SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a cyclist, so you must be thinking what has it got to do with slot cars. Well, you do get some great lube for bicycles that stays clean and if it can slow down wear and tear on a bicycle it must be able to do even a better job in slots cars. The products I'm talking about is dry wax lube. It goes on like normal oil and then dries to a wax. It does not wears off and stays on for a very long time. Anyone else ever looked into this?

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Is it actually Teflon?. You will get the same kind of result with Teflon spray. Sprayed on, dries, functions as lubricant.

Julius

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am a mountainbiker so have tried all the lubes. I found Tri Flo to work well on slots as well as bikes. It is teflon based.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used to be a serious cyclist
. When mountainbiking back in 97 my team was sponsored by a product called White lightning a parafin wax based lubricant. That was a very nice product. Not sure weather it's teflon or not. I haven't tried it on the cars though. I might try it on the cars later this week.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a bit of feedback. I did use some wax lube on all my cars (only have 3) and raced them for a evening. They sounded great and the stuff are doing the job but, when I opened them up, the wax was packed up all over the geares except on the teeth
. I had to use a toothpick to get it off. After that I used an old toothbrush to get every last bit of the pinion and crown and replaced the wax with Tamay's ceramic grease. The sound is still the same and will see at the end of the week what it looks like after a few nights racing.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Tri-Flow is great stuff, hard to beat & good for all kinds of applications. The White Lighting is just O.K., but it breaks down easily, has poor flow characteristics & probably would not handle the heat generated by slot cars very well. Perdo's brand of Cycling lube is good, but seems to be very similar to the Tri-flow, Since the Tri-flow is cheaper I use that on my bikes. I have not tried it on my slot cars, but I feel certain it would be good, since it was originally developed for Motorcycles & such. As to whether any of these are better than the accepted slot car lubes I do not know, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
IF the teflon lube really has bits of teflon in it (some don't, hence the if) then you shouldn't bother using it on the armature of slot car motors. Teflon expands when it gets hot and could cause a problem.

I learned this the weird way. I have teflon blocks, yup, solid teflon blocks. They look like white plastic and were for something in the aerospace industry. I took a small bit of one, reshaped it so it would fit on a lathe then turned it down to make bearings out of it for one of my HO slot cars. Everything worked perfectly until the motor started heating up. At that point the motor seized. I ended up opening the holes in the bearing material to a gross oversize so that when the motor was at operating temperature the bearing fit perfect. In the long run, it wasn't worth the time nor effort. Standard brass bushings with light oil worked better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts