SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the latest result from my bodging bench. Take two ropey Scalextric Lotus 72s, a can of Dulux's finest, and a decal set from Kevin oz, et voila. The most quintessentially British racing effort ever.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Yes, I know the airbox is probably incorrect. However, I had the part and am unlikely to own another 72 so I thought I might as well stick it on to distract attention from the slightly dodgy handpainting on Mr Hill's bonce potty.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
To be fair Pat, I like your 72. It has bags of character and is different to the standard liveried cars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I like about it. At a time when most F1 sponsorship was, basically, attempting to sell things on the premise they would make the buyer irresistible to women (smokes, booze, totty lotion), here was a racing team sponsored by a company whose main products were stock cubes and tea. There's just something so wonderfully, incongruous down to earth about it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Looks good to me - encourages me to start on my Scalextric Lotus72 wreck!
Did you keep the mechanical parts standard Scalextric?
Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks good to me - encourages me to start on my Scalextric Lotus72 wreck!
Did you keep the mechanical parts standard Scalextric?
Mike
So far, yes. Johnson motor, plastic gears and bearings and wheels and all. The wheels are a set out of the spares stash, to replace the gold JPS ones from the donor cars. Tyres are new slicks from Sandbach Slot Cars, which seem very satisfactory quality.

However, I'm finding the aviating front wheels more annoying than I thought I would, so I might have to look at trimming the guide mount down a bit and possibly tubing the front axle. I'm also being bugged by a persistent click in the drivetrain when turning it over by hand, which suggests that there's a problem with the contrate. Examination under moderate magnification doesn't show anything obvious, though, and the car is smooth and fairly quiet on the track, so I might force myself to live with it and see if running eases it off a bit. I do have a couple of new, spare contrates but they're earmarked for the Fibreslots hotrod kits I have underway. Another rummage in the box of bits for a better used item may turn something up.

Good luck with your 72. As I'm finding, there is much modestly priced fun to be had in tinkering with Scalextric bin fodder. It was surprisingly satisfying to watch and feel this one circulate quite smoothly and controllably on my small test oval, after possibly decades of dormancy. I actually had a Scaley Lotus 72 that came with my first (secondhand) set at Xmas 1979, so there's a certain nostalgia value, even though I'm not that into F1s in general. To the extent that I may have to keep an eye out for the contemporary Tyrell to keep it company, as was the case all those years ago.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
A nice restoration upgrade, Pat, and a huge improvement over the original. Hope you do a few more of these old Scalextric F1 cars as they're a joy to race when fitted with rear 'urethanes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's what I like about it. At a time when most F1 sponsorship was, basically, attempting to sell things on the premise they would make the buyer irresistible to women (smokes, booze, totty lotion), here was a racing team sponsored by a company whose main products were stock cubes and tea. There's just something so wonderfully, incongruous down to earth about it.
Whoever thought advertising tea bags and F1 wouldn't mix probably never imagined (or remembers) this:

Jean Pierre gets the car, the tea and the girl!!

1987 PG Tips Chimps Grand Prix Jean Pierre Advert

(She's not my type as she's a bit too hairy!!)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
However, I'm finding the aviating front wheels more annoying than I thought I would, so I might have to look at trimming the guide mount down a bit and possibly tubing the front axle. I'm also being bugged by a persistent click in the drivetrain when turning it over by hand, which suggests that there's a problem with the contrate. Examination under moderate magnification doesn't show anything obvious, though, and the car is smooth and fairly quiet on the track, so I might force myself to live with it and see if running eases it off a bit. I do have a couple of new, spare contrates but they're earmarked for the Fibreslots hotrod kits I have underway. Another rummage in the box of bits for a better used item may turn something up.

Good luck with your 72. As I'm finding, there is much modestly priced fun to be had in tinkering with Scalextric bin fodder. It was surprisingly satisfying to watch and feel this one circulate quite smoothly and controllably on my small test oval.
Apologies if this is too obvious and you’ve already checked, but that click in the drivetrain on Scalextric cars is often a hairline crack in the nylon pinion gear.
Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies if this is too obvious and you’ve already checked, but that click in the drivetrain on Scalextric cars is often a hairline crack in the nylon pinion gear.
Mike
I have a few cars where that was/is the case, but this one corresponds to the axle rotation rather than the motor, and the pinion remains firmly in place, so I'm assuming a duff tooth on the contrate, even though I can't see it. I might change the pinion anyway, though, as I have a bag of spares and it's easy enough to do.

A nice restoration upgrade, Pat, and a huge improvement over the original. Hope you do a few more of these old Scalextric F1 cars as they're a joy to race when fitted with rear 'urethanes.
Thanks. For someone not very interested in F1s, I do seem to have accumulated a lot. Mostly the cheaper open shell variety, presumably because they came in the more common lower end sets so there are more of them. I have got a probably restorable Lotus 77 that may yet see the light of day, and, as mentioned earlier, I'm keeping an eye open for a cheap Tyrell 007 for nostalgia's sake.

I must say the 72 does seem to handle very nicely, and to respond well even to to the iffy set controller I'm currently stuck with (Truspeed BP II on the way), with only limited tendency to deslot when overcooked.

The Sandbach rubber slicks will do me for now, but I do have plans to mould my own urethanes in future. I've already had one go at making moulds. Not terribly successful due to using silicone well beyond its shelf life, but encouraging as a proof of concept. Just need some fresh silicone and a pack of suitable castable urethane. I know where to get it but need to accumulate the cash, having sprung for the Truspeed a few days ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Love to give a new life to those cars.
For me are the actual classics, when you race whith , for example this Lotus, it´s like 1:1 historic F1, but a lot cheaper!!!

Great job!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another couple of regulars around the Mess. The Ferrari is unfathomably fast. Comes and goes like stink. View attachment 281937 View attachment 281938
Odd how there's sometimes an outlier. I've got a Shadow that absolutely screams round the test oval. In particular, it corners significantly quicker than anything else I've run, but I really can't see why. It's all standard, and the tyres are the same as on everything else.

I've also got one of those Ferraris, a late Dessera variant. It might be fast, but I can't tell, as the Carrera set controllers I'm using act as an on-off switch in conjunction with its Mabuchi, so I've currently no hope of keeping it in the slot for long enough to time it in any meaningful way.

It's all good fun though.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Pat

You're right. Just occasionally there's an old Scalextric something-or-other that outshines almost everything else. Somewhere, I've got a UOP Shadow. Its performance is unbelievable.

I've no idea why but it really is a Goliath-slayer and, like so many of its ilk, I paid almost nothing for it.

By contrast, a Tyrrell I have - same spec - is a Coca-Cola topping up a single malt. Nuff said.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love the simplicity of my Scalextric (C120) Martini Brabham BT44B which must have been one of the cheapest to purchase, needed nothing but cleaning and servicing yet is one of the smoothest, well balanced runners in my garage, followed closely by (C123) UOP Shadows (3 off), BRM P160 green body, (C127) Marlboro McLaren M23, (C136) Ferrari 312 T3.

Could the outstanding if not surprising performance be down to the Jonson motors common to all (mine anyways) maybe?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I’m doubtful if the old Johnson motors are the source of the performance. Most of mine run hot and slow compared with the later 130 S-can versions. My fastest standard car is a white BRM P160 which I’ve hardly touched apart from cleaning and decals, while my Ferrari 312T is hopeless despite extensive fettling. Why? Who knows!
Mike

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I've always thought these older and more basic F1 cars from Scalextric are brilliant with loads of charm. I haven't bought a new F1 slot car for many years as they don't really interest me but I always like the older ones.

The Johnson motors are OK though not particularly fast compared to modern motors. These cars just need decent rear tyres for some quick laps.
The cars are cheap to buy and fairly common so it's not too difficult and expensive to end up with more then you realise. I think there is an older thread on the Forum dedicated to them.

My personal favourite is the Shadow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts