SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been on the go for over a year.

There were two body types fitted to the Alfa 8C 'Le Mans' chassis which are well known, those with enclosed spare wheel, and those with exposed spare wheels. This car is being built as that raced at Le Mans by Pierre Louis Drefus in 1935. He finished second I believe. This car was subsequently owned by Leslie Hawthorn and passed to Mikes hands on his death.
After Mikes passing, it spent a while at Beaulieu, then went to the USA. In the early 60's (I would guess) it acquired the modified body with exposed spare wheel as featured in the original (Airfix) kit.

I had the Airfix model when it came out, but was always taken by the Scalextric version with the enclosed spare. I thus a few years ago decided to start a 1/32 scale 8C. this is it so far.

There seem to be a number of different 'fin' shapes around, I'll go with the one shown on the Mike Hawthorn website, so a few slight mods are in order with I think a few millimetres of the lower end.

Mudguards next.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Peter,

I went this route too, but unfortunately what I was doing was making a side-winder competitive Alfa for "EB", and then SW was banned !!.

It has sat there for two years or so now. Might try convert to inline, but what a waste.

vbr Chris.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Peter,

Love what you've done with the Airfix kit
Pierre Louis Drefus came indeed second with the legendary Alfa 8C with the number 12 at Le Mans. First was a Lagonda Rapide with nr 4 and third was the Aston Martin Ulster with nr 29.
Speaking of coincidence I just received the Matchbox version of the Ulster today.
What are you going to do with the chassis itself are you going to replace it with a metal one, love to see a picture of the chassis when it's ready fixed with motor.
I found also a beautiful You Tube link (press here)from a similar Alfa 8C.
Together with your home made Wheels, It's going to be a master peace.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris, I did actually consider a sidewinder but as more of a modeller than a racer decided to opt for the old fashioned inline set up.

The power, if it can be described as such, will come from a small HO sized Mabuchi, the only problem with this being the lack of weight over the rear wheels (though weight addition is no problem), the advantage being that it will permit full cockpit detail. Yes, I could achieve this detail with a front mounted motor, but then I'd have to weigh the back down even more.

(This car, like several I am building are the first to be made specifically to run on Sport track, rather than my old Airfix. no magnets if I can help it.)

The chassis will probably be channel aluminium, the front axle a steel beam, with a variation on Dannys ball bearing set up.

Wheels will be my own, tyres will be Scaley though I am investigating similar tyres with a better grip.

This is actually the first of four similar cars. Olivier, I love these Alfas too. Does that make ma an Alfaholic? Oooooh!

A second car has been started, will be similar but finished in blue, as for the Howe/Birkin car of 1932

The third will be as per Howe's 1931 car.

The last will be an experiment. Better louvres, improved grill, Digital etc. I'm sure the smaller white LEDs available these days will fit in the headlamps!

Peter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts