- Cam

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Camber,
No it should be ok but Ill double check with John and get back to you.

Heres a short video to explain the best way to run a hybrid track.

Note 2 lanes would allow me to have 2 analogue driver stations should I decide.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (Camber @ 12 Jan 2012, 21:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rick

Can any damage happen to the lane brain if I want to use an analogue controller to power the flippers while the live flipper wire is still connected from the lane brain and the lane brain has NO power going to it.

- Cam

Ok confirming its ok go ahead as long as the LB remains off. It has protection anyway.

Rick

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 12 Jul 2011, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... flippers are powered continuously, held in position by the Peco accessory that holds the solenoid to its last switched position...
Would you mind explaining what the "Peco accessory" is that holds the solenoids? I probably missed it earlier on one of the Scorpius threads, but wondered if this accessory worked with the Hornby/Scalextric solenoids or only with Peco ones.

Thanks.

Cheers!

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I just had a look around and cant find a spare one right now except its just a plastic slide plate that is moulded in such a way it holds the shaft and hence the flipper either side of the slot. Sorry, its Peco specific, I doubt it could be adapted to SSD as its a completely different design.

However we have an electronic solution also for analogue mode. after 2 minutes of inactivity the Lane Brain pops the flipper into analogue default position, ie straight through, and the polarity of the flipper(s) set correctly. No reconfiguring of LBs. LBds automatically convert to digital mode as soon as it receives a lane change command (ie change or do not change). Another goody for 2012.

The only limitation is the LB will give around 7A continuous on the liven flipper. If your car (would probably be a 1/24) draws more than 7A it may trip the protection on the liven flipper circuit. Note this resets each time a car sends a LC message.

Rick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts