SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Henk

Thanks for the photo. I've seen many bike parks like that in the Netherlands and wondered how owners find their way back to their own bike.
Basically many own two bikes, one to travel from home to the station, and one to travel from (another) station to work. The last one is an old beat up bike with little value, we actually call it a station bike. It doesn’t matter if it gets stolen or lost, you just get another one for 25 to 50 Euro.

Every year the council makes a round and tag all the bikes with a yellow leaflet stating that the bike will be taken away when it’s still on the same place after 24 hours. They always “retrieve” a lot of bikes that will be either recycled or sold again. So there’s a full circle in that :D

Also they clean the canals, you wouldn’t want to know how many bikes the fish out of the water: 15000!

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
My third brand new Japanese bicycle chain fitted yesterday within the last three months... I'm beginning to wonder. View attachment 278430
Some of the chains being sold these days are not up to the job.I had put a new chain on my bike and snapped it 3 times riding up Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham . Lucky I always carry a link extractor so was able to repair the chain each time. When I was doing a lot of ridding I would buy 3 chains and a new cassette each year, and swap the chains every couple of weeks to even out the wear. You are aware that if you fit a chain, then remove it for any reason, there are 4 ways that the chain can be refitted, and only 1 of the 4 ways is the correct way.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I can understand a bike being stolen, but how on earth does one lose a bike?
I have lost my car... In the parking lot of a very big Mall, spent like an hour searching for it until I decided to call for help and the personel searched by radio and cams. Worst of all... I was sobber!

Since that day Im very cautious about where I park the car, or use the Alicia Silverstone method.

Cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have lost my car... In the parking lot of a very big Mall, spent like an hour searching for it until I decided to call for help and the personel searched by radio and cams. Worst of all... I was sobber!

Since that day Im very cautious about where I park the car, or use the Alicia Silverstone method.

Cheers
Easy one to solve that is have something on it distinct, the Kuga which is untouched blends in but the E46 doesn't as it's been modified so I can spot it in a packed car park some distance away, doesn't even need to be garish either as a simple window sticker thats high on the glass will do.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Daniel

One easy solution to losing your car in a large car park is to fit illuminated opera lamps.

Lydia Bugatti's car below.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
The BBC reports today on new laws aimed at giving cyclists and pedestrians priority road use over motorised transport.

Horse riders, pedestrians and cyclists already have priority. Always have had which is not a matter of opinion, but simple application of ancient common law.

Wonder if government legal advisors have heard of jurisprudence. Seemingly not.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The BBC reports today on new laws aimed at giving cyclists and pedestrians priority road use over motorised transport.

Horse riders, pedestrians and cyclists already have priority. Always have had which is not a matter of opinion, but simple application of ancient common law.

Wonder if government legal advisors have heard of jurisprudence. Seemingly not.
Worst is that all the "modern laws" from Europe, are "imported" to Mexico, then our incompetent Congress try to make local adpatations that end in stupid, absurd laws.

For example, they painted a bycicle lane on a one way Two lane street, leaving one and half lane for cars, then make the busses to go on that available lane, provoking lots of trafick jam when the busses stop and no car can go through half line! 😠 Sometimes I do 40 minutes in a 3km trip!!!

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Daniel

A few years ago the poor old darlings who run Hereford City Council decided to reverse the direction of traffic in the city. It caused mayhem. Contradictory road signs led to a laughable situation in which road users were compelled to break the law by driving into roads clearly marked 'No Entry'.

The Marx brothers couldn't have done a 'better' job.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
My third brand new Japanese bicycle chain in as many months snapped today, stranding me two miles from home. This chain has lasted eight days since it was fitted by competent bicycle mechanics who know what they're doing.

Beginning to get an even more jaundiced view of Japanese engineering.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Trisha,
I don't know exactly which chain you bought but typically these chains especially from Shimano are very strong and break very rarely. Maybe you could check if the connection pin for installation broke because of bad installation.
Best regards
Thomas

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Thomas

My grateful thanks for your suggestion. Each of my three new chains was made by Shimano and, judging by their cost, were top of the range. All three were fitted by respected bicycle mechanics.

I'm at a total loss in trying to understand the reasons for so many failures, especially as the bike was completely overhauled recently with brand new parts.

With the exception of Nikon cameras, I've never had faith in anything made in Japan, and this regrettable saga serves to confirm, and compound, my prejudice.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thomas

My grateful thanks for your suggestion. Each of my three new chains was made by Shimano and, judging by their cost, were top of the range. All three were fitted by respected bicycle mechanics.

I'm at a total loss in trying to understand the reasons for so many failures, especially as the bike was completely overhauled recently with brand new parts.

With the exception of Nikon cameras, I've never had faith in anything made in Japan, and this regrettable saga serves to confirm, and compound, my prejudice.
Mmm what about Mazda, Toyota, Honda and Nissan cars, the midsize and luxury sedans? and of course the Coupe and 2+2 sport cars, are among the most reliable cars...

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've known of a Honda D series to be left on the limiter with no oil (bored mechanic with a scraped car) and still be screaming away an hour later.
Shimano make the most bike parts in the world which might not seem a lot to us westerners but when you get into countries where Bicycles are more prominent thats millions of bikes potentially with their stuff so they must be doing something right, maybe it's a bad batch or tensioning issue?

See if they can try a different make (it is doable) and see how it fairs.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
My third brand new Japanese bicycle chain in as many months snapped today, stranding me two miles from home. This chain has lasted eight days since it was fitted by competent bicycle mechanics who know what they're doing.

Beginning to get an even more jaundiced view of Japanese engineering. View attachment 279103
I notice that you are using a triple chain ring. Do you remember to avoid using smallest ring to smallest cog and biggest ring to biggest cog. If not you may be putting to much lateral load

Beginning to get an even more jaundiced view of Japanese engineering. View attachment 279103
Are your chains fitted with a "quick link" ? I have never trusted these and always use a rivet tool to fit the chain.
I notice that you are using a triple chain ring. Do you remember to avoid using the smallest ring with the smallest cog, and the biggest ring with the biggest cog ? If not you might be putting to much lateral load on the chain. unlikely I know but just a thought..
After a chain is fitted, put the chain on the middle ring and cog, so that the chain line is as straight as possible. Then slowly turn the pedals backwards. If the rear unlikely kicks or jumps it could indicate a stiff link.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thomas

Dave gave some hints regarding shifting, this could be hint into the right direction. Also it is always good to reduce torque during shifting. On the other hand I'm using these Shimano chains on XT od Ultegra level since decades on and off road with several thousend kilometers each Year and had never a snapped one. Even the 11 speed chains do have the same lifetime.
Shimano chains are maybe the chains with highest reputations regarding durability in the market. There are other brands like SRAM or Wippermann but there isn't a big difference between the brands.
Both the riveted version and the quick link versions are very reliable if mounted properly. The quick link version shouldn't be reused and the chain is direction dependend. The riveted version should be inspected and tested after installation to find out if the rivet is going all the way through and the at the same time not too much pressed together.
Good luck!
Thomas
EDIT: Maybe you could check as well if the chain is long enough for big-big although you shouldn't use this gear.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
I was told yesterday that, because of the Covid crisis and the recent incident involving a large container ship in the Suez Canal, there is a global shortage of bicycle components.

According to the young chap currently trying to fathom why my chain keeps breaking, many cyclists have been compelled to withdraw from major competitions due to the dearth of spare parts.

Rum but vaguely interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
I once went into a well known local cycle shop and got the young Y.T.S, serving me. I asked for a packet of 1/4 inch ball bearings.. The lad asked me if I wanted metric or imperial. I told him that it was for a 700c wheel from a British built bike. That really throw him.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I once went into a well known local cycle shop and got the young Y.T.S, serving me. I asked for a packet of 1/4 inch ball bearings.. The lad asked me if I wanted metric or imperial. I told him that it was for a 700c wheel from a British built bike. That really throw him.
Interesting answer when you are asking for 1/4 inch ball bearings. :)
In general bicycles and components are a very rare good and prices went throught the roof. Shortage will last for a longer time but to my experience it is still possible to buy components at a higher price.
Regarding the chain breaks I would have a look on Youtube and change the chain by yourself. Much easier than setting up a slot car properly.
Best regards,
Thomas

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Thomas

A propos my chain I've tried everything I know to solve this elusive problem. The whole shebang currently rests in the hands of mechanics who mend bicycles for a living.

So far they have also failed to locate the cause, which probably means that, yet again, they will replace all reciprocating parts, and charge me even more money.

As things stand my opinion of Japanese engineering is sliding even farther downward.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts