SlotForum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
You are not using super long cranks are you with a super small little ring ? I use 175mm cranks with a 34t inner ring. I live in hilly Devon and used to do a lot of my ridding in the Welsh mountains, and did not expect to break chains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fit a different brand..some crazy good chains out there..put a track chain on..am really thinking either your frame/drivetrain is misaligned or something in shifting/riding style..or leaving out in rain, riding in mud..chains wear and break…shimano makes amongst the best, if not the best…don’t be negative on Japanese made- to look in the mirror, Brit cars aren’t exactly the best quality

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Used by bike for the first time since end of July last year today. Been meaning to give it a service for weeks but never got around to it. So today just put a bit of oil on the chain and of I went. All went well until I used the front brake in earnest and then the was a lot squeaking and juddering and I could see the front forks moving. Rear brake was fine and the front got a bit better with use.

I have decided I'm being a lazy so and so driving every where so I, now walking to the main supermarket and cycling to the other one. Not very far but it's a start. Weight is no problem for the bike as it's a Claud Butler Regent tourer and comes with rear carrier and brackets for a front bracket. Only think that doesn't like a lot of weight is the tyres as it's fitted with Michelin sports tyres that are based on motorcycle technology and profile so have a very small contact area. They are very good in the wet but only on concrete and tarmac but no grip in mud or even damp grass, I've actually come to a stand still on muddy wet grass, but they are easy rolling and fast for there width.

Must get the service sorted out and then once the crowds have gone home start doing my seafront rides again, to much hassle trying to avoid all the people walking in the cycle lane at the moment.

Mind you the great British weather will probably scupper all my plans.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
My bicycle retrieved from the mending shop yesterday with its fourth new chain in as many months. "Will it last a week?" I asked.

"Yeah, no, can't see any probs. Yeah. Any isshoes (sic), bring it back, no yeah."

Planning to ride today and, naturally, it's just started raining...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have a safe ride and hope your chain will last longer this time. Maybe you could take a photo of the link which has been introduced to connect the chain before anything happens. Does the chain run smooth and silent also when you spin the cranks backwards?
Best regards
Thomas

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
All smooth and silent, thanks. Managed a brief outing of 10 miles, including a long and very steep hill, this morning, and the chain remains intact.

Will try a longer ride later with steeper hills. Like Mahler's symphonies, steep hills are best avoided, but nice when they're left behind if you have to tackle them.

Ditto songs by Schubert and Schumann.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You cant be working that hard Dave,your smiling.In 35 years of mtb in Wales,Scotland and the Alps and the worst mud,sand and anything else Ive ridden through I dont think I have ever had a shimano chain break.

·
David Collins
2,406 Posts
Me neither. I’ve had cranks, forks, seatposts, saddles break on me, but never a (good quality) chain. And I’m not obsessive about maintenance either. Just use Shimano or KMC for 11-speed, and only worry about them when the shifting starts playing up. OK, with any manufactured product, someone will always get a bad one occasionally, but regular breakages are very strange. Remember, these things are tested to destruction by guys who put out kilowatts in a sprint!

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Ridden my bicycle every day for a whole week since retrieving it from the menders' without the chain breaking, which makes a refreshing change.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
A neatly clipped hedge. It's one of several I encountered whilst cycling yesterday, for 'tis the season of plums, precipitation and punctures. Seem to recall seven punctures in just a week last year.

The lot of the September cyclist "is not a nappy one."

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Absolutely! The only 'safe' place to ride is way out in the road, and there you're at the mercy of the lunatic fringe van drivers!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sadly I don't think they make a DH tube equivlent for skinny tyres, thicker rubber to resist punctures which is really what you need during hedge clipping.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Too true, Kit. This morning I managed just over 5 miles on my daily cycle ride without seeing, or hearing, any form of motorized transport. 'Twas pleasant but...

... not for long. Just managed to escape to the safety of the narrow grass verge before being wiped out by a large white van travelling at Mach 3.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
BBC News has published a video of a 12-year-old schoolboy staying ahead of professional riders on the Tour of Britain. For a brief part of the way, the boy rides on a pavement by the side of the road.

I suspect he has quite a career ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Reminds of the time I was riding a cycling event near Brent Knoll, Somerset. A bunch of us were ridding along when we spotted a rather attractive young lady. We got so distracted by her that we missed a right turn that we should have taken, and went a way on up the road before we realised our mistake.
Anyway we realised we had gone off route. turned and retraced our route and made the turn up the road that climbs from the Somerset Levels towards Brent Knoll. As we started the climb a schoolboy races past up, out of the saddle honking up the hill. shouting "Are you in a race ?".
He no sooner got in front of us when he fell of his bike.
We stopped to render assistance, and were just checking the lad over when the young lady that we had seen earlier comes up to us and explained that she is the boys school teacher, and would be happy to take care of the lad from then on.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
My younger brother is a much more serious cyclist than I am, he's done silly things like ride up Mt. Ventoux etc. :oops: but his latest trick really takes the biscuit.

He's doing LeJoG, riding from Lands End to John O Groats! He's not doing it non-stop or in record attempt time, as it'll take him 25 days or so, but the average daily ride will be 50 odd miles, the total distance just under 1000 miles.

Just thinking about it makes me tired!

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Le Jog on a bike! Marvellous. Quite an adventure.

Mrs Grumpy knows a chap who, to mark his eightieth birthday, walked from London to his home in Herefordshire - a distance of roughly 140 miles.

Strangely, perhaps, he's still not in captivity...

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Having just started to ride my bike again I'm now out of the saddle for about three months due a an abscess at the bottom of my back. Probable cause is a hair going in the Phiondal sinus, I'll let you read up on it if you really want to, and it doesn't help being a hairy 🤬 and the first question asked was do you cycle and when did you last ride your bike. Why do we bother:rolleyes:

81 - 100 of 103 Posts