SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My name is Gary, I just turned 61 and I live in Detroit. You know, The Arsenal of Democracy. ;)

A little background: I've been building static models for more than 50 years, mainly WWII aircraft, mostly fighters in 1/32 and 1/24 scale, and I'm good enough at it to have had pieces displayed in a museum. Well, at least until the museum burned down, but that's another story. About ten years ago I got rather heavily into RC Tanks and I have a youtube channel about RC Tanks and the soft skinned support vehicles that go with them. I also have two 3D printers, one FDM and one SLA, so I've even printed out entire trucks and made them RC. My favorite tank is my 1/6 scale Hetzer, and the main gun on that tank shoots .50 caliber paintballs. For those that don't know, 1/6 scale is the same as the old 12 inch GI Joe action figures, so the tank is pretty good size. Probably weighs in well over 100 lbs and runs on a 24 volt system. I do both 1/6 and 1/16 scale, and most of the 3D printed stuff is in the smaller scale. I'm up to about 25 tanks and just as many trucks and jeeps in that scale.

I recently pick up a Carrera Spirit of Speed Digital set, that came with three cars. I can't believe how these things have advanced since I had slots as a kid in the 70s. So I added a bunch of goodies so I now have two pit lanes, about 60 feet of track, a Camaro pace car and a driver's display (just one for now, more as budget allows) and running on limited fuel is very cool, IMHO. I also picked up a couple more cars, one of them being a BMW Williams F1 car that is too old to run on my track, so that was one of the first learning experiences - just because ebay says it's digital that doesn't necessarily mean it will work on my layout.

I'm looking forward to learning from the people here, and I've done some lurking and read some threads so I know there are some very talented and knowledgeable people here. One of my goals is to be able to stage a race with at least 4 to 6 F1 cars, as soon as I get cars that work on my track. I'll also be asking questions about how to convert other brands of F1 slot cars, like Scalextrics and Slotit, just to name two, to run on my track. I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone else that runs F1 or Indy cars. I just ordered two hairpin turns and have it set in my mind how things will look when finished. Right now I'm just on a very large basement floor, but as budget allows I'll start building tables for a permanent layout. I have enough space to easily hold five 4x8 tables in an L shape (that would be 32 feet long and 12 feet along the bottom of the L and four feet wide), maybe even more, so it's gonna take some lumber, and I'm sure you guys know how that's gone through the roof on price lately. The sheet of plywood I used to get for $15 to $20 is now about 40 bucks. Ouch.

And just so you know, when people ask me, "How are ya?" I usually respond with, "Old, fat, ugly, tired and broke". I think that pretty much covers it. :p

Again, I'm really looking forward to getting to know the people here and hopefully I might even be able to make some valuable contributions. I hope so, anyway! :unsure::giggle:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gary. Good to see you arrive from RCU. Slot cars can be just as addictive as those RC tanks we love so much. Make sure you leave a corner of your track for a few 1/32 tanks and some WWII scenery.
When you get your tables built, and the dimensions, then you can start inquiring about track design/layouts. I learned very quickly, its not about how much track, but how it flows. Digital is very fun!

Enjoy,
Shad

·
Administrator
10,331 Posts
Quite an impressive background Gary, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you're well on your way to building an impressive layout.

I started slot racing in the 60s and I've stayed analog. Was exposed to digital pretty early, since I'm in France and two guys invented the Davic system here over 20 years ago, but it never really grabbed me, and now I'm totally vintage - kind of how you describe yourself!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
61? You are a mere youth amongst a whole load of old men! Welcome! (y) :)

·
Tore
1,861 Posts
Hi, I see you already encountered the compatibility issues between digital brands. In short each digital system require their own brand chips, and Carrera chips are rather big in size, but there are 3'rd party suppliers who makes smaller chips for the Carrera Digital system.

You might also consider to convert the track for "dual-use" to switch between digital and analog cars. Digital is great for racing with friends and family, but when using the track alone I prefer analog.

Regarding track size, consider what the track will be used for. If you mainly use it on your own a too big track can become a chore to "marshall". Good for the step-tracker though 😉

With your background I think you might enjoy reading the 30 page thread on Sig's Mexican airfield track 🙂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Shad, I didn't know you were into slot cars but that's very cool. Almost like a kid walking into a brand new school and seeing someone he knows. Good for the comfort level. Not sure how long it will take to get tables built, the price of lumber has gone nuts so it's mainly a budget issue, but for now I'm fine on the floor and it gives me room to experiment. I may try to get things down on the floor and then build tables to match. We'll see, eh? By chance I just happen to already have a 1/32 Tiger One, so I'm off and runnin' already. It's battery operated and only goes in a straight line, but I wonder if I could put a guide on it and run it on the track. Bwahaha

I've already learned it's just as addictive as RC Tanks, I'm already getting to be good friends with the people at Carreraslots. I've expanded a bit already, added a pace car and two pit lanes and some extra cars, I just ordered more stuff, and I just received my first building kit, the garage. Bachman makes this cool hot dog stand with a rotating sign I'm looking at, I'm hoping I might find a review around here somewhere. Eventually I'll get to posting photos and videos. I'm still not sure if you need a certain number of posts, like at RCU. I have the chip for F1 cars on the way, and a used BMW/Williams that I picked up for next to nothing on evilbay, just to experiment with. F1 cars are the goal, hopefully, eventually, at least two Ferraris and maybe two Red Bulls. I always liked their color scheme, and I've been a fan of Vettel right from the start. Of course, I'm a first-generation German/American, and I've been rooting for the German drivers all the way back to Nicky Lauda. :rolleyes:;)

I'll check out the airfield thread, it sounds interesting already, and maybe I can incorporate some kind of warbird display at the race track. Kinda like an added attraction on raceday. We'll set up right over there behind the hot dog stand. :whistle:

Thanks for the welcome, guys, I'm looking forward to getting to know all the guys here. I already even have my first stupid newbie question, I took the Aston Martin apart (Carrera Digital 132 that came with the set) and oiled the axles and motor (light sewing machine oil), but when I put it back down as a ghost car it ran about 5 laps, then it just slowed down and stopped. I also oiled three other cars in the same way and they're just fine, and I can actually tell they're freshly oiled. Hopefully this is common with an easy fix, otherwise I might have to start my second thread. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts