Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
redstar
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,heres another rare slot car set made in the former USSR in 1986. The company is Irkutsk Mechanical Factory,the set is Racing Car Sport.The transformer is 220 volts.The cars are around 1/43rd scale with enormous plastic belt driven motors. The cars may be VAZ 2108s or some type of fantasy cars. The set also comes with accessories as shown in the photo. The picture on the box shows western cars including a Stingray. This set like the other Soviet made sets in my museum are rarely seen. I now have around 64 slot cars from the former Eastern Block countries. Well enjoy the photos,Bernard Sampson

·
Administrator
9,645 Posts
Hmm, exactly what I was thinking - a Soviet Pacer!

Nice Bernard; are those motor cases made of bakelite?

Don

·
redstar
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They come from an old man who lives in a cave. A member of the Chinese delegation pointed him out to me .he used to be the top collecter in the world,then 1 day he left his wife and the world made his home in a damp cave down the street from me.He said he wanted the biggest collection ever,but in time came to realize there would always be more cars turning up that he had never heard of.He also knew there were others who wanted to build a bigger collection than him.He finally grew weary of the futility of his goals.then despair set in and he took all of his slot cars ,packed them in their boxes and moved into a cave in the side of a hill down the street from me.I meet him around 1996 & because i admired his collection he begain to give me a car every once in a while.He has many left from the earlyist days & from all over the world.My collection continues to grow but despair is beginning to slowly erode my hope of having the best collection in the world.Others have more money to spend,others want the best collection as well.Im finding cars i never knew existed.My goals constantly have to be reset again & again.Is there no end ? I noticed the other night ,way after midnight that i had taken a couple of cars off the shelf & put them in their boxes.At first i didnt realize what i had done.Was i ,against my will, beginning to packup my cars so i could leave the world and also move into a cave ?
bernard

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Having had the privilege of seeing Bernard's collection first hand, I am not surprised that he has turned up another .... heretofore ... unknown oddity, at least unknown in "the West." Another great find Bernard!!

Now .. as to where he gets all of this stuff.
One might think that Bernard has amassed his collection over many years of hard work, diligence, making contacts across the world, following up on leads, and the like. Of course that would be the simple explanation. And Bernard has offered us a different, more interesting, if highly suspect explanation. I have often wondered, as the UPS truck drives by my house, if some time it will simply stop and the driver will simply unload box after box of old slot cars ... a gift from the slot car fairy. Maybe, just maybe, there is a slot car fairy and Bernard has a direct connection to her.

One might certainly doubt this explanation as so much magical clap-trap .. it is just that this hobby as always had a sense of magic and wonder about it since my early years ...

And sometimes it is more fun to let the imagination wander ...

all my very best

Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts