SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting (back) into slot cars and starting to design my track layout. I'm going to use "work benches" which are 2' x 6' (pretty well in cement) in the configuration shown in the attached images. Obviously when my track arrives I can try both designs and see which "races" better.

I'm more of a old school commercial track fan so I'm leaning towards the wider curves and longer straights. I figure I'll lay out the track before I order the benches and I could rearrange the track area if something better comes up. Any thoughts and or opinions are welcome...

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
I'm not a fan of the isochronus curves you have in the first one, but I don't think you need the full 180 of R3 as in the second one. Combine the exits from the turns at each end from the second one with the 90 degree R3 on the first one, and I think it will be good. Also, you'll want to extend that pit lane.

But, like you said, you don't know for sure until you drive it, so try them all. :)

Font Line Asphalt Slope Circle

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I agree - try them all and see which you like best.
I think I'd try the first curve at one end and the second at the other. That way you get to try both and by reversing the direction of travel you get two different circuits.
If the drivers stand close to the power base they'll block one anothers view of the track, but that's not a problem if the stand well back.

·
Rich Dumas
4,130 Posts
I am not a fan of tracks that have their driver's stations located so that they spoil the driver's line of sight. I race at a track that originally had that problem, but once organized races began to be run there the owner built detached driver's stations.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not a fan of the isochronus curves you have in the first one, but I don't think you need the full 180 of R3 as in the second one. Combine the exits from the turns at each end from the second one with the 90 degree R3 on the first one, and I think it will be good. Also, you'll want to extend that pit lane.

But, like you said, you don't know for sure until you drive it, so try them all. :)
I received most of my track yesterday and looking it over I like the wide curve layout fairly well... The rest probably won't show up until mid next week so I think I'll play around with the designer more and see what else I can come up with the pieces I'm getting. Trying to decide how high off the ground I want the track and now I'm leaning towards 30" which offers at lot more possibilities. It's going in a bar area and outside of the length pretty open if I don't do work benches.

Round two I'll probably look at extending the pit lane. I figure after I get everything up and running I'll end with another order.

I think I'd try the first curve at one end and the second at the other. That way you get to try both and by reversing the direction of travel you get two different circuits.
I have the pieces I'm going to have (which makes up the first image) so I'll play around. I haven't raced the cars yet but I'm not a big fan of stopping and starting... prefer sweeping tracks. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I get in some actual racing.

How far away from the track can drivers stand? As it is sightlines will be an issue at one end or the other for drivers who will be blocking sight from their competitor
Good point. Although I do have wireless controllers so I presume they can go anywhere. :) Again if I use different tables I won't have the same restrictions and who knows what I might come with. As of now there is a fairly deep space in front of the starting line so it might be OK with two drivers...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As my track is showing up I'm using the floor before I have tables made to match my final dimensions. I'm getting fairly close to the walls and want some type of protection and for whatever reason I'm not a fan of the stock guardrails so I started dreaming up ideals. I thought about perhaps those "socks" you place at the bottom of the door to stop air from coming in. My wife has made one for the front door and it looks somewhat "classy"

I also thought of the swimming "noodles" and happen to look for those at Walmart when I found the pictured cones. Roughly $10 for 10 and I thought they fit the theme rather nicely. I don't think a car will sneak between them and to my surprise my wife even thinks they are rather cute (I was expecting just the opposite). I told her when I raise the track I won't need them and she said "You can use them for other purposes."... heck if I know what that would be but it shows she's in for them.

Anyone using something creative? I could always take these back...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Try this thread for ideas.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try this thread for ideas.
Thanks. I'll spend some time looking around. Odd feeling like a newbie. I use the same Forum software at AVSForum the last few years and been there for over two decades. Another silly question... do most feel it's worthwhile "upgrading" to Autorennbahnplaner from Softy Bahnplaner? I tried the demo but with the track limit it was hard to tell much. Don't mind paying if I'll actually gain something.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Anyone enjoy puzzles? OK I have finalized my table size and I'm attempting to design the track accordingly. Playing around I have one side of the layout in cement or at least I'm hoping so since I really like it. I just can't find a "perfect" way to finish the circuit. I have come close and might be within the "tolerance factor" in connecting pieces.

Any suggestions?

PS In reality would the misalignment in the second image work? Not my favorite (connecting the two) but it roughly shows what I keep coming up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That misalignment won't even be noticed in real life when you put the layout together.
Thanks... I'm still waiting on a few pieces so hopefully before long I'll know what's going on. Playing around some more this is the "best" I have come up with so far...

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
you have a good length for the main straight but I am afraid that the track flow is very repetitive with too many 180 corners.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You guys are right. At this point all I'm sold on is the table size for the room. Two 6 x 6 tables and a 4 x 8 table giving me twenty feet wide and sections of 6 and 4 feet deep as shown above. I wish there was an app that took your dimensions and showed you all of the possibilities! I'll keep working away... I still like the first image in post #10 however I just haven't a great way to finish it off.

I liked the attached but figured the shoulders would be an issue coming into/out of the "four lane pieces"

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nesting like that is fine in analog, but not digital. It's still something I try to avoid, though.
What issue does it cause with digital? Giving up for the day... based on the various input here's the best I came up with... I guess.

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
The main issue with a nested turn in digital is that a car could be coming the opposite way in the same lane, but on the other part of the nested turn. The car on the inside, drifting just a little, will cause a collision. The only way to avoid this is to put a wall between them, but then you're giving a free wall ride to the car on the inside of the wall.

We encourage the use of border/skirt for cars to drift on, and walls are only used to keep a crashed car from entering the track somewhere else. A wall should never be able to be used to help keep the car on the track while it's going through a turn at high speed. IMHO. :)

Your latest one has a lot of nice turns in it. I like it best, so far. But, what is the direction of travel? Assuming clockwise, do you WANT cars coming off the long straight to enter a hairpin (R1) turn? I prefer softening up turns at the ends of long straights like that, but if you prefer to have it that way, that's fine, too. I'm just checking. :)

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
the last layout is better but I would try to add some R4s especially in the infield section.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I gave it one more try and tomorrow I'll probably order the needed pieces (I already have roughly two-thirds). I'm sure it could be better however it seems like a decent mix to me. You can tell the direction by the straight shoulders out of the curves. The "hairpin" at the end of the straight is required by the room layout. There is a bar with cabinets so I need to make room for it. And it doesn't bother me. You'll have to slow down if you want to use the lane change anyway.

I liked the previous one but when I started putting shoulders on it they were running into each other. Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.