SlotForum banner

ANALOGUE V DIGITAL

13K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Phil Stenning 
#1 ·
ok, started this thread to get everyones opinions on the ongoing digital v analogue debate

i ve just this evening converted my analogue track to digital and i, so far, am not a fan!
for a start it agve me connectivity teething problems, but after that was addressed i still did nt like it, the controllers don t feel anywhere near as 'sure' as even the standard analogue do and as the majority of my racing i do is solo just seems a little pointless?

as my personal opinion i m going to go back to analogue, as i think that with chipping the cars too, its a bit too much for me! i ve got hundreds of cars and i use all of them so it would prove very expensive to chip the lot!

whats everyone elses experiences with digital?

did any of you convert and have nt looked back,

is it really the future of slot racing?

is it worth sticking with it until i get used to it?

look forward to hearing your thoughts!

phil

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow this is going to be a good thread, lol.
Simply the current systems on the market arent for enthusiasts, just toys. So until someone comes along with a commercial quality system that works we will be hearing stories like yours. Sad but true.
Im an digital diehard, and basically the guys on the digital forums do in fact have some commercial quality upgrades. But most of us want plug and play.
I havent looked back since going digital. Luckily I have the patience to troubleshoot.
Essentially they are similar but with digital its all about changing lanes. Unfortuately you need extra components to achieve this. This is where the problem starts. These issues will be sorted and we are getting closer every day. And we need "best line" tracks, not the LC's the toy market offer us.
I believe it is the future once the issues are sorted. At the moment I dont expect anologue guys should have to put up with the problems that exist.
there will always be some forms of analogue.
Unless your willing to modify your digital system or pay someone to do it for you, it may be better to stay with analogue a wee bit longer until it happens. Digital will improve and it will impress. Right now its in its development period.
However connectivity problems occur on analogue as well as digital tracks.
But to sum up digital racing blows me away, and gets the imagination going. But you do need some like minded digital racers to get the full effect.

Cheers
Rick

#3 ·
I converted my Ninco home track to digital, takes a lot of getting used too. Now I can race against my two kids on the same track without any arguments. I have downloaded some software off here so that I can display the information onto a PC screen rather than the rather small LCD display. I haven't made the cable yet work keep getting in the way.

I had connection difficulties cars flying off at top speed etc all due to poor connections on the track. I agree about the controllers lack of feel, I think its because we are used to the feel of the wiper on the resistor inside the analogue controllers.

I am looking forward to the summer when my mates will come round and we can all race together on two lanes.

Wife nagged about the expense. I spent £500 in one month on N-Digital equipment. Gotta sell some as I have way too much.

Alan

#5 ·
I love my Carrera digital system. The cars can pass on the LC's at speed and with the addition of the lap counter I am having a great time getting timing and scoring info. I wish the used the sam philosophy for their pit entrances as they did for the LC but there is no such thing as perfect. I like being able to run multiple cars. Not sure how you can run 6 cars on a 50 foot layout though. But all in all I find it very exciting.

#6 ·
Well in the major markets, one of the fundementals is that you should not buy the A model. So until the users report constant praise I will remain analogue.
There is the problem. Because for development, revenue from sales are essential.
My thinking is that the prime manafacturers pool their knowledge, so that commonality is acheived.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Phil Stenning @ 20 Feb 2008, 21:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>for a start it agve me connectivity teething problems, but after that was addressed i still did nt like it, the controllers don t feel anywhere near as 'sure' as even the standard analogue do and as the majority of my racing i do is solo just seems a little pointless?
i ve got hundreds of cars and i use all of them so it would prove very expensive to chip the lot!
phil

Hey Phil,
Congratulations on your recent purchase. If you have read the threads in the SSD section, then you will know that there is some tinkering to be done, some money to be spent, and a lot of time to devote, to get the system running as smooth as an analouge track. But don't despair, because if you really want it, it can be achieved.

SSD does demand a much cleaner and securely fastned track. A track that works well in analogue mode, will not necessarily cut the mustard in digital mode. Any small flaws will be detected.
The feel of the standard throttles does take some getting used to. The Re-Pete modified Parmas are the way to go at the moment, but Slot.it will soon have their product on the market too.
Having an existing collection of hundreds of cars is probably the biggest issue for many people wanting to try SSD. The chip price is far to expensive, and a modest collection of say 100 cars is gonna set you back a grand.

I am in a similar position with the cars, so i chose to create a four lane track, devoting two lanes to analogue and 2 lanes to digital.

As for your comment about racing solo, well SSD is just what you need. You can set upto 5 pace cars to run around the track, whilst you pick your way through them. This is a great challenge. Even 2 cars set up to run on their own is great fun for a solo racer.

If you want the digital experience, straight out of the box, forget it. Sell up now.
If you enjoy tinkering with stuff, then get stuck in and reap the rewards.

#8 ·
Don't give up, the mods are so much easier than they sound. If you know one end of a soldering iron from the other than modding SSD isn't be a problem.
If I can do them, then pretty much anyone with a pulse can

Paul wrote a great note here :- Guide to SSD

which explains better than I can on what steps to take to get a great system.

Then whether you race alone or with a bunch of mates it is hours & hours of fun... analogue has no interest for me at all now.
Its like discovering DVDs after VHS. Yes Scaley has some catching up to do with the guys here at slotforum, but then again it does
in the analogue world as well.

So stick with it, do the mods and have some fun.

Mike

#9 ·
I have been running Scalextric Digital for almost two years now and have no regrets. Having even one extra competitor on a two lane track more than doubles the fun of racing, even though digital cars are a bit slower than analogue. Of course, if there are only two people likely to use the track at any time, then digital is an unnecessary luxury.
My track is unmodified apart from hard-wiring every track section to the next one, and has always run faultlessly with up to four people racing at once. I can't do more than four (even though I have a six car powerbase) because there is only standing space for four adults in the race room. Just recently I have swapped the original power supplies for modified 15 volt versions, intended for the four car base. The cars run a bit faster now.
You can see an early incarnation of my track in the "Members Tracks" section.

Peter

#10 ·
ok thanks for the comments so far, definatly encouraging, i m going to get out there tonight, sort out some connectivity problems and give it another go,

alot of my original problems with analogue connectivity were due to my track being in my garage, the track requiring cleaning everytime it was used, this was quickly solved by copper taping the track, improving things 100%! although it is not complete, so i think once i have cleaned doen and taped the effected areas i ll try digital again and see how i get on,

#12 ·
Phil,

I didn't see anyone comment here but your spot of already owning a lot of analog cars is a distinct position that would make an impact on your choice. I raced at a commercial track (analog) and never really got into it far enough to collect many cars. So, when I decided to get into a home track the only reason I made the decision to spend a lot of time and money was to try digital. I would NOT have gotten back into the hobby, building an analog track. I think with your large collection of cars I would create a dual system, where you have the digital system installed as well as analog. This way you could still run all your un-chipped cars and slowly chip or buy new digital stuff.

The lane change feature is neat but what I really found to be so cool with digital (and did NOT anticipate) was how much fun it is to follow close behind the guy in front of you. On my current track, passing is NOT completed right at the lane change section like the promo videos would have you think. If you know you are coming up on another, slower, car. You change lanes a lap or more before the actual pass occurs. There are big curves, and places where one car is faster than another, so you generally position yourself into the opposite lane and then pass where the speed and position is right.

I have thought of adding analog functionality, mostly to make it so we could buy cars, and drop them on the track and go. I hate having to spend $30 or more on a car and then another $22 on the chip, and then shoehorn it into the new car. But, when I thought of the fun we have with the digital, features, I think "I would hate to loose the ability to follow, have a single cross-over, run more cars at one time than the number of slots, loose the option to merge two or more slots into one".

Good topic and I'm sure the debate will never end.

Jim

#13 ·
i m sure the debate will never end!

i ve just tried again with the digital setup i have (one lane changer over, one corner crossover and the four car pb) and it worked alot better with the copper tape i have added, i already have one power tap for each lane, but will get some more, i m SLOWLY being converted

the idea of a dual set up is tempting, if i can fabricate a way to run the two ( i d think some sort of relay would do the trick? ) then i would be alot happier,

the only other nag i have is the amount of money and time i will have to put into chipping my cars, i m not too bothered about the cost, i can get them trade price at around £7 - 8 a throw.

otherwise a setup with a 6car pb and pb pro sounds like the way forward!

anyone else here running pb pro??

#14 ·
Phil I run PB Pro with the MS Mod on a 4 car PB, with just the 6 car pb and 2 C7004 power supplies I tried running 6 cars as dummies with random lane changes. I have a total of 4 LC's and when a car changed lane everything slowed down. When I plugged in the slave and one of the power supplies to that there was no change in speed at all and was very impressed. Along with the additional functions of PB Pro I can't see me ever going back to standard SSD. Where are you in the UK? if your close to me I'm sure I could let you try it yourself.

Pid

#16 ·
The problem I've discovered with digital is there is a fastest racing line. How are you supposed to overtake a car in front who stays on the line? Do you have to wait for them to make a mistake? I've thought the only solution is careful track design so there are alternative fast lines. Still, no fun just following in a precession (although realism achieved).
No to digital for me, I like to do battle not follow or lead in the knowledge race won off the start line.

#19 ·
Sorry Thatcedric, I missed your point. So you dont like best lines? Just like real motorsport you have to out drive them to get number one, often in the 2nd best line, thats just how it is. Personally I love it. Each to their own obviously=)

#20 ·
I'm with you I'man. Just like real racing, first in to the first bend has the advantage. It is for those behind to push to find the passing place.
Bill, you're correct as well, track planning is very important to give the opertunities to pass. The skills required for digital are different to those for anologue. It is not something you are going to master overnight. Persevere and learn the 'dark arts'

#21 ·
ok ok, this is all a bit of a headf**k!

after trawling through all the info on SSD on here i can see it can quite simply be made to work, in my personal opinion i d rather wait until scalextric make it better, as it seems that straight out of the box the digital system does nt work that well

i may, in time, attempt to mod my pb, but for the time being it seems like a bit of a waist of time!

so for the time being i m going to stay analogue, and concentrate on tuning my cars!

Phil

#22 ·
Phil, I don't think you need to choose one system over the other. Have both.

Peter (Pressbutton) is your shining example. He has a great deal of fun with his SSD layout at home, yet still travels quite a distance to come and race with us analogue-style. Have a chat with him, next time at the club.

#23 ·
Is there a way of having a dual mode track, were in analogue mode the cars ignore the lane changers and there is no clash in connection to the 2 lanes. That would be the best of both worlds. Maybe one could learn the dark art of overtaking a car on the perfect line on the limit (still don't believe a word of it)?
Secondly how do old pin guide cars run on sport track, it doesn't look grippy enough to me?
Thirdly, anyone chip an RX motor car?

#24 ·
i may try and fabricate a setup up so i can run both digital and analogue, however at the moment i m having severe problems with connectivity, just when i seem to get one lane working right the other lane startes to have problems

anyone have any experience with this?

i m considering the arduous task of hardwiring the back section of my track where these problems occur, i m already running a set up power taps but they seem to make very little difference.

also my track is in my garage, so i m guessing the low temperatures are nt going to help

my track is almost completely copper taped now, which has made a real improvement, but i m still getting the odd dead spot?

can anyone help??

phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.