SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Swissracer's 'how to' on converting a Scalextric F1 2002 Mclaren to a 2002 F1 Ferrari, I was inspired to have a go myself. I ordered the decals from ICEMAN from the SCI forum and discovered he had a set of F1 BAR decals as well.

Being a bit of a fan of the 'also rans' I thought why not have a go at converting a current Scaley F1 car into a BAR. Finding a suitable donor car was fairly easy, courtesy of Ebay and a knock down priced Williams F1 (C2265) 'Compaq' I was away. The ferrari unfortunately was resigned to the 'future projects' bin thanks to Carrera, but never mind.

After ordering some accessories from Pendle and GetSlotted (the F1 Mclaren accessories kit camera, wing mirrors etc. and an Overdrive F1 light kit), and some coats of paint it was beginning to look pretty good if I do say so myself. One problem I was having was with the barge boards, reshaping them turned into a real drama, and for the mo I decided to leave them off.

The finishing touch for me has to be ICEMAN's decals, they are fantastic (a bit fragile) but in my experience better than Topslot decals that are supplied with their kits.

A couple of coats of gloss varnish, and heh presto one Scalextric F1 BAR! - and for the purists I know its not exact, but for clean, good value fun its not bad!

The next project could be a Prost Peugeot, now where is ICEMAN's email address?

Gecko

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Hey, NICE WORK!

How about some comments on fitting the F1 light from Overdrive? tricky huh?

What happened to the barge boards then? mis cut?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments Swiss.

The Overdrive kit was a bit fiddley, the bulb is fitted into the base of the rear spoiler, with the two small drill holes for each of the contacts.

I then bent the contacts around the gears and casing at the rear of the chassis and cut two small indents into the chassis to allow the wires to be soldered to the contacts.

The last thing was to paint out a little bit of the bulb, so it didn't look too odd.

Overall the Overdrive kit was quite straight forward, but there is a real lack of space of the earlier Scaley 1999/2000 F1 cars - probably would be alot easier on the more current F1 models.

As for the barge borders ******, damn things cracked when I tried to reshape them using a sharp modelling knife and small file - will order a new set from Pendle soon and finish the project off properly.

Oh, by the way love the Skyline conversion you posted on the forum - already ordered both the Skyline and RX7 ARii kits from ebay, gonna contact ICEMAN about some decals soon and source a Ninco M3 chassis.

Any advice would be handy.

Thanks

Gecko

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.