SlotForum banner

Any new builds out there?

14K views 107 replies 25 participants last post by  GRAH1 
#1 ·
Hi
Anyone building any interesting cars out there? Things seem to be slowing down on this page a bit. Any nice conversions, scratchbuilds, chassis ideas?
Or am I just getting spoiled already?
The 'don't buy Fly' campaign seems to be gaining momentum, how about the 'build it yourself instead' movement?

#2 ·
Hi howmet tx,

I agree with everyone moanning about 'how expensive Fly are' and the 'Scaley Audi A4 DTM being canned' - what has happened to all the scratch builders?

I am no scratch builder, but I do enjoy building, converting all sorts of cars - projects at the moment include:
Modifiying a Reproslot Fiat Abarth to a Martini livery
Converting a static Nissan Skyline kit to a slot car using Slot-it parts
A similar project with a Mazda RX7 (unfortunatley this project could be on hold!)
Re-livery of a Scaley White Indy Car
and finally a project to update and relivery a Scalex old Mercedes Sauber C9.

All this and my home track project which I am building from Scalextric Sport track.

Any pics I will post on Slot Forum when I finish them.

Mark

#6 ·
Nope

Not finished yet STILL! that is the old 'what do you think' picture.

Going for aluminium ones but need to get the axle holes widened.
Which reminds me..anyone got a source for metric reamer bits please?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok... projects on the go at the moment include...

1. Mini Pickup converted from a Scalextric Mini

2. Mini traveller, again converted from a Scalextric Mini

3. Honda Civic Type R (BTCCspec) from a diecast model

4. Nissan R391 completely from scratch (I posted some pics of this a month or so back but it came to a grinding halt when my friendly machine shop couldn't read the CAD file!... Hope to get back on this shortly)

Yet to be started but in the pipeline...

1. An F3 car again completely from scratch

2. Relivery of a Sclextric IRL car

3. Lotus Exige from a diecast model

4. Reliveries of various cars to replicate rallycross cars

5. A permanent track to use them all on!

If I ever get this lot completed I'll be amazed!

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
...any pictures of that Graham? I would be interested to know what motor/chassis combination you squeezed under that narrow body.

It's a problem that I've been thinking about with the E-type: although the car is quite wide low down it soon narrows to b-type proportions as you go higher up the body. I wanted to fit something like an X04 in a surround brass chassis but it would be tricky and a tight fit. Deceptive because it seems like a large car.

#14 ·
Working on a Topslot 917 LH, (complete with darkened panel joined lines.

Slot it HRS Chassied Fly 917 Gulf Le Mans car.

Totip GT 40

Airfix Aston Martin

Cartronic Kremer Porsche, (to make it look more realistic!)

Linberg TR3 and MGA...Will be front engined cars

MRRC Clubman chassied Ford 3l and 250 LM

4 1930's cars, Jag SS, AM Ulster, MG Magnette, Alfa (looking for chassis ideas here chaps).

Not convinced many on here are interested in Scratchbuilding/Kitbashing, seem more interested in trivial racing topics, so I'm not sure it's worth going to the trouble of posting pics.

Regards

(A depressed {I have a cold}}

Alan

#15 ·
QUOTE Not convinced many on here are interested in Scratchbuilding/Kitbashing, seem more interested in trivial racing topics, so I'm not sure it's worth going to the trouble of posting pics.
Pah pooey! Viva howmet tx and the "build it yourself instead" revolution

I say post away Alan (and get well soon) - sounds like a great project list you have there

P.S. Strange. Just realised there are no prizes on offer here - unusual for a howmet thread

#18 ·
Thanks for posting the photos Graham. Perhaps you should have fitted a fall away guide instead of the plastecine - it would have been cool to see it wheelie down the straights

I checked out the Rikobomb/Atlas chassis combination against the E-type plan and it would be OK in a vac-form as you suggest. The thing is I want to make it out of wood so fit is still an issue. A long driveshaft small can motor mounted upright
ahead of the cockpit may be the solution but still thinking!

#23 ·
Don't get depressed on us, Alan... we're on your side.
Competition prize this week is Twenty Small Cigars (pre-smoked), but don't worry, John P's won them already for his clever interpolation of the Zappa theme. So he's the one that's going to be cleaning ash out his fax machine for the next few days.
I use a drop arm or iso-fulcrum set up on all my chassis these days. They run great, especially with the magnet on the drop arm, and a light spring to stop the front bouncing about too much. I do it mostly so I can get the car set up with the nose low on the track and the front wheels tucked well up into the wheel arches (without rubbing) for scale appearance, while keeping the front wheels in contact with the track, independant of the guide/pick up braids. Sloppy front axles don't do it for me.
Cheers everyone, and happy kit bashing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.