Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, used to have a scalextric many moons ago and my interest has been sparked again. I have raced rc cars for many years and they are now becoming expensive so am looking at a cheaper option while still fueling my interest in model car racing. Things have changed over the years with digital and I am unsure which way to go to start with. I would like to build up a collection of cars eventually, space wise at the moment it would have to be able to break down and packed away as we are planing to emigrate to australia next year but once we get there I would like to be able to build a more permenant track. I see the scene is quite strong in australia so am looking forward to checking out a few tracks.
So how easy is to convert track and cars to digital as I have seen quite a few sets on the well known auction site but am a bit unsure what to buy? Or would I be better getting a starter set such as the Top Gear one or James Bond and building up from there?
Sorry about the long post, thanks for reading and any advise greatfully received.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I would go for gold and get the new platinum set from Scalextric. It has the new advanced powerbase that will let you race analogue or digital cars, comes with 6 digital cars and has a whole load of track. Plus it all fits in a box so it will be easier to pack away and ship if you intend to move.

Then you have the best of both worlds. I race analogue as much as I race digital. They are different and vive la difference! Big motors and whatecver make you want for analogue, run 'em straight out of the box. Tactical overtaking and finding the best line, getting past pace cars and stopping for fuel makes digital exciting in a completely different way.

Connect up to a computer and you have the best analogue race management system in the world! Designed for digital but works just as well in analogue...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply, that set looks cool if a little pricey. Was hoping to start with a small budget of about £100 and then build up from there. Is used/2nd hand worth looking at as have no probs getting a used setup?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The first decision to make is do you want to go digital
There's no disputing digital is different.
It's a matter of opinion if digital is better or worse.
Nobody can make that choice for you, it's what YOU want that's important.
If possible try out as many options as possible before committing yourself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 18 Jul 2011, 09:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Connect up to a computer and you have the best analogue race management system in the world! Designed for digital but works just as well in analogue...

Which Race Management System are you talking about here?

·
Registered
984 Posts
For digital the bad news is ypu need the 6 car powerbase C7042 and a Cable to upgrade to 1.06. I started with the 4 car powerbase second hand, I was very dissapointed. It shorted every time two cars went across the lane changes together this meant I has to wire up the LC's separately and you still have to buy a lap counter at £34!. To me Digital is why I came back. Alalouge is mainly about the engineering of the car. Digital is more about solving strategy porblems while still trying to drive the car. It is a personal thing. You can save money bu using OEM power supply's for the 6 car powerbase £8 not £24 each. With second hand track you may make a start for about £200 with everthing second had apart from the powerbase.

Like the man said digital/analouge are actually very diffrent and as usual 5 racers will give you at least 6 hard opinions. If you are feeling really dedicated you could try my track as you are only in Cannock and I am in Derby bit of a way for a small (9m) trackbut possible. or you may get a better offer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You don't have to look at just one brand.

There is always other choices - why not have a look at Carrera Digital

I am a very bias Carrera user from AUS, great track and cars plus you can convert any brand of cars to use on a Carrera track with a digital chip.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Porsche Racer @ 19 Jul 2011, 03:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which Race Management System are you talking about here?

SSD Console by Andy Wallace. It gives you everything that a normal RMS program will give like track order, fastest lap, distance behind etc plus it adds in the cool interactive features like fuel load related speed, fuel stutter, recording best lap and replaying it and a whole host more...

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 19 Jul 2011, 00:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SSD Console by Andy Wallace. It gives you everything that a normal RMS program will give like track order, fastest lap, distance behind etc plus it adds in the cool interactive features like fuel load related speed, fuel stutter, recording best lap and replaying it and a whole host more...

I wasn't aware that SSDC worked in analog mode as well.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You need the latest firmware in the C7042 powerbase, select analogue mode and run SSDC. SSDC thinks it is connected to a digital system, the fact that it is running analogue cars it is totally oblivious to.

·
Registered
495 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 18 Jul 2011, 15:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It has the new advanced powerbase that will let you race analogue or digital cars.................. Connect up to a computer and you have the best analogue race management system in the world!
You mean best for race management system for home use, or can it handle club racing requirements?
Questions like how many lanes, how many drivers, different lane sequences, how many heats etc. come to mind.

·
Registered
455 Posts
QUOTE (rich67 @ 18 Jul 2011, 17:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for reply, that set looks cool if a little pricey. Was hoping to start with a small budget of about £100 and then build up from there. Is used/2nd hand worth looking at as have no probs getting a used setup?

Hello mate , digital is what got me back into the hobby , but I found it wasn't for me . Like the others said , see if you can try and get a go on a few different systems ?
£100 will get you plenty of 2nd hand stuff and give you an idea if you want to spend more

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 19 Jul 2011, 02:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You need the latest firmware in the C7042 powerbase, select analogue mode and run SSDC. SSDC thinks it is connected to a digital system, the fact that it is running analogue cars it is totally oblivious to.

I did not know that. Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 19 Jul 2011, 02:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You need the latest firmware in the C7042 powerbase, select analogue mode and run SSDC. SSDC thinks it is connected to a digital system, the fact that it is running analogue cars it is totally oblivious to.

Ok. I tried this today but was unable to get the powerbase into analog mode with SSDC running. How do I do that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Think I am going to go analogue to start as the cars work without an upgrade then I can upgrade at a later date. Missed a set on ebay last night as I forgot about it and was then at work.
It was a classic track setup, would the classic track be ok as I have seen somewhere that you can get adaptors to fit it to more uptodate track?

Anyone got any they are looking to get rid off due to upgrade? Will collect in Midlands area.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Porsche Racer @ 20 Jul 2011, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok. I tried this today but was unable to get the powerbase into analog mode with SSDC running. How do I do that?

Install 1.04 or 1.06 firmware into the powerbase. Hold the top three arrow buttons in (up, left and right) now press the start button 5 times whilst still pressing the arrow buttons. The fan speed will change if you have successfully switched to stand alone analogue mode.

I thought this was on the website but I can't now find it.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (rich67 @ 20 Jul 2011, 08:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Think I am going to go analogue to start as the cars work without an upgrade then I can upgrade at a later date. Missed a set on ebay last night as I forgot about it and was then at work.
It was a classic track setup, would the classic track be ok as I have seen somewhere that you can get adaptors to fit it to more uptodate track?

Anyone got any they are looking to get rid off due to upgrade? Will collect in Midlands area.

I would avoid classic track like the plague now. Get a sport set, they can be cheap as well.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (Porsche Racer @ 19 Jul 2011, 23:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok. I tried this today but was unable to get the powerbase into analog mode with SSDC running. How do I do that?
To switch into analogue mode you need to have the original APB tower connected to the power base and then you have to press and hold 3 button combo (I think left+up+right) when powering on and that will switch the APB into analogue mode. You then disconnect the tower and reconnect with SSDC (make sure not to unplug any end of the USB cable while APB is ON).

I know for sure it is a 3 button combo but if left+up+right don't work try, left+down+right. If that fails too you can ping a message to AWallace or RikoRocket and they will be able to tell you exactly. I personally have never switched it into analogue mode but there was a post on the SSDC v5 thread which explains how to do it but just can't find it now.

Edit: Riko beat me to it...

·
Registered
455 Posts
QUOTE (rich67 @ 20 Jul 2011, 07:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Think I am going to go analogue to start as the cars work without an upgrade then I can upgrade at a later date. Missed a set on ebay last night as I forgot about it and was then at work.

QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 20 Jul 2011, 08:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would avoid classic track like the plague now. Get a sport set, they can be cheap as well.

Riko is right , the Sport is cheap and the way to go . You can get converter half straights to run classic together with sport track as the classic does have a range of special sections not available in other ranges . I'd be sure to get the best condition track you can as it's plentiful and it's really not worth the hassle of cleaning old track !

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (rich67 @ 20 Jul 2011, 01:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Think I am going to go analogue to start as the cars work without an upgrade then I can upgrade at a later date. Missed a set on ebay last night as I forgot about it and was then at work.

Get the sport track. Don't bother with the classic track. It's probably less expensive in the long run to buy a Digital set right off the bat rather than upgrade it later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts