SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Yes I'm going Tyrrell mad . . . . again!

You'll all be aware of the Scaley Tyrrell 007?

Well using that as a base, this is what I hope to end up with.

Ain't she pretty?

As I'm already about 1/4 of the way through the build I'm not going to bore you all with endless pictures taken on my bench, just watch this space for the finished article.

I won't be long!

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (Ian H @ 12 Dec 2011, 01:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... I'm not going to bore you all with endless pictures taken on my bench, just watch this space for the finished article...

Who says that you 'll bore us?
It's just that proces that intresed a lot of us. So where are those pictures

Don't take it personal, the model does not intrest me at all, what you find pretty, I find hidious, and perhaps you think the same of what I like, or others like, but that's a question of personal tased, with all respect.
But techechnique is something we all learn from, and that makes your model also beutiful to me, and probely lot of us. There are a lot of people building original stuf, show us what your doing even if it's your first attemt .
Like I sad, it's noting personal against you, it's rader a call to every one, show us what your doing, we're intrested, at least I am.

I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say here.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Seeing the build is the fun part not boring, Look at any of the scratch built posts. A picture of a finished Tyrell will tell us nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Hi Ian.

Please do not be afraid to post pictures of your ongoing build - this is after all a kit/scratchbuild thread and being able to observe a model progress through the different stages of a build is often the most interesting part. A few years ago I built a Tyrrell 002 based upon Francois Ceverts 1971 USGP winning car ( http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41823I ). I found posting a regular log of the build really helpful, as it initiated lots of comment and conversation from fellow Tyrrell fans and SF members who were able to provide plenty of additional information and knowledge.

So don't be shy; show us your pics!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
227 Posts
QUOTE (Ian H @ 12 Dec 2011, 10:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ermm . . . . . ?

Does anyone fancy a pint?

Yep, I'll have pint.
I'd love to see a couple of build pictures too. So I can shamelessly pinch some of your techniques ( 70's F1 cars are my favourite kind and I am happy enough to pirate anyones ideas)

Can I still have the Pint?

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
I don`t drink, can I just have a Coke please Ian?
And yes you should be posting pics of the progress on your car.

Cheers
Kev.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ian - I will watch... and have a pint, while I am waiting.

Being the biggest Tyrrell fan (from the seventies) outside England, I have had the pleasure and the greatest joy to attend live and see the eight wheeled Tyrrell win yet another 1-2 on Zolder in Belgium on Sunday May 20 1973. A few weeks later, Sunday June 17 1973, I was present again, when it was only a four wheeled Tyrrell, driven by the unforgettable Francois Cevert, which earned third place on Anderstorp in Sweden. Stewart coming in fifht.

On Saturday October 6 1973 the magic was all over......

Of course I was present live, among other races these years, at Anderstorp, Sweden, in 1974 and 1976 when the young guys, Scheckter and Depailler, made great 1-2 races. But it was, unfortunately, not quite the same.

I will never forget these blue racers from 1970 to 1973 (Tyrrell 001 to 006/3).

/Holger

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Blimey holger
Has some one added another 2 wheels to the P34 tyrell ,no wonder it keeps winning these historic meeting s

TEE HEE

Cheers tony
PS Vanwall ready early in the new year

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Tony - sorry about my Queens English.

By "eight-wheeled" Tyrrell I ment one of the six 1-2 victories Jackie Stewart and Francois Cevert won in the years 1971-73. Just trying to image the picture of Fangio and Moss in the "eight-wheeled" Mercedes W196 back in 1955. But obviously I failed. Sorry.

But, as stated above, I in fact saw the six-wheeled Tyrrell P34 win 1-2 at Anderstorp in 1976!

Great news concerning the Vanwall (1955) shells. Does this count for the Ferrari 625 (1955) as well?

/Holger

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I am also a big fan of the Tyrrells and have long felt that the 005/6 has not been well represented in the slot car world. (The French and Polistil are OK but lack quality.)
(As a non-drinker I will join Kev and have a Coke and watch the build progress...)

Keep us posted Ian!!!!

Cheers,
Philip

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Holger
No problems with your english ,I was aware that the 6 wheelers only gp victory was at anderstorp and I had this picture in my minds eye that someone in currnet historic series had managed to graft a tyrell P34 front end on to a williams 6 wheeler rear end
Perhaps I,ve drunk too much cider !

The ferrari is just waiting for me to make a mould for it
so they will both be ready in january

cheerstony

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Ok I give in!

Here's a few pics, bearing in mind that I've already done a lot of the work unphotographed.

Side fuel tanks made from Milliput and dremelled to shape.

Front wing made from Plasticard which was heated and bent into shape.

Much of the engine details have been cut away as I'm modelling my car on Stewarts 1973 Monaco winner which sported an engine cover that was very similar to the 005.

Looking rough as a badgers at the moment but she'll clean up. Using decals from Pattos.

As long as she's fast too . . . . which she will be!

PS, Yes that is a rear wing off a BT44 Brabham!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I knocked up a 006 a little while ago. Started life as a Scaley M23. Took quite a while for the conversion(!!). Lots of plasticard, araldite, filler, swearing....

Decals I think mostly Pendles. Stewart's tartan band was an absolute b...h to make and attach.

Nowhere near the standard of cars I've seen here, but looks great round the track and the short wheelbase gives unique handling.

Great era for me with big fat tyres and low aero.

Sorry about the black car in the foreground, project was to re-create Silverstone 1973

(Current project is 1968 Nurburgring Stewart MS10, Hill 49B)

Phil.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Absolutely stunning!

Although you've sent me a linky before its always a pleasure to see your 006 and 72.

My car will be nowhere in your league but I'll give it me best shot!

Nice (nice) work son!

By the way . . . . how did you make the tartan headband?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am sure there are a million better ways to do this....
Searched for Royal Stewart tartan on internet. After messing about, created a suitable JPEG

Printed on ''Crafty Computer Paper'' inkjet waterslide decal sheet A4 Clear (CPJ314A) (Clear as it was going on a white helmet). Lot of messing to get size right. Then Sprayed as directed with their ''Clear Glaze''.

So far so good.

As the print is a rectangle it obviously does not slide corectly onto what is essentially a sphere (the helmet) - it sticks proud of the helmet apart from the bottom edge where it touches all round. My Paint Shop Pro s/w wouldn't let me distort the rectangle into a partial disc - which would be good for a cone but still not perfect for a ''sphere''. So Engineering fettling required.

Got the decal flattened onto left & right sides of the helmet and left to dry out. But front and rear of decal only touching at the bottom edge (the ''sphere effect''). Dropped superglue behind the gap and then sliced the decal (3 cuts) with a brand new exacto and pressed the top edge of the decal back onto the helmet using the sharp edge of the knife so the knife wouldn't stick. As the decal was now sliced, each (tiny) segment made by the slicing could now overlap and hence reasonably sit on the helmet. Did same at the back but with a bit less finesse.

As you may imagine, this took a few attempts and was a complete PITA due to the small size and the previously stuck bits of the decal moving about.

Result
(from the afformantioned MS10 project - need to re-do the Tyrrell as this attempt was better)

I am sure someone will have a much better way of doing it and I will have a big ''DOH!!'' moment.

Good luck.

Phil.

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUOTE (Ian H @ 13 Dec 2011, 20:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Ok I give in!...
I'm glad you did, nice work what you've done so far. What are you using as a filler?
Love to see the rest of the progress.
And I always fancy a pint

Cheers,
Danny

1 - 20 of 86 Posts