SlotForum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
It's getting there. :)
The one thing I would say MUST be changed is the location of the pit. You'll want a longer pit lane eventually, but at the very least, don't put the entrance right up against a turn like that. The sensor will be missed more often than you want because the car will need to be sliding just a TINY bit, so you can't take it slow, but you also can't go too fast. If you want to keep the pit lane in the same place, just move that straight you have after the pit exit to before the pit entrance, and have the exit right up against the chicane.
As far as possible other location for it, I'd probably put it on the front straight, parallel to the control unit. The pit lane fuel sensor can be programmed to count a lap if needed, so don't worry about that. In fact most people put it there. You can then make it a little longer. FYI, you only need one fuel sensor piece, and the pit lane itself can be as long as you want for cars to park after they have crossed the sensor.
Oh, and a couple more lane changers will come in handy. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's getting there. :)
My wireless control unit takes up three straights which makes placing the pit next to it kind of tight and as you said I couldn't expand it there later on. I don't want to move it one track left since it makes the shoulder not fit. I can move it as shown which appears to work.

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Or soften up the chicane like this:
Ecoregion Organism Urban design Grass Biome

When you say "wireless control unit" do you mean the chargers? They can be placed anywhere... such as the straight where you currently have the pit lane.

The main reason I didn't suggest your new pit lane location is that it will be out of easy reach, and people crash while entering the pit lane too fast quite a lot until they get used to it. It's as sharp as a hairpin turn, but most people don't "see" it as a sharp turn.

But yeah, the only thing that was a must was the pit lane entrance following a turn. The rest is just personal preference.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Or soften up the chicane like this:
I like this however it doesn't match too well with the pieces I currently have... would have to order a lot of additional pieces compared to the original. I agree with the pits being out of place and once I see how the digital pieces can fit together I'll probably move it to the control unit. I tweaked a few items and I'll sleep on it before I order.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's REALLY hard to not end up with spare track at some point. ;-)
I already have a few odds and ends. Also I found some of the shoulders don't look the best. I'm sure once I get rolling they and a few other "build quality" items won't bother me. I did order the rest of the pieces to make the revised circuit. By the way the pit lane actually is convenient as the "drivers" will be in front of the long straight. The TV (for smart race) is behind the control unit straight.

I might have liked another version a little better but it didn't fit as nicely with the shoulders and about 80% of the track would have required them so I passed. I haven't heard back from the cabinet builder firm regarding my tables and wondering what height would work best? I'm thinking around 32" or so?

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
Ah, good. I tend to assume drivers will be in front of the CU, but I have no idea how your room is actually laid out.

As for height, I'd err toward a little lower. 30" tops, especially as you'll probably want to add some walls to keep cars on the table for when the carrera (or other) fences aren't enough. I made my table legs 24", but it's also on large casters. With the addition of the retaining walls, the part I'm leaning over is just over 38" high, with the track table about 32" high. I'm not a tall man, nor am I thin, so reaching very far can be uncomfortable, both on my back and my gut. ;-) I wish it were shorter, but it is what it is. Just keep those things in mind. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Silly question... does the Ramp Bridge Crossing force you to slow down or can you keep it floored? Might want to add one for the interest however it would have to be on the main straight and I don't want to slow that down. I saw one in a YouTube video and it appeared they didn't let off...

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
If you're running stock cars with magnets, you can probably go flat out, but why have the bridge without using it as a bridge? You can elevate parts of the track for interest without making "ramps."
As soon as you pull out magnets or grow out of Carrera cars, you'll probably need to slow down to avoid catching air on those.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Kind of quiet here so I figured I'd drop a post. Still waiting on a few pieces to finish up my proposed track. I have received a couple of quotes on building three tables. Think I'll go with two 6' x 6' tables and one 4' x 8' table. Making sure the legs are removable and have leveling feet. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. The firm I'll probably go with isn't available until next month.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
if it is dearer for your cabinet maker to do adjustable legs then go for straight fixed legs as it looks like you are putting it on an existing house floor ,a few bits of thick cardboard under a leg here and there would be all you need

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
if it is dearer for your cabinet maker to do adjustable legs then go for straight fixed legs as it looks like you are putting it on an existing house floor ,a few bits of thick cardboard under a leg here and there would be all you need
Based on the quotes I have received everything is "dear" to them. :) I think I have decided on 32" high. 30" just seems like you are using a "table" and I was thinking of 36" but think it might be too high to see the car/track "clearly" in the corners.

·
Registered
583 Posts
30 inch high is ok ,i always say kitchen table height ,but i ended up going 27 inch high and it gives a good airial type view of my cars going around ,in fact i even sit on a bar stool to give me a better view ,but some other people suggest track a little higher ,each to their own i guess

·
Registered
306 Posts
My lowest table height is around 22 inches with highest track point Im guessing at 36 inches. Members may frown upon this but it works for me as easier for deslots and obviously to accomodate my elevation changes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
No more suggestions. Looking forward to reading about and seeing the final product and how you like it.
Me too. Still waiting on several track pieces however I have to say carreraslots.com has been great to work with. Very friendly and I had a couple of warranty issues they handled very professionally.

I got three quotes - sent them a rough drawing of what I was thinking. Highest was twice the lowest (even higher) until I convinced them I wasn't looking for "fine furniture" Ended up my "favorite" of the three was half or less than the other two. They rebuilt my deck and replaced several windows in the past so I'm very comfortable with them.

He is making the 3 tables with fold-able legs and leveling feet. Once I get them installed I'll have to address containing the cars on the table... open to any suggestions. On the surface I'd prefer not to permanently attach anything to or deface the tables... in the rare case I'd want to use them for something different down the road.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.