Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just got back into slotting after a looooooooooooong (20 years) absence. This will be my first time into the actual HOBBY, as opposed to just having toy cars to run around a track. Also my first exposure to the 1/32 world.

Have started with a Scalextric Circuit 2 set, and also purchased 2 of the Dallara IRL cars (big open wheel fan...IRL, F1, CART, etc)

As a life long model railroader as well (HO scale) I'm TREMENDOUSLY impressed with the level of detail and modeling available in today's slot cars. My last exposure to them was little plastic things that vaguely resembled car shaped items...sort of.

Have a few questions for you old-timers

1) The easy one first
Is there a Michael Schumacher F1 car in the slot world?? I haven't found one, but then again, being so new, no idea where to look.

2) I'm already, of course, planning on expanding the layout. Have some benchwork from an old train layout, and have already designed a layout to fit it. However, other than the local Hobbytowns (which have a limited selection and take a week+ to order something) I can't find a source for sport track. What online retailers do you folks reccomend?

3) Obviously, this is the first time I've been into the hobby with an eye toward performance and modifications. Where are the good places to start in terms of performance mods? (cost vs return on investment). Would I get the most bang for my buck by upgrading tires, or motor, or..?? And what sources (again, online is fine) do you folks reccomend for upgrade parts?

4) Finally, anyone else around Nashville know of some good groups/tracks/stores for racing, hanging out, whatever?
I know there is a slot track down here in LaVergne, but I've NEVER managed to catch it open, so I have no idea what they offer or how nice it is(n't).

Looking forward to learning about this hobby as I go, thanks for your time folks.

/gb

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Hi And welcome (back) !!

In the US I would try Fantasy Hobby World and Slot Car world

Fantasy Hobbies

Slot Car world

Carrera make a Michael Schumacher car, and Scalextric will be releasing one at the end of 2005

Biggest bang for buck is to change Tyres - however you dont really need to do much if you are going to go racing with Magnets. If so, it then becomes a balancing act between stronger magnets and what your transformer can handle.

Trawl through the threads on the forum and you will see many many suggestions for performance improvements..

look out for Scalextric digital!!! Brand new and sure to change the way model cars are raced (look on the digital forum for more info)

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Hi gb, welcome to the madhouse!!

QUOTE Where are the good places to start in terms of performance mods? (cost vs return on investment). Would I get the most bang for my buck by upgrading tires, or motor, or..?? And what sources (again, online is fine) do you folks reccomend for upgrade parts?

Another upgrade worth considering is controllers, the standard Scalextric ones aren't the best and improvements here can make a huge difference.

Have fun,

Rob

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
abie321,

Thanks for the welcome, and double thanks for the links.

And yeah, last night I learned of the Carrera Schumacher car...found a couple on E-Bay...of course, both would have to be shipped overseas making them a tad pricey...but...droooooooooooooooooooooool , it looks GORGEOUS.

As for the tires..I have noticed that simply roughing up the stock tires on the Dallara IRL cars has greatly improved their performance...so yeah, I can see how such a simple and inexpensive thing as tires could be a good first step into "tuning". Thanks again for the input.

As for the digital end of things, I've been reading a great deal about it. Being from the MRR world, where I use DCC (Digital Command Control) exclusively, I'm fascinated by bringing that same technology (and its benefits) to slot cars...and, honestly, it makes perfect sense to do so since the two circuits are, essentially, exactly the same. So yeah, I think we can expect digital control of some sort to show up on my slot car track SOME day.

taxi,

Thanks for the welcome

The info on controllers is interesting...hadn't even really thought about that, but obviously power and its application to the track is going to be a big part of a car's performance. I'll do some shopping and reasearch. (Alrady also plan in adding another power supply...only makes sense to me that each car have its own, so the actions of one don't effect another)

------------------

Thanks again guys for the welcome...really looking forward to this.

/gb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts