SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Beautiful Ferrari or at least a "Modern Classic"

Here's one you don't see that often but they are out there and I expect we'll see more photos? My Ferrari 355 GTB road version [from Pro Slot], I think the none livery cars are rarer than others, I can't remember where I got this one and yellow one from but I just like the look of it.

F355 Classic.JPG

F355 Front S.JPG

Those lines hark back to the 1975 308GTB penned by Pininfarina, unveiled at the Paris Motor Show that year (if memory serves me well). Though the DNA of this model traces back to the Ferrari Dino (1968 to 1973). This is the end of line for that dart shape before the 360 Modena ushered in aero tunnel influence soft, curvy lines and more electronic driver aid gadget era. The 355 is the last of the mechanical grip, gear lever, perfectly balanced Ferrari's with only limited slip diff & ABS for driver aids (though newer tech was on offer like flappy paddle gearboxes, probably real-life testing for the next model where it featured more heavily).

Did you know that the drivers' seat in the 355 is closer to the centre of the car than the passenger seat! Not a lot of people know…

F355 Front.JPG

This car has been modified for club racing thus -

Olifer 3d chassis

Slot It AW mount 0.5mm off set (will change soon to 1mm off set)

Slot It rear spring suspension

Slot It Flat 6 (yellow label motor) - will change soon to Flat 6S (orange label)

Slot It 26z Ergal Gear with 11t pinion

Slot It 16" Plastic front wheels, none-grips front tyres

Slot It 16" Aluminium rear wheels, Slot It F or N compound rear tyres

Scale Auto red guide, screw top

F355 Chassis.JPG

F355 Inter.JPG

Sideways lexan interior from Lancia Monte Carlo trimmed to fit

F355 Side1.JPG

What's left to do…

Wheel insets to change to 5 star pattern Policar design from the 330 P4 model. At that point Ortmann rear tyres will probably be added for racing at Wood Green North London.

F355 Side.JPG

I'll only add the rear spoiler if I have to.

F355 RQrt.JPG

Possible addition of rear lights - probably from Fly old stock, as per my Pro Slot Ferrari 360 [black model] that takes Fly Saleen rear lights perfectly, bulbs mounted on it's PCB, they have brake effect too.

I've seen these cars take part in GT races and rally stages thus I intend to see which class(s) I can race this model in. For either class the car will need to in the 8.5 seconds times. My GT spec Moslers [NSR Shark 21.5 motors AW set-up] are normally below that time, hence my vast collection of other GT cars rarely get a chance in real racing. The more interesting class is Touring & Rally cars. So please add some photos of a F355 in a rally stage here.

I've done a lot of work to take as much weight out of the interior as I can. The rear engine grille is heavy plastic so that been replaced with duck tape, only the dash & steering wheels are left in place, something I try to do on my interior conversions. As stated in the spec the lexan interior is from Sideways Lancia Monte Carlo model. I ordered a Ferrari 512 but this one looked like a better fit to start with. It's been trimmed and hot-glued in place. Other trim sections have been used to cover the interior, as our race rules dictate.

I'll start track testing when things open up and see how much lead I can remove. It "feels" like a good start, sits nicely on the block, excellent controlled body rock, those front wheels just touch the track but do rotate when standing still.

I'll add some times, probably in May or June this year????

Then I'll start work on the yellow 355 but stick with Pro Slot SW layout, probably throw in a NSR Shark 25k motor in and let the fun begin. Interior will change to this spec.

Max

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll pinch the food scales from 'er indoors and post.

My cars are normally around 80g in total. Ferrari P4 330 is possibly the lightest car I run with a body that weighs around 13 grams, 56 grams for the chassis - just over 70 grams with the 3 screws in place.

My Moslers with lexan interiors are all 13.5 grams for the body/shell give or take a gram, again they are around the 70 grams mark.

Since I started club racing 3 years ago I have taken out ballast.

I'll compare this Ferrari 355 v standard SW set up and post, before I get work on that one.

Most versatile lexan interior - NSR Renault Clio, 2 drivers with plastic heads. They are fitted to a number of my cars but look best in Ninco Mitsubishi Evo's.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arthur64 -

The difference in the two body shells is 6g from the yellow one, which also has some plastic taken out to my red modified lexan interior. So it's probably around 10g in total from an original shell.

Total weight of both cars (with lead ballast in currently is)

Yellow SW original chassis 90g

Red AW Olifer chassis 90g

Equal total weight? That surprised me as the red car "feels" lighter. At least in the red car the weight is lower in the chassis - where i'd like to be.

Lead ballast is from when I first set these cars up for the club track at Wood Green North London, about 3 years ago. More laps are needed as I reckon on the AW set up i could loose 5g to 10g grams! My SW set up always need most lead but even then I reckon I take 5g out. When things open up I'll test and fine tune.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I managed to paint the Policar inserts for the red 355... I still need to sort out rear tyres and perhaps check for better fit front one. Rears are currently my new favourite for home use Sideways Pro-Speed Soft PS1S-Evo rubber, on Scalextric Sport track.

IMG_7465.jpg

If anybody needs these please message me - you get 2 different designs in a set in white, so they will need painting. Good quality and they fit 15" wheels. You also get a set of spare mirrors.

IMG_7464.jpg

I used the other set on my Fly Porsche with the large knock-off ears. I may at some point change those to"proper" fuchs design but for now this will do. This car is a second Olifer chassis Porsche 911 but I'm testing this one with SW layout using my go to motor NSR Shark 25k.

IMG_7467.jpg

Attachments

·
Autoavia
972 Posts
I used one of these in our modified GT class a few years ago. It was a budget build so I kept the Proslot chassis but ran a 25000 Slotit motor with Slotit wheels tyres and axles. It was fast but the short wheelbase made it very twitchy and a real handful to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts