SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's another one from my occasional workbench. A Scaley C16 Ferrari P4. This was another Ebay special. Grubby, cracked screen, incorrect front axle and wheels, split contrate wheel, no driver and a missing exhaust tip.

Once again, a good clean, Rustoleum 2X paint job and Kevin Oz decals have sorted the aesthetics. Whether the paint will stay on the rather soapy plastic remains to be seen, but it seems OK so far. The missing exhaust tip was replaced with a bit of wire insulation, superglue in place. The cracked screen is proving difficult to replace, but a clean and a coat of Klear type floor polish has improved the appearance to acceptable for a runner.

Cleaning, new tyres and braids, and a replacement contrate from the bits box deal with the mechanicals. Repro front wheels came from Scalextric Restorations and the ever useful bits box provided an axle that put the wheels in about the right place in the arches.

I'm pretty happy with the results, and I'm becoming more confident in my painting and finishing. I'm definitely getting more comfortable with waterslide decals, which have always been a bit of a phobia of mine.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive design Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Toy Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies for the photos being not ideally arranged. I'm having some difficulty editing the post from my phone. I'll try to tidy up a bit when I get to my laptop again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very smart, Pat. The Scalextric Mirage in Gulf colours next, perhaps?
Tempting, but it's contingent on finding a tired Mirage, at a price I'm prepared to pay, with postal charges I don't consider ridiculous (or which can be amortised over a large job lot).

I'll confess to a soft spot for the P4 and Mirage pairing, because one of them, I'm fairly sure, was the first slot car I ever encountered and "drove". I would have been 4 or 5 and one of my older brother's friends had received what I'm now confident, based on my dim memory of the controllers, was a You Steer set, possibly YS400. Must have been Xmas 1971 or thereabouts. I'm not sure quite how I managed to nag a go out of him, but I remember being reluctantly handed the controller, and simply squeezing the trigger to full, resulting in, IIRC, the green car leaving the track at the first corner and spanging off the skirting board rather emphatically. I was, of course, rapidly relieved of the controller and ejected from the room. It was a further 8 years before I got another opportunity.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That Ferrari has turned out very nicely.
Have you thought about using transparent packaging material for a new windscreen? In UK, quite a lot of goods come packed like that. You just need to choose a suitable-shaped piece and cut it to fit.

In my opinion the Mirage isn’t such a nice starting point. The side Windows go too high into the roof and the nose is too flat.

Keep up the good restorations!
Mike

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The P4 looks great, quite a transformation and better than a standard one. The Russian Mirages pop up cheaply on Ebay often, worth looking out for if you want to transform one like the P4.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Ferrari has turned out very nicely.
Have you thought about using transparent packaging material for a new windscreen? In UK, quite a lot of goods come packed like that. You just need to choose a suitable-shaped piece and cut it to fit.

In my opinion the Mirage isn’t such a nice starting point. The side Windows go too high into the roof and the nose is too flat.

Keep up the good restorations!
Mike
I have a suspicion that the screen is a but of a sophisticated shape for single curvature flat plastic to look quite right. I do, however, have a fair bit of mould making experience in another field, so if I ever find the time I may use the cracked screen as a plug to create a female mould, into which I may be able to coax some suitable transparent material. Or I might just keep an eye on Ebay and/or the usual suppliers, and accept that I may have to wait a while.

Meanwhile, a C050 Lotus is waiting for some work and a Rob Walker/Brooke Bond Oxo paint job. Because I can think of few things more British than a privateer F1 Lotus, in Scottish colours, driven by Graham Hill, and sponsored by a company selling tea and beef stock. And losing a lot, of course.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have a suspicion that the screen is a but of a sophisticated shape for single curvature flat plastic to look quite right. I do, however, have a fair bit of mould making experience in another field, so if I ever find the time I may use the cracked screen as a plug to create a female mould, into which I may be able to coax some suitable transparent material. Or I might just keep an eye on Ebay and/or the usual suppliers, and accept that I may have to wait a while.

Meanwhile, a C050 Lotus is waiting for some work and a Rob Walker/Brooke Bond Oxo paint job. Because I can think of few things more British than a privateer F1 Lotus, in Scottish colours, driven by Graham Hill, and sponsored by a company selling tea and beef stock. And losing a lot, of course.
Checkout Greenhills Garage or Slotmania, they usually sell those bits of vintage cars.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What I had in mind was using a 3D piece of packaging like the one in this photo. The screen on my scratch built Ferrari 312P was made from a piece like this. The side windows are single-curvature made from flat plastic.
Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I had in mind was using a 3D piece of packaging like the one in this photo. The screen on my scratch built Ferrari 312P was made from a piece like this. The side windows are single-curvature made from flat plastic.
Mike
View attachment 278901
Ah, yes. That might work. I shall keep an eye open for suitable packaging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts