SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so each year we decide what are the race categories we will run. For example, we have NASCAR, Rally, Sports, GT etc etc. We then produce a list of acceptable cars and their manufacturers as well as the accepted motors that are permitted for the category. I say 'we', in truth someone else has always done it and I would like to propose a new one and classification for consideration.

Now, Scalextric Historic are coming, and I think it might be good if in our club, we had a category of those cars to race. For those not suree what I mean (myself included - and this is the problem!) I mean those skinny wheeled, cigar-tube type cars with front engines (I think I got that right).

However, I'm kinda retarded when it comes to cars, and need help in 'categorising' these cars in view to set up a category and surrounding rules so I can sugest this new class in the next AGM....

Can anyone help 'define' these cars and tell me if other companies make them as well (Like Fly, Ninco, SCX etc)

A pic of the car in case I'm not making any sense:

Help appreciated!

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Simple 1951 - 1959 inclusive, Grand Prix cars. with scale tyres & wheels. Anyone that tries to put a large amount of power through those narrow tyres is on a hiding to nothing anyway.
Alfetta

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think the only company thay makes something similar that could be raced against, is Cartrix with their new Mercedes (I apologise now, most of these type of older F1 cars look alike to me!).

Apart from Cartrix there are loads of scratch-builds out there.

Good luck with the class,

Cheers

Mark

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
i have been asked many times how to get these models to handle better than than there club mates car of the same type, but because of the tyres if kept scale there is little you can do, too large a motor and you have wheel spin, weight added holds them down but affects the braking, the hight of these cars also restricts there corner speeds , its a trade off , but what it dose do is create close racing, most people who have tryed this era of car find that going for the largest wheelbase and track gives a slight edge, so the answer for rules i would suggest , keep the wheels /tyres,wheelbase and track scale, limit cars to no later then 1963/4 just befor tyres started to get wider, you can not hope to get the same "stickability" as modern stuff, its good close fun racing, i dont think you need reams of rules IMHO mac p

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Couldn't agree more Mac. Less is greater. Greater fun greater involvement.
I have come back to 50's & 60's racing. I am so glad you are making so many cars of that era.

Alfetta

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (mac p @ 14 Sep 2004, 18:33)
i have been asked many times how to get these models to handle better than than there club mates car of the same type, but because of the tyres if kept scale there is little you can do, too large a motor and you have wheel spin, weight added holds them down but affects the braking, the hight of these cars also restricts there corner speeds , its a trade off , but what it dose do is create close racing, most people who have tryed this era of car find that going for the largest wheelbase and track gives a slight edge, so the answer for rules i would suggest , keep the wheels /tyres,wheelbase and track scale, limit cars to no later then 1963/4 just befor tyres started to get wider, you can not hope to get the same "stickability" as modern stuff, its good close fun racing, i dont think you need reams of rules IMHO mac p
Mac... Fine answer! thanks very much.

Now, would you allow a magnet?

This may end up going no-where, Scalex is only making 6k of these world wide (or some small figure) which may make them hard to get hold of, the scratch build option isn't really, and may put some (a lot) of people off, dunno how many Cartrix are making (Thaks for the info Gecko).

All this difficulty in geting the cars may make it a non-starter

But thanks!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think those cars will sell so well, that other companys will follow Scalextric and Cartrix!

At least i hope so

Morten

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have both of the Scaley cars on my X-mas present lit. - What isthe Cartix Merc one? Could you point me at something to look at please?

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
magnets have been fitted to this type of car but i think you then negate the essence of the car and period of racing, you are back to square one with super quick cars and just another class of racing, without magnets you have to work for your super. i have a pre-war merc w125 with an NC2 and magnet in it, that will hold its own against modern f1 cars, that cant be right!!! keep the magnets out, fit Ortmann tyres, wieght low, thats the recipe for fun racing mac p

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
QUOTE keep the magnets out, fit Ortmann tyres, wieght low, thats the recipe for fun racing

I'll drink to that

John

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
I agree completely - limit the tires to "scale" and disallow magnets and no other rules are needed. I am so enamored of the cars of this era that I sold my Scaly track and am nearly done routing a new track with a downhill 270 degree sweeper that starts with a 72" radius just so I could watch my lwb F-1s drifting through the corner! (Nico Jags are fun to run like this and the Pink Kar Bugatti is a real treat as well)

There may be some room for tuning. I have a chassis on the drawing board using a combination of a lot of weight with a high revving (~40,000 RPM) motor with short gearing - perhaps about 5:1 - to restore the brakes - time will tell.

EM

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Possibly just possibly it may be a good idea to require the motor to be placed roughly where the 1:1 cars engine was placed? What are your views?
I can of course think of one possible niggle and that would be from the owners of the Scalex Maser & Vanwall.

Alfetta

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pink Kar make Auto Unions and Bugattis. This make is not so well known as many, but does have a strong following for these particular two models. Examples of the various liveries as follows:-

Other models in their range include Austin Healeys, Beetles, Ferraris and 2CVs.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
The Scalextric Historics are being released as non sport versions as well as the LE 6000 Sport versions so you should be OK to get them when they are released.

Ref no. C2551A - Maserati Goodwood Special Edition Sport
Ref no. C2551 - Maserati

Ref no. C2552A - Vanwall Goodwood Special Edition Sport
Ref no. C2552 - Vanwall

Gareth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts