SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I have a couple of these chips and thought that I should be able to fix them ................... that was until I had a close look at them. They look nothing like any of the other chip layouts so I guess that they must have several components built into the SMPs and they have to have a close degree of similarity to what has gone before.

cue the big-ask ...... has anyone ever sat down and worked out what was what with these little beauties or can anyone point me in a direction to start a voyage of discovery???

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok, on one side of the board you will see a big white rectangular thingy with four recessed pins sticking up, that's the DPR plug socket. At one end of the board, on the same side, you will notice a big silver cylinder with black writing on the top , that's a capacitor. Now turn the board over and at one end you will notice a clear plastic doozzie that's the IR emitter. That's about as far as I can go identifying the components! (the evil wife made me do it!)

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
@Richard ...... it's what? ... are you saying it's got a board in there as well?

@Andrew ...... doughn't tel me sum teanajer rote the furm where in techst spek ...............Oh Lordy, Lordy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Andy anyone should know that spindy things don't respond well to hexidecimal commands, so try binary, it's much simpler!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Greg,

Those spider looking thingies with 14 legs that Andrew talks about, as well as most of the other plastic thingies with thin wires on the sides;

All of them works with smoke: If you let the smoke out, it stops working. So put all the smoke back, then no more problems.

Sorry, to get back to your original point - I cannot help you with your voyage of discovery....

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wot are you lot like???
I seem to be pretty accomplished at letting the smoke out ......... trying to catch it all is like herding a bunch of cats, and as for putting it back in well ............. I am only a magician's apprentice so I will have to wait quietly by the quayside.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I had some spare time this afternoon so I decided to have a more detailed look at my blown F1 DPRs.

This chip looked the most promising as it looked better than the others, until I looked more closely:
View attachment 9691
Sorry about the fuzzyness but the top arrow shows one of 333Rs completely missing and the bottom arrow shows a capacitor that was discoloured.

I scavenged the bits from a really toasted chip and fixed them to this board. When I fired up the test rig the motor ran continuously until the ID was reset. Once that was done the motor did not move but occasionally gave a small whirr.

Changing the throttle to another port caused the motor to burst into life as soon as the ID button pressed and stopped as soon as the ID was set. Now the motor does not move at all ...... no burning, no smells just nothing, and rather pleasingly - no smoke!

I've identified the large black part in the centre as an CJ78L05 voltage regulator, and I suspect that the small greyish square in the top right is a double mosfet package which looked OK. The ones to the left, I suspect, are the four diodes of the apocalypse.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If there is a missing resister and discoloration (discolouration for those on the other side of the Pond) on the yellow capacitor then maybe the thingy between them, the voltage regulator over heated and melted the solder on the resistor and discolored the capacitor. If you have a spare try replacing it. Just a thought!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Remember that the original color of the capacitor is a pale burnt yellow so the cap may not have discolored. From the picture you took I would say it did not discolor...said the blind man to his deaf wife as he picked up his hammer and saw!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts