SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. so at christmas my missus bought me a small scalextric drift set as a gift, over the following month it grew in size to the point where she could no longer run the hoover round the living room and i was getting quite a bit of grief!!!

so I have now been moved to an outbuilding at the back of my pub (no beer taps in there though... yet!!!)

I spent a small fortune on track etc and laid this out on four 8ft x 4ft sheets in a 'U' shape in my 'scalextric room'!!!

I am happy with the way the track runs, I have had power issues which I am intending to deal with at the weekend but I am basically looking for advice on scenery. I will openly admit that I have been a little impatient/eager and have played around with some cliff/rock faces/trees/bushes etc. which i am not quite happy with so below is some photos of what i have done so far..

Please do criticise, I will take it as contructive critiscm as at the end of the day I am a total beginner!

The cliff faces/rocks have been made with expanding foam, which i then carved to a suitable shape, then brushed with a wet filler, let it dry and then painted (rather randomly) with matt finish oak wood stain (i did say i was very impatient and it was the only material I had available to at least make them look like rocks/cliffs! it was about 2am and i had had a couple of beers after just finishing work!) , at first i was quite pleased with my first attempt, however the more i read on Slotforum the more i realise how terrible my landscaping looks!!!

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u498/dandan1980/

apologies if ths sounds like aload of random rubbish, I am new to slot form and will get the hang of it soon!!!

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Blimey, you've cracked on at a fair pace with that layout. From beginner to scenic layout builder all since Christmas.
I think what you've done looks great, remember that some of the tracks shown on here were build by experience model builders who have built up their knowledge over a number of years, not many of them work in the wee small hours while under the influence of a few pints of the good stuff.

I take it you were happy with the layout of the track before you started on the scenery? Sometimes it's best to take time to run the track for a while, make sure you aren't bored of the way it races, before you decide it's permanent.

I guess you run with magnets in? Some of the corners would need a bit more runoff (track borders) if you were sliding about without the magnets in.

Do you have a track plan you can show us?

Keep up the good work, try to take your time a bit though, I know you're eager but sometimes if you're too eager you'll end up doing something that you're not happy with and you end up having to do it again.

Cheers
DJ

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
Hi dan, to echo DJ there, well done, your work rate puts me to shame!

A Scalextric pub, does it get much better?

Regarding DJs comment about not going too permanent till you've run the track for a while - top bit of advice that, so if you want to try your hand at scenery this early, have you thought about building the scenery in sections? That way you don't have to brutally hack it up to relay track, just remove a section that may possibly be used later. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work and a pint of Bass when your ready please, mine host ;0)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for replying and for your kind words and praise!

here is a pic of my track layout, it has had a few tweaks since this plan after i had some assistance from a kind chap in York called John, but it is very similar. I did run the track for about 3 weeks and am quite happy with it (i never intended to be a pro slot racer!) its just a bit of fun really for when the missus and baby are tucked up in bed late at night and it has also given me something else to focus on rather than thinking about my business/pub 24 hours a day 7 days a week!!!

I do run with magnets in and have stuck with analogue scalextric for now as i have bought a few other brands of cars cheap in the local model shop. I do have some digital track pieces which i will add at a later date though.

Photobucket

any more thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated and i will hopefully be able to pick 'the pro's' brains at some point soon!

Best wishes and thanks again,

Dan

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Dan, you've made a pretty good start. Congrats on taking the plunge.

If you want to get some more texture into your rocks you could try spraying some areas with glue and sprinkling with some texture, maybe sand or sawdust or whatever you can find cheaply. Top coat with another spray of white glue and water.

One of the hardest things with the spray foam is getting rid of the round oozed and excreted look. Maybe backfill at the base of some of the really rounded, glossy Laval forms with some of the foam trimmings you carved from other areas. Slap a bit of plaster coat or joint compound or what have you over the top to anchor and add texture.

The oak brown stain could be toned down a little with some darker areas. Might take some experimenting to fond some paint/stain that will adhere to the current one.

Remember, everything takes time. None of the tracks you admire have been short term projects. And nothing is ever finished until you say it is. Then you'll still decide to fiddle with it 6 months later.

Embs

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great work.Look similar to some of my scenery (which is definitely still a work in progress!). I too found the the expanded foam approach quick and easy to begin with, but ultimately a bit limiting, messy and hard to control, especially if you are trying to work in close to the track. I tried a couple of papier mache techniques, but I must have got in horribly wrong as it took weeks to dry out. What many on here seem to suggest, and works well for me is to use a plaster of paris topcoat, on top of either tightly crumpled paper, or whatever solid material you happen to have lying around. I find roof insulation foam sheets very easy to work with, and you can get samples or offcuts used for packing for next to nothing. If you are going to cover it in plaster, you don't need to worry too much about final shape or texture. Use paper towel, or cloth strips soaked in plaster to build up the surface. Drys really quick and is easily painted. Great tip I picked up somwhere, once the paint is dry, bruch over with very watered down indian ink. It sits and drys in all the nooks and crannys and gives a great "rocky" effect. If you want to "lock in" your track and borders to the scenery, but need to option to remove them cleanly later, try wrapping the edges in tin foil before foaming/plastering. the scenery then moulds around the track itself but can easily be cut back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Dan, good work so far. 1 thing you may want to look at is a back drop to hide the bricks at the back. And it's easier to get that in place early in a project whilst you can still reach across your tables.

Doesn't have to be that complex, I used a plain sky blue paper table cloth that cost £2 each. Half it down the middle to double the width.

Best of luck

Hugh

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone.

Embs thank you for your kind words, your shed project was one of the first topics I read on here, I sat after work late one night reading in amazement at your skills, very very impressed! I did already use the offcuts off foam as you suggested but i placed these on the top of my cliff faces to loose the rounded surface that expanding foam seems to give!

Stricko, I know exactly what you mean about the expanding foam method being messy etc, its a pain sometimes and also i'm thinking now a little expensive, i have quite a lot of raised sections so have also given papier mache a go now, finding it much better for getting the shape i desire as im in control and not a mass of foam ooozing everywhere!

Hugh, great idea with the table cloth! I actually have some sheets of plasterboard i was going to fix to the walls and paint sky blue but may try your idea, much cheaper!!!

just to pick everyones brains again....

as i mentioned i was not quite happy with the effect the brown woodstain has given and am thinking now i would prefer more 'grey' tones on my cliffs. what would be peopels suggestions to cover up what i have done already and start again! what coulours to use as a basecoat etc and best easiest methods.

look forward to hearing form you!

Dan

·
6,455 Posts
Shed... Garage... Around here they are interchangeable.

I wouldn't so much worry about completely covering the stain. If you continue painting in layers and patches of translucent colour you'll finish up with a complex and rich tones. Artists acrylics should be fine for working over the top of the stain. Mixed with varying amounts of 'glazing medium' or 'matte medium' (you'll find the same product under both names) will let you layer up more translucent colours over the top.

I've been working on a side project with a rock wall of basalt rock. Raw umber has been the main colour with a hint of blue to grey it off slightly. Seems to be working well.

Embs

·
4,279 Posts
Thanks Embs, I was going to ask somewhere about how to take the sheen off artists acrylics.

I picked up a shed load for about 3 squid in Lidl or Aldi the other week. Always worth a look on their website for tools and materials for your layout builds. 36 tubes or so were in the set. Cheaper than the kids ready mixed paint I was picking up in The Range or BuM bargains (as B&M is known localy).

A tip Dan, go and have a look at some local outcrops for colouring and shading tips, I'd imagine there's a fair few around your way - perhaps tell the Mrs you're going to take baby out for a spin in the car for an hours bonding ;o)

·
6,455 Posts
Sorry Snurf, but at a guess the ones that you got from Lidl/Aldi or where-ever at that price really aren't much use. They're more filler than anything else. Certainly no good for washes or using very wet (which I'll admit to doing most of my painting quite wet). With just a little water added the really cheap acrylics will make a lot of froth and bubble. They have a lot of detergent etc added as a deflocculent.

·
4,279 Posts
Cor, try slipping that one into your daily conversation! That's a shame, but I'll use them for my practicing. I've got a few bits of dry stone walling from Dave at SlotstoScale - I've had about 5 goes at them and am enjoying learning new techniques, mainly pinched from Embers and other expert colourers posts!

That's the beauty of these forums, Dan's thread gets other peoples juices flowing, then they get advice from the experts or pointed to previous posts and learn learn learn. Thanks Dan and Embs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok Everyone, firstly thanks for your help so far and thanks for all your kind words!

Having managed to take a very very very rare night off work tonight, I spent a couple of hours in my 'Scalextric Den' at the back of the pub, ran the track and looked at my scenery attempts and I eventually stood back and realised I am not happy with it at all!

I'm Now sat at my laptop and found I have 37 tabs open with various tracks, scenery ideas, build ideas etc etc that I have been looking at on slot forum. So I have made the decision to take it all apart and start again

I realised that at the end of the day, when it is all done I know I will not be happy with it, the track doesn't run at a great pace, I have a hell of a lot of raised sections to sort scenery/rock faces on and as mentioned in my previous posts on this topic, I tend to go at things in quite a pace and rush them. I've spent a few quid in mdf so far but it can always be burnt on one of the fires in the pub!!!

So I intend to start from scratch, take my time, relax and enjoy slot racing/scenery building rather than sitting with my laptop, being envious of the many many amazing tracks on here and wishing I could do the same!

So... get used to me picking everyone's brains!

firstly a name for my new track.... Suggestions please!? My pub is called 'the Royal Oak' perhaps something themed around this

And Secondly, any suggested track plans... I will add dimensions of my table layout shortly!

And finally may I add a thank you for being accepted into Slotforum, I have enjoyed reading the many topics over the last few months and hopefully my new track will become one of those to watch!!!

Best Wishes,

Dan

·
6,455 Posts
It may seem drastic, but if you aren't happy with it then it's the right thing. Work on being happy with the track first. If it's a good, fun challenge to drive with the cars you like best then and only then lock it into place.

I was lucky enough to spend only a week or so of Xmas holidays crawling around on the floor working out tracks and recording (jotting on paper) the areas of them that I liked. It was only then that I took to the computer to see if I could work out all the sections that I liked into the space with which I had to work.

Scenery for me evolved from the shape of the track and attempts to explain why the track is shaped the way it is. Not the usual way of doing things perhaps, but it's worked for me... mostly.

Oh and being behind the Pub you must include the pub in the track. I want to see a scale representation of the Royal Oak. When the track is complete you can always open it up to patrons using the cash they pay to play to try to keep the slotting addiction fed.

Embs

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Embs,

My Modelling skills are not a patch on yours, I'll add a pic of the pub and perhaps you can build me one!!!

I know my decision sounds drastic, but after a while stood looking at my track, I realised more that I had been to quick in getting things moving and went about things without thinking first, I'm actually now quite excited about getting back a flat surface, starting again and playing around with track layouts. I think I have tried to incorporate several ideas that I had seen on here into one track and it just doesn't flow very well.

Once again, thanks for your advice!

Dan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts