SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Joel Thura (Merkit the Grof) at the SSRC track trying one of his 1/24 scale cars for this years Bordeaux event.

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
If only I lived nearer this is one Club I would love to join......I'm just a little confused as the actual location....Is it Basildon or Southend?......I can't find a location map on the site.

Regards to all Southend Members

Alan

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 4 Mar 2005, 10:08)If only I lived nearer this is one Club I would love to join......I'm just a little confused as the actual location....Is it Basildon or Southend?......I can't find a location map on the site.

Regards to all Southend Members

Alan
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is in Pound Lane, Bowers Gifford, near Basildon.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Like the modified control tower!!!

Superb track..................

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Alan

The Southend Slot Racing Club has it's roots in Westcliff on Sea which is part of Southend on Sea Borough.

It's original location was the loft of the founders home. He then set it up in a church hall in Westcliff and subsequently moved to a church hall in the Rochford, Southend borders before he left the club and the current committee relocated to Pound Lane which is between Benfleet and Pitsea approximately 5 miles from its original location.

The founder of the club and myself have both raced slot cars since the early 1960s and were regulars of the "Racing & Drag Centre"- the first commercial track in Westcliff on Sea in 1966 and we progressed to the "Wonderland Raceway" on Southend seafront in about 1969.

Sorry to be so precise but even though it's only a small club I think the history is important.

David

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hi David
Being from the area and an old Wonderland regular could you shed some light on what really happened to the old Tottenham "King" track?
I was told about 15 years ago by a Southend dealer that the track along with some other equipment was being "skipped" but recently i have heard rumours that it was salvaged and still in the country, love to know if this is true.
Cheers
[oneofwos]

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
John

About 15 years ago I was told by Tony Avis who used to run Siva Models in Southend and at Brands Hatch that the King track was definitely in storage in Shoeburyness in an old MOD building in the AWRE or Shoebury garrison area.

There was a plan to renovate the track and open a club but this never happened, as most of the MOD land has been sold off in the intervening years I feared the track has possibly been thrown away by now but maybe you know differently. What can you tell us about its possible survival?

The Wonderland premises are still there and I drive past them frequently, here's a picture I took a couple of weeks ago.

My trusty Morris Minor parked outside.

The ground floor arcade premises seem to be closed, the shutters have been down for months but you probably recognise the upper floor where the club was.

David

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
David
Thanks for that info, at least it confirms that it was not skipped.
I had heard a couple of years ago [but forget who it was that told me] that it had survived and had been modified to fit into new premises, unfortunately the person who told me this did not know where so i assumed that he was talking a load of rubbish and left it at that.
I only remember the track at Tottenham as i never did visit Wonderland, think it was around the time i discovered girls and decided to do something about it
, however a couple of people told me that the track was in a bad way towards the end and it would have probably been beyond repair because of the amount of goop it had absorbed over the years.
Cheers

[oneofwos]

QUOTE (David Lawson @ 4 Mar 2005, 18:58)John

About 15 years ago I was told by Tony Avis who used to run Siva Models in Southend and at Brands Hatch that the King track was definitely in storage in Shoeburyness in an old MOD building in the AWRE or Shoebury garrison area.

There was a plan to renovate the track and open a club but this never happened, as most of the MOD land has been sold off in the intervening years I feared the track has possibly been thrown away by now but maybe you know differently. What can you tell us about its possible survival?

The Wonderland premises are still there and I drive past them frequently, here's a picture I took a couple of weeks ago.

My trusty Morris Minor parked outside.

The ground floor arcade premises seem to be closed, the shutters have been down for months but you probably recognise the upper floor where the club was.

David
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (JOHN SECCHI @ 5 Mar 2005, 03:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David
Thanks for that info, at least it confirms that it was not skipped.
I had heard a couple of years ago [but forget who it was that told me] that it had survived and had been modified to fit into new premises, unfortunately the person who told me this did not know where so i assumed that he was talking a load of rubbish and left it at that.
I only remember the track at Tottenham as i never did visit Wonderland, think it was around the time i discovered girls and decided to do something about it
, however a couple of people told me that the track was in a bad way towards the end and it would have probably been beyond repair because of the amount of goop it had absorbed over the years.
Cheers

[oneofwos]

I know at one point a lot of the braid got ruined by the owners allowing 1/24th scale RC cars to run on it!
How do I know this? I was one of the guys running there....

dw

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (JOHN SECCHI @ 1 Jun 2006, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>DW
How long ago was this and do you have any idea what happened to it?

[oneofwos]

Hi John,

Not really sure when this was, but I would guess late eighties. I have trophies from 1883-86 so this must have been when I was heavily into 1/10th scale RC. Running the tamtechs at wonderland would have been after that as I had decided 1/10th was too expensive.

As for what happened to the track, I have no idea, in fact I think tales about that have become urban legends around here.

Have you given any more thought to giving H:O slot cars a go?

Regds - Deane

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Deane
Thanks for that.

More chance of me taking up electric RC cars again than doing HO!

Not knocking HO but my eyesight's not what it was so the bigger the better.

[oneofwos]

·
Registered
969 Posts
So, can anyone tell us a little bit more about Wonderland (the Raceway, not Michael Jackson's pedofilic centre !) ?
I remember reading 24 hour race reports in Model Cars, with some 12/14 teams.
How was that ?
Two tracks ?
The track I saw in a photo seemed quite complicated.

One real story about it.
In 1972 (or something near it) my father tried to go there, to buy some slot car parts for me.
I live in Brasil, as my father, so at that time it was quite an achievement to go there.
He told me that he could not reach Southend-on-Sea.
There ha been an IRA bomb attack in one of the train stations on the way from London to S-o-S the day he planned to get there, so he had to go back to London.
Does anybody remember this ?

VBR.
André Acker.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
QUOTE name='andre acker' date='1 Jun 2006, 21:04' post='172877']
So, can anyone tell us a little bit more about Wonderland (the Raceway, not Michael Jackson's pedofilic centre !) ?

just to let you know its called neverland not wonderland..
but i totally agree about what u said about it

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well, its is even better as nobody will take one for another ...
You can imagine the scene, a British father absolutely worried as his son says, "Daddy, I am going to play at Wonderland", imagining he is going to Neverland ...

So, that's what we really are talking about, WONDERLAND !

VBR.
André Acker.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
When I raced at both The Westcliff Racing and Drag Centre and then Wonderland in the 1960s and 70s a fellow racer was Martin Eyre.

Many years later I think it was 1997, Martin joined the Southend Slot Racing Club and we resumed racing. Business pressures prevented Martin from continuing with the hobby and once again we lost touch.

I was at Brands Hatch on Saturday for the Summer Festival and who should be racing a proper grown up car - Martin Eyre in the Group C/GTP race at the wheel of a 1992 Gebhardt Cosworth. He has obviously progressed a little further in the sport than I ever will!

Here is a photograph I took of him coming through the wooded section out the back of the Grand Prix circuit

David

1 - 20 of 47 Posts