SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, being a northern lad and a slot car enthusiast it saddens me to see the adverts for the swapmeets in my NSCC journal are all down south. I opened the latest issue and there's the Standsted Swapmeet, Orpington Swap Meet and the Essex Swapmeet, which are all a good 3 hour drive for me to get to. Unfortunately I missed the Ossett Swapmeet this year and so the only event I have so far managed to get to was the Slot Car Festival in May. So as you can imagine this weekend when I was reading through my NSCC journal I was sadden to see no more events up north, but then my wife suggested I organise my own swapmeet!!!!!!!!!

This filled me with dread at first but the idea has kept me up all-night thinking of one. So here is my request if there was a swapmeet in Doncaster would anyone come? Would anyone like to help me with it and would anyone come and sell their wares?

Please PM me or reply to this post, any idea and suggestion is kindly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alan

PS - For those in the NSCC I am the same guy whose email is published in the journal by the chairman in his column, and yes I am enthusiastic about our hobby and doing something for our community.

·
Registered
612 Posts
QUOTE (Alan Bean @ 13 Aug 2012, 07:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So here is my request if there was a swapmeet in Doncaster would anyone come? Would anyone like to help me with it and would anyone come and sell their wares?

I'd certainly come if the day was OK, i.e. no racing planned, I'd like one a bit closer myself

I may even be able to help you with it, depends really on what needs doing

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
I am sure the normal traders would attend.
How you would fit it into the calendar for this year I am not sure as every month till the end of the year already has a swapmeet.
Please check the calendar carefully if and when you do choose a date, even for swapmeets overseas.
My Orpington meeting is always the 3rd Sunday in April and November so that's easy, I would think maybe March next year would be the next available slot (sic) I have some dates for 2013 already posted on my Diary page.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Alan... Sounds like a good Idea, providing you could find a suitable date for next year, I for one would attend (dates permitting)

I live near to Manchester, so Doncaster sounds like a good place to start looking for a suitable venue.
Also have a look around and see what venues are available between Doncaster and Manchester areas (Leeds, Huddersfield,etc )plus anywhere inbetween, as there are good motorway links all around the area.

Good luck, I hope you can arrange something..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Why not discuss with the NSCC? - I'm sure they would welcome volenters to run another Northern swapmeet if there was demand - that way the burden can be shared.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, amazed by the positive reaction I'm getting already. Thanks everyone looks like i'd better get arranging one lol

JEXY1 thanks for the suggestion and I was going to email them and ask for any help and pointers and see if they'd like a stand there.

SCALESLOTCARS I was thinking this year was too fine and i'm looking at next year with March, June and August being possible dates. Didn't want to be too close to Milton Keynes, Slot Car Festival, Ossett, your Kent Swapmeets or any others. Hope you can make it if i can make it happen!

Does anyone know if i need a license from the council or special permission to run the swapmeet. Looking at hiring a local comunity hall and seeing if the local papers and local modelshops will help advertise it closer to the time.

And thanks again, I always find the support on this forum great.

Alan

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
You won't need a license as such but some councils have certain regulations covering these events, Kent for example requires all table holders to be registered with them, luckily although Orpington is in Kent it is under the London Borough of Bromley Council, phew!
You will need insurance but this is not to expensive, I use ManorInsurance ([email protected]) which cost £75/event.
Get some fliers done, again not expensive around £30/1000, and send these out to all the traders who are attending so they can put them in their mail order parcels etc.
Remember if people do not know it's happening they will not be able to attend, so advertise it as much as possible and even if the event is quite a long way off get the date sorted and advertised people can then arrange things around your event and not book holidays etc on the date.

I've been running Orpington successfully for nearly ten years so if there is anything you need to know just ask

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Worth asking your chosen venue if their public liability insurance already covers your event. Some do, some don't.

Worth asking if they have any requirements on electrical equipment. Some require PAT testing on every extension lead etc. many don't.

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
Yes forgot about the electrical equipment, we have a 'George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Grilling Machine' that we used to use for the bacon but were stopped from using it because it didn't have a certificate.
In spite of the fact that over 100 million have been sold worldwide and I don't think anyone has ever been killed, yet alone slightly injured, by one! Well I guess someone may dropped one on their foot

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Love this idea.

I'm from Doncaster originally, and due to the loss of a family member earlier in the year we now also have a holiday home there.

Here's a couple of suggestions to throw into the hat:

1. Elvingtom Museum (near York) has a conference room that might work, and is an interesting day out for when the swapping tails off.
2. There are regular toy fairs at the Yorkshire Show Ground in Harrogate. These are very poorly attended by slot car vendors. Perhaps piggybacking a swap meet in with the toy fair might work.
3. The Dome should have room for something like this.
4. There are dozens of community centres in every town, and they tend to be quite reasonably priced.
5. Scout huts up and down the country tend to be empty at weekends. Ours is, and we put it to great use recently...

DSCF2421 by stoooo, on Flickr

I'd love to go along to a slot car swap meet, but have never seen one near enough to me. The suggestions above are made with no experience of how big or small these events tend to be, so please treat them accordingly.

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE 2. There are regular toy fairs at the Yorkshire Show Ground in Harrogate. These are very poorly attended by slot car vendors. Perhaps piggybacking a swap meet in with the toy fair might work

That is an excellant idea. Sell it to the event organisor in a way that this will enhance his event, attract more traders & buyers, plus add on the possibility of having a track for members of the public to play on and it would be a win win situation.
Organising events of any size can be a time consuming and expensive task, using an established event to piggy back on to would save 100s hours of research and phone calls, if an agreement can be struck, would leave you lots of time to go around and advertise the event and speak to traders to get their interest / backing.
SC

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
QUOTE (scaleslotcars @ 13 Aug 2012, 13:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes forgot about the electrical equipment, we have a 'George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Grilling Machine' that we used to use for the bacon but were stopped from using it because it didn't have a certificate. .....
Hot food can get officialdom in quite a lather - food hygiene regulations, fire risk, quite apart from electrical hazards and dropping it on your foot. More trouble than its worth at some places.
It's a lot easier to not provide hot food, or have a room in a place that already does hot food, or direct punters to the nearest take away.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
As Phil Smith said, remember to check the swapmeets on the continent. There is a long standing one at Vic, in Spain during March.
Many of the UK dealers go to that, but I'm sure Phil will have the date.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A swapmeet in Liverpool would be ideal for me-obviously. How about somewhere in or near Manchester?
TED....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts