SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
422 Posts
My basic layout is finished, but I wish I had decided on a track theme before starting.

We have had great difficulty coming up with something appropriate for the two lane circuit (that incorporates a long double pit lane and further on, a considerable hill climb / mountain-road).

There are two main problems: (1) theme choice is dependent on the cars available. (2) buildings taller than two storey pit garages look way out of scale.

Hence I wondered about setting things the future: there might well be classic car events then, and obsessional modelling with historical accuracy would be unnecessary. We would have to make do with unconventionally lowish structures.

Just a thought anyway...

Ideas relevant to a futuristic theme would be most welcome!

😊

· Martyn
737 Posts
Future racing will probably be various circuits around the world with empty stadiums, but a large audience watching on TV screens of small electric cars trying to beat each other. Of course I know its a bit out there so will never catch on.
banana.gif

· Banned
1,385 Posts
Depends on what version of the Future you want to represent, you've got the Post Apocalyptic angle (Mad Max, Fallout etc), Retro Futuristic (prewar Fallout, Bladerunner, 2000AD etc) or just what you feel the actual Future of racing could be (Wipeout series possibly?), once you've got an idea of the theme side you can go from there.
Theres all sorts you can do, Skyways around the Cities of the future, racing across the terraformed landscapes of other Planets or even trying to win your freedom in the ruins of a blasted out Civilisation.

· Premium Member
1,306 Posts
A rally cross circuit - dirt and tarmac - running through a shanty town set on a hillside? Most shacks are single-story structures and would work in your low-level skyline. You would not need to obsess over accuracy or quality of the buildings - they could be simple cardboard structures. A lot of figurines populating the scene- humans and packs of feral dogs. The vehicles could be anything - old, new, street, racers, rat rods, junkers, trucks, war wagons. Again no accuracy required, so you could use bashed up old slot cars. All of your shiny new cars can be parked at the big-tech overlord's mansion on top of the hill

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, a big thank you everyone. It is all rather overwhelming, hence a day's wait before replying.

1. I am going to comment on Aurora's idea first as I did actually want to turn it into Rally Cross circuit before the futuristic idea arose. This was thwarted however as there was no way I could retrospectively fit a joker lane in. This prompts me to ask: do all Rally Cross circuits have one?

2. The futuristic urban landscape in the video is phenomenal of course and there aspects, structure-wise that do inspire. I want my circuit to be about three quarters rural though.

3. Many of the post apocalyptic model scenes and dioramas are amazing but, with no disrespect intended, this it has become rather a trope. Its much too depressing for me as well.

So, maybe this leaves us with a Rally Cross type circuit, set in the not too distant future, where much of the circuit continues through unspoilt hilly scenery - that can clearly be identified as set in future by the presence of a few scattered structural landscape features, and the occasional hoarding of sorts that might further characterise the era.

OK, maybe we are getting somewhere!

Further ideas along these lines would be great. Also, how should I deal with the pit lane and related buildings and make them similarly relevant?

Cheers and take care all.

Keith

· Banned
1,385 Posts
One of the beauties of the future is rules can change, even if it is required to have a Joker now by then it may not be.
I think Wipeout did get some rural tracks (obviously not actual cars but could give you inspiration in joining modern with traditional countryside setting), there should be some vids on Youtube rather than needing to buy the games to have a look.

· Registered
4 Posts
How about some Roger Dean for inspiration? He's the guy that did album covers for the bands Yes and Asia. For the digital age kids, albums were something that your parents used to use to clean seeds out of their weed. Don't believe me, go check out the crease in their old double albums.
smile.png

Water Water resources Plant Sky World
Paint Painting Art Art paint Rectangle

Or maybe a trip to Middle Earth?

Ecoregion Green Nature Natural landscape Botany

Or just go nuts...

Building Plant Urban design Font Facade
Rectangle Building Font Urban design House

As for dystopian futures, there's Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes, and the rather prophetic (in hindsight) Idiocracy, 'cuz Brondo's got electrolytes. Truly a Great American Classic, or ain't America great again classless, as it were

Seriously though, what would Lord of the Rings look like with cars? Like maybe New Zealand and Cuba had a baby?

Just spit ballin'...
wink.png

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
I think a fun take on "rural futurism" could look something like this:

585.jpg

Lots of greenery, an organically-shaped but artificial tiered landscape, and lots of geodesic domes and sail-like structures. Maybe scatter in some wind turbines and solar panels for good measure. (For reference, this is the Eden Project in England, but for similar images search for "Solarpunk" architecture or landscapes on google.)

Finding a context for the pitlane is tougher, but from a story perspective it might make sense for it all to be a mobile/temporary affair. Maybe each pit stall is actually a semi trailer, or a container-like prefabricated structure dropped into place via drone!

medical-delivery-drone-GettyImages-12037

The spectators might find shade in something like this:

custom-outdoor-awning-canopy-tensile-lan

Hope this helps! I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for your layout!

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A massive thank you for taking the time and trouble to post all this. There are some potentially very useful underlying themes here. I am greatly inspired .. and all this will surely kick start me into the next five years.

Needless to say that as an electronics hobbyist the layout will be peppered with a host of hopefully appropriate lights and sirens. There is quite a sharp turn at the bottom of a long descending hill where I am planning to accommodate a series of running, presumably red, LED lights into a barrier. The lights will be triggered to start by an infra red beam as a car approaches and flow in an on state in a stream along the barrier and back again several times, from the start, until it has passed by. Power will come from the track. The idea would not be at all complex for the electronic people here, but is providing me with a neat little, learner project which is well underway. Now, here's a question for everyone: the lights have to be mounted into a convincing barrier of sorts, where there is currently a tyre wall, in a position where the car drivers could see them but they wouldn't get damaged by impacts. I wondered about putting up some kind of corner direction arrows and working from there? OK this is not a very futuristic feature, but it should add something if it can be made to look a little unconventional.

Anyway, if this thread continues I promise not to revert to ostensibly yet another electronics discussion. There are so many other challenges upcoming related to the ideas above.

:)

· Registered
17,272 Posts
Would be rather nice, Keith, if we could see a few pictures of your track afore much longer. Please?

Most intriguing. The future. It's intriguing. Is it? Dunno. Struggling to comprehend the present at the mo, so the future is... gissa clue, please.

· Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would be rather nice, Keith, if we could see a few pictures of your track afore much longer. Please?
Most intriguing. The future. It's intriguing. Is it? Dunno. Struggling to comprehend the present at the mo, so the future is... gissa clue, please.
Trisha and others,

Here is a layout diagram and some photos I posted in October last year.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146369&p=2385367

We have since done away with the tunnel and replaced it with a corner just in front of the entrances.

The landscaping is unfinished, pending grass and painting the rocks.

The corner I talk about in the last post is unfortunately out of shot in these pics. I will take some more pics when the weather brightens up.

Thanks for your interest.

K

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.