SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to all who posted pictures of their homemade MMs. I am just copying.

A dozen years ago I had a real Magnet Marshal but I gave it to a friend when I moved to Texas. He was a hot thumb in our club (thanks for the link, EM!) but he gave his routed track away and moved to Scaley digital. He introduced me to it as well and, for me, 6 cars on 2 lanes is still the most fun you can have slot racing. He's racing 1:1 in SCCA now, a move I did not follow.

My goal was obviously not beauty, but to minimize tool time and purchased materials. I had to buy the balsa, rulers, and the 1/4 x 1 plywood for the cross piece that holds the track rails. Would have used 6 inch rulers but Harbor Freight was out the day I went.

Homemade Magnet Marshal readings are always relative but I thought I'd get the most useful readings with track rails for the magnetic material. I don't know of an adhesive that will grab plastic track so the track piece is bedded in epoxy like a rifle barrel and the epoxy is then built up to grab the tabs on the metal rails on the underside of the track. Couple of tacks for good measure that are also grabbed by the epoxy.

Overview720.png

Backside 2 720.png

Closeup Muscle Milk 720.png

Under the car close up 720.png

Again, thanks to all who posted photos of their Magnet Marshals!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
In one of Robert Schleicher's books he does something similar using CD jewel cases but basically any sturdy material will work.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sturdy material is the key. I need to build another box with sides made from this 1 x 3 balsa block but the first time around I used what I could buy locally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts