Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
With the excitement of building cars for the F-1 Proxy receding into the mists of the past, I decided to tackle another proxy event - this one known as the Race Across America - 13 races at various club and home tracks across the US and Canada. Most of the coverage is on the SCI forum for those of you who frequent this and that system. The rules were intriguing to me: Hard body Le Mans prototypes, one magnet, only plastic chassis and these have to be "one piece between the axles", but may have a motor pod. Having cleared with the organizers that PCB material would qualify as "plastic", this is what I have come up with so far:

This all fits under a Slot.it Audi R8C body:

More photo's as I finish it - which has to be tomorrow if I want to make the first race!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Whoa! That's awesome.

You've got to really appreciate the design and technology in that chassis.

I don't know if anything like that motor mount has been done before, but I like it.

Top work Dennis!

Andy

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That is a rather cunning chassis.

Are you gluing the axle carriers in or risking soldering the thin copper layer together? If the motor pod rocks too much the chassis might "tramp"a bit. If it does it might be controlled more by having two mounts at the front of the pod and one at the back, or visa versa. Sought of triangulation.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Very nice engineering and execution, Dennis! That must be the most advanced PCB chassis I've ever seen!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dennis

That is some outstanding workmanship..... Never seen any Board chasiss so well desinged and made.... And yes how are you holding the parts on solder or if using glue of some type what kind??

great job

Chris

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I wonder how you did the cutting that nice ?
Did you use a CNC-mill or what ?

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Superb, what an excellent chassis. I love this material for construction, so much easier to use than brass.

Wonderful work.

Regards

Alan

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
It looks great, Dennis! Excellent design and superb workmanship!

You will also need to build a "wee one" for the Small Car Proxy event!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Thanks for all the flattering comments, and the interest you all show - that to me is the best part of this Forum and our hobby!

To answer some of the questions:

I use a band saw to rough out the basic shapes, then it's Dremel time, with a ceramic cutting disc, sanding drums, etc, and finishing up with some scroll saw work and lots of hand filing. Sorry Kai, no CNC mill (although I would love to have access to one!). I did try to mill a few pieces using an end mill in my drill press, but those parts are now in the trash can!

The pieces are both soldered and glued, with either Cyanoacrylate (super glue) or epoxy or both. The high stress areas like the guide tongue are held in with 2-56 screws and nuts, and the little slots I cut to key the pieces together help a lot to strengthen it.

The motor pod is dampened by two small O-rings squeezed by the scews that mount the pod to the chassis, and this controls the flex. The tighter the screws the less flex. One other advantage to the O-rings is that they make the car unbelievably quiet - like a Whisperjet almost. I did not get any "tramp" or bounce during testing tonight, so it looks like that idea worked.

I haven't had much time to do a lot of work on the body - it's basically just a Slot.it Audi Presentation car (I had a spare body after using the chassis for an R8R), with some home-made decals to record the Race Across America. A map of the States and Canada on the back has my home state (CA) ion blue, the Start and Finish state (New Hampshire) in checks (too small to see properly) and then all the other states where races will be run in yellow. Then some decals for the prize sponsors and numbers of sorts and it's done:

One action shot from the test session tonight (nearly abandoned due to rain water flowing through my garage from a flodded garden!):

Enjoy!

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Russell and McLaren,

Tempting as the small car Proxy is, I can't seem to find anything suitable for a body on this side of the "Pond" - there's a massive shortage of 1/32 scale kits here at the best of times!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
So if PCB is allowed does that mean the chassis from Milan Tomasek is also allowed?
Now that would rock!

I might be tempted to enter again if I had ever seen my car from last years event again. Anyone know what happened to them all after the last race?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow! Now that is a chassis. Is this stuff available through mail order? I've tried my local radio shack and they don't have anything that remotely resembles this.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Beautifull work,but,to me,doesn't seem to qualify under the"Chassis must be one piece between the axles" rule.Unless I am reading it wrong.That to me is clearly a 2 piece chassis.What am I missing.

As usual,"Confused in Canada Eh!"

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jay,

I found a small piece of double sided PCB material at my local Radio Shack, but the better stuff came from Fry's Electronics - it's single sided and made from better material than the Radio shack stuff was.

Al, the rules said that the chassis had to be one poiece between the wheels but a separate motor pod was allowed like some Fly/Ninco/Slot.it cars have. I interpreted the "one piece" part to mean no moving side pans or other hinged pieces, and so I thought the motor pod would give me a chance to make something that moved a little. I've posted photos for the Organizer and so far it seems it's legal.

Blame Russell - he taught me how to stretch the rules to the limit

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comment!

I guess I could have used nylon screws. I didn't think about that at the time I was building the car, but I wonder about the strength, especially for high stress areas like the guide plate. This car has to survive 13 races over the rest of this year, so I think the small amount of weight I might have saved is going to be insignificant compared to the strength gain of the stainless steel that I used.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts