SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to modify a Scalex Brabham bt44 after looking at the beautiful examples showed here.
It seems that the 1/1 car had a 2413 mm wheelbase, which means 75.40 mm in our 1/32 money.
According to Tamiya designs, the car was 1992 mm wide at rear (from the external side of the left wheel to the external side of the right wheel).
That means 62.25 mm in 1/32.

I will build a narrow chassis with piano wire and use a mild motor.

Now, the wheels and tires.
I think that 20 mm (diam.) x 14.5 mm (wide) tires on 11 mm wheels at the rear will be ok.
At the front, 16 mm (diam.) x 8.5 mm (wide) tires on 11 mm wheels.
As I normally run on a "wood track", I can make the sponge tires.

But for a "plastic track" or for these events on wood tracks, where sponge tires are not allowed, which wheels and tires do I have to use to have
good results ?

Are there rubber or silicone (if allowed) tires with similar sizes ?
NSR ? Slot-it ? Ortmann ? Any other maker ?
Are there 11 mm (diam) wheels where to use such tires ?

I have no idea about what to use.

Many thanks for your help !

André Acker.

· Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, Mick !

I will try to find these wheels and tires.
It seems that the best idea is to combine Ortmann tires with Penelope Pitlane wheels.

The Scalextric McLaren M23 front tires can be bought (with the rear tires) from Pendle but I
wonder if they will fit the Penelope Pitlane front wheels.

Will the Ortmann tires be competitive on wood tracks ?

Best regards !

André Acker.

· Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info.
The "French" Scalex version of the Brabham bt44 (# C122) seems to have the correct wheelbase,
but I am still waiting for confirmation on this.
If so, I will try to get one.

The Tamiya plans are very good !

And do not forget to consult Indycals ( http://www.indycals.net/index.html ) for the decals.
I consulted them about 1/32 scale decals for the bt44, lets see.

Best regards.

André Acker.

· Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've sent mails to Pendle and RSSlotracing but no replies so far ...

RS has the Ortmann tires ; Pendle has the Scalextric original tires for the McLaren M23 and the PP wheels.

I've also contacted BWA about wheels for these Ortmann rear tires and maybe for the Scalex fronts.

Maybe the solution is to get the Slot-it rear wheels (SiPA20ALS) and tires (the above mentioned SiPT29) as I can
not find the number of the NSR products.

And use the Scalex fronts with some improvised wheels ...

André Acker.

· Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not a problem, in fact the rubber tires are intended to be used in Europe, where I am planning to take my cars in November.

Anyway, the chassis will be something like this (link below), with brass side pans to "fill' the body spaces.

http://www.abslotsport.biz/monoposto%20chassis.pdf

As I do not have the body in my hands, I do not know which guide to use, but I think that with the bt44 "big nose" this will not
be a problem.

André Acker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.