SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
You need to supply a little bit more information. Whats the chassis? Why do you want to do the conversion? Perceived performance advantage?? In my opinion sidewinder is the best configuration with respect to motor torque reactions and procession. Anglewinder set ups usually win out because of the greater motor performance not because it is the best configuration with respect to minimising unwanted motor reactions.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Hi Nate
It is straightforward to convert some chassis from anglewinder to sidewinder. It is impossible to convert others.
I agree with Rick's request, please tell us what sort of chassis you want to convert.

Two major reasons for using anglewinder rather than sidewinder are
1 Anglewinder allows a smaller diameter axle gear and therefore smaller smaller diameter rear tyres and a lower centre of gravity
2 There's a limit to the length of motor that'll fit between the rear tyres of a sidewinder, anglewinder allows a longer motor.

If a car takes advantage of either or both of the above, that can outweigh the motor torque reactions and procession issues.

As Rick says, sidewinder should be better with respect to motor torque reactions and procession. This differance is more significant in a large angle anglewinder.

·
Rich Dumas
3,664 Posts
The main reason for using the anglewinder setup has been to accommodate boxer style motors. Boxer motors have a very long armature and a lot of torque. If you run with magnets they are a good choice. If you run without magnets but have plastic track or Magnabraid an open style boxer motor can have significant downforce. If downforce is not an issue a boxer motor may not be the best choice for non-magnet racing. With some makes an angle winder chassis or motor pod can flex causing chatter. Boxer motors tend to be slow to rev up and the power often comes on with a bang.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Rich makes a good point about boxer style motors on tracks with magnet traction.
For sure magnetic attraction is often the dominant factor in cornering performance in these condition.

However, on wooden tracks with copper tape or braid, magnetic attraction is non-existent. In these conditions the strong magnetic fields of boxer style motors make no differance to cornering performance.

On another thread, I did spot this from Nate.
QUOTE (Mr_Nate @ 28 Jul 2011, 12:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do race on the taped wooden track .........

It is worth mentioning that anglewinders have been the dominant chassis design for scratch built cars racing on with copper tape or braid for some decades, these pre-date boxer style motors by a long way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.