SlotForum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi!

Sunbahters

"Sunbathers" section is reused from my old track. Scenery item was damaged and I had to do some remodelling.

Sunbathers are Preiser and SlotIt resin copies. This kind of human figures are easily copied in resin with a good two-part mould.

Figures are painted with Humbrol/Revell enamels

Until next time ...

Chers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi!

I decided to add some traffick control to the track

The following story unfolds before our eyes: Traffick police is measuring the speeds with laser and stopping speeding drivers at the next curve. The police has also stopped bobcat transit for inspection, roadworkers do not look happy. At the picture below I have cut foamboards to shape.

I created several police figures and panted yellow reflective safety west for each figure. I printed "POLICE" signs and glued it to the backside of each figure. Text is regular laserprinter black and white print. Tacks will keep figures standing on foamboard.

Grass and sandpaper are glued to the urethane boards, two cops are already measuring the speeds at the right at the picture.

Detailing is inserted, at the picture below police are inspecting bobcat transit trailer, roadworker is watching

A taxi driver has been stopped for speeding and he has to take breathalyzer test.

Police with speed laser.

Bobcat transit once again, one of the officers is taking pictures for evidence. Police figures are mainly FLY, roadworkers Preiser. Police officer taking pictures is MRRC.

My time is running short, only two days left for build

Cheers!

Julius

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Fabulous fun! Great build with lots of ideas. I'm impressed with the drawing pin idea for mounting figures. My own method is to remove the heavy plastic disc and glue on a clear plastic sheet saved from packaging.

You can then put them in any location. Cut off most of the base with side cutters then sand off the remainder on a disc or belt sander to get it dead upright.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi Graham,

I considered clear plastic sheet, but unfortunately some of the figures are standing on very tall grass so you can not use clear sheet there.

Nice Carabinieri figure you got there - where can I buy one?

Cheers!

Julius

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Yes, they wouldn't work in tall grass. For that I'd use a pin and drill up through a leg, but still remove the plastic base.

The figures were resin samples from Slot Track Scenics. I don't see them on their website anymore so maybe they weren't so popular. I need to add more detail really, but that's on my list for MMC 2012.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi!

Thanks again for encouraging comments - I am sure the event goes well, only two days event and adult customers - no problem

At the picture below I have moved on to form a base for snackbar snacky.

I formed walkways with sandpaper and surrounded them with grass, simple technique and looks good

Detailing includes movable Snacky signs. Base of the sign is floppy disk metal piece folded open.

Resin Snacky customers are panted and I will add them later on...

I finalized the scenery beside the taxi queue. Pedestrian tarmac leads to taxis.

Until next time

Cheers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi!

Last track section has been finished

Here is an overview of the track. Track length is 11,7 meters (38,4ft). Track is NINCO, I use it for its electrical reliability and ease of use.

For the last finished scenery section I created lots of taxi customers. Advertising billboards are nice touch.

Closeup of the crowd

Snacky has some customers as well

Red girl is yelling something for the taxis

Taxi queue from rear angle

Couple of words about electrical. Drivers panels at the picture below. These panels are easily attached to any table. Controller change is fast and inexperienced operators are able to do it.

I have separate supplies for the track and sensor card. My sensor card provides easy connection from track to PC. Signals are isolated, I have had zero burned PC printer ports. Control card provides also relay control and a connection for startlights.

This time I have fancy green PC running SRM (Slot Race Manger) on DOS 6.22. LCD is showing my test run lap-times.

For car detection I use my own sensors, which have LDR as a sensor. OpAmp circuit provides sensitivity adjustment with a trimmer. Super bright LEDs mounted inside the track provide light for the sensors. Notice the four start lights embedded to the lightbridge.

Next.... exhibition..... will try to take and post pictures

Cheers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi!

Assembling the track at the Turku exhibition centre. At the picture below the track and accessories and tools have been packaged to six movers boxes. Track scenery lies flat ontop of the boxes (for some reason Photobucket wants to rotate the image)

I was provided with 2m x 3m table which was agreed upon with advertising agency. Final customer makes all kinds of software for taxi appliances - don´t ask more, that´s all I know.

First I assemble the track and electrical systems. If you run into problems it is easier to debug the track while scenery is not in the way. I have not had any problems up to this day though. Better knock some wood...

At the commercial event like this one you have to keep things nice and tidy. At the picture below you can see how I hide the wires under the table cover. At the picture you can see cover cut open, I used stapler to close and seal the cover so thet the wires are hidden. Notice also my drivers panel which is attached to table with a clamp.

When I am sure that the electrical part works its time to place the scenery items to the track

Finished track. Other parts of customers premises are still unfinished

Customer workers were very enthusiastic about the track and they wanted to place some of their own ads to the track scenery. This was fine by me - they pay good money for track hire so it is only reasonable that they can slightly modify it to their needs.

Gave them crash cource on how to operate the track. One switch starts timing and track power. PC has to be started separately, it boots directly to SRM. SRM is very easy to use. I left track power relays unconnected so if they have PC problem they still can run cars on the track. I have not encountered PC problems with these DOS based systems so far. SRM timing program is extremely stable.

Within couple of days I will see what has haeppened to my track....

Cheers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi!

This is not the first time I operate like this, leaving my track for customer for a couple of days.

I went to Taxi exhibition on the last day of the fair to collect the track. Track had performed well and customers looked happy.

They had placed some additional stickers to the track. These ads fitted the track quite nicely.

A closeup of my drivers panel and a Parma controller modified with a hook. Wires are tugged nicely under the cover.

One of the resin bodies was broken and was transformed into ad-car by customer. All other cars were in good shape. Prior this project I hesitated using resin bodies in such harsh use but car bodies tolerated use very well. I wouldn´t use resin bodies at kids parties though.

It took me less than one hour to take the track to pieces. I experienced no losses, no missing cars or scenery items. If someone is going to try the same business it is good idea to make some sort of insurance policy for lost items.

Shell people at the fair were impressed about the fact that my scale model of the Shell petrol station contained their latest advertising campaign. They gave me a Shell bag full of goodies.

So this was it, project complete. Thank you for your interest.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party here, but this is very cool
I like things that are a bit different

Do you have the number for that DBS cab? Think I'll be calling them to take me everywhere

Cheers

AM

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Congratulations on your successful event. That's no mean feat to provide a track that survives a two day exhibition without you there - well done!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts