SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Has anyone ever heard this phrase before:

"Anyone can drive a slow car fast, but not everyone can drive a fast car fast..."

It basically means that it takes real talent to tame a brute. I'm sure that if you put every SF member and Schumacher on their own electric disabled person buggy and set them off round a race track. We would all respectably finish within a second of him, as we would be flat out almost everywhere and only letting off momentarily for really sharp corners. Knowledge of the buggy or any real driving experience would count for nothing. However, the story would be different if we were all placed into identical Formula One cars. Schumacher would be back home over 20 seconds quicker than us. I realise he has practised in an F1 car before, but you get my point.

The way I see it, the earlier that you have to brake for a corner, the harder it is to brake at just the right time. This is why magnet cars require less skill (don't want to start an arguement, different skill) because, you just break when the front wheels touch the first bit of bendy track. As you would with a slow motor, or one with a lot of internal friction (RX type). With a ridiculously overpowered car, you cannot slam the power on out of the corners because the wheels will just spin up and you will loose time, or slide out. You have to feather the throttle and when you are just getting traction, you put it to the floor (or handle). You have to break early, and this is hard to judge correctly as your entry speed will vary wildly from lap to lap, varying with the amount of wheel spin/slide you had coming out of the last corner.

Formula one cars are overpowered beasts, because at almost any point on the track, flooring it will leave rubber behind. Disabled people buggies are like slow or magnet cars. Flat out the second you hit the apex, let off less than a meter from the next apex, if at all. The only variable would be racing line, which the slot has covered...

Magnet racing by this reasoning requires quick reflexes and that is it. Off at the right time, and on at the right time will produce a perfect lap time. With out magnets it's just not as easy as this.

Another thing. When you are racing these "make racing closer" nights, have you noticed that when a good driver is knocked out, or comes off he won't win unless those infront of him do likewise. Whereas, when you are racing more powerful cars, the best drivers always seem to shine through. This is because they have the skill to 'turn it up a notch' when they need to. Brake that little bit later and put the power down that little bit sooner. They can get the red mist and set a new lap record as a good F1 driver would if they had been held up behind another car for a long time. When your racing magnets (and I mean supermagnets) or slow cars, you are always braking at the very last second so you cannot turn it up when you need to.

I hope you can see my point here, because I think they are valid comparisons. So if you want to measure everyone at your club properly, you will stick the fastest motor in your club cars, with no magnets. Then you will find the best driver.

NB: I don't want to open the magnet debate again, this is primarily about slow cars which are run "to make racing closer". I can see where you are coming from, but all this is doing is masking skill and stopping the good drivers from winning what they deserve.

The reason that I write all of this is because I'm bitter, why else? After winning the last couple of race nights it came to club car racing at my local club. They are really slow cars and I had a terrible night, even though I set the fastest lap of the night, and the fastest race time (I think). I was knocked off in two races and therefore finished almost half a lap down in both. The problem with a few of the other races was that I was just pushing it too hard, as I always do... After I come off usually, I can catch up, but not with slow cars. So after finishing the last race with my fingers almost bleeding from squeezing the controller too hard, I just got fed up. Less experienced drivers were beating me just because they had the luck that no-one ran into them. This hacks me off.

What do you think?

Lotus

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
lotus03 i think you will be taking that next step up the ladder soon because your looking how to improve, ibeleave you need to look a little closer at you race tacticks, you say you get knocked off, whe4re do you attack the car in front? if you try round the outside your looking for trouble, wait till you are on the inside then go through, try not to run side by side with tail waggers, do um on the staights, you seem to be taking too much notice of lap times, they are only good for an indication, if a guy is doing 8.00 second lap and he,s on the ragged edge, you do 8.02 , he,s going to drop it 1 or 2 times , then he,s have to take 5 laps to get back on par , getting even closer to the edge. one thing i have noticed at most clubs is the practice period, ask 95% of the guy on the rostrum what they are doing and they will say practicing, ask them what are you practicing? silence is what follows, pick 2 points out on the track to practice your braking, try keeping the tail in on the exits, at least PRACTICE something, take it to the limit youll know when you,v found it, then back off a touch, it aint the answer to everthing but your avarage will go up, cheers macp

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
one thing that irritates me, marshals.

you gain some time, so everyone thinks it is fine to take their time, I always get the car back on asap, I will get it out the way if other car are coming or will get it near the slot by just flicking it round the right way, I came off because my wheel fell off, I was a lap up admittedly but the marshal was simply taking the piss and arsing about with wheels, no intention of putting me back on any time soon, I just called for the race to be stopped and got moaned at, so I just moaned back, if the marshals marshal fairly I wouldnt bother.

just cause I have a faster car is there a reason to hold me back? NO. in fact, why should I bother marshalling? dont think I will actually.

it's a game I know but it takes the piss, alright some people put you on the wrong lane by accident occationally but when they take their time or arent watching their corner you have to shout, no need for it? yeah right. I coulda marshaled my own car by the time the race was paused! had I knownt the marshal was gonna be such an imbersile!

sorry rant over

other factor, everybody moans when you say no mag racing, I dont want to pilot my favourite magnet round the track wondeirng when it will blow up. Not fun, but when we do have no mag people enjoy it because it's closer, I dont mind lending a car out too much but if I know they will disrespect it no way matey, crashes are expected but not every corner.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 14 Mar 2004, 08:07 PM)one thing that irritates me, marshals.

I dont want to pilot my favourite magnet round the track wondeirng when it will blow up.
Waiting for it to blow up
You crack me up Inte
Maybe I should wear my bike leathers and lid when we are next at the same track? "ey up, Inte's got a new dump valve fitted to his slot car!" "What, you mean one of those things which goes PAATOOOSHH! when you back off in a turbo car?", "Well, sort of. Except in the case of his slot car it goes REVVV! PAAATOOOOSH! and converts itself into a model kit!

Ahem.. back to marshalling. You can open a right can of dingo's kidneys there Inte. When I'm racing, I try and be a bit patient. If a person consistently buggers about then I reckon I've got cause to have a word, but as you say, accidents can happen especially in a multi-car pile up. When it comes to marshalling, I've put cars in the wrong lane, I've been watching the race leader ripping round the track when there's a couple of off at my corner, I've been a complete and utter cluster-finger trying to put a car on the track, but I usually apologise. No I'm not the world's best marshal, but I hope I'm impartial! (Wow, another poem). If a driver shouts at me, I just wait til he or she is marshalling and I'm racing. Then in fun, I shout back.

Maybe there should be a tutorial on how to marshal - we've got the best slot brains worldwide on SF, and I bet most of them have marshalled sometimes.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm working on a dump valve.. not to worry (sorry addicted to turbo's
)

we should but then some marshals dont put the right car on first! I was taken off so thats right hold me up.. oh that reminds me, taken off by the guy who didnt marshal me! ohh, he's got something coming at him this week! very fast! where's those caps? and that low gearing...

crack you up? good just that aint reversed innit?!!!

I have lightened my porsche for staffs by I think it was .2 of a gram, hmm, what else can I remove? gonna remove something else soon, replace the headlights with paper, rid of the tail lights drill a couple of "spy" holes in chassis

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with inte. I've got no problem with people who are just slow marshals, so long as they try. It's those who are talking, watching the race, or texting someone on their phone who irritate me. I put my all into marshalling and I expect others to do so for me.

Back to earlier discussions.

I get taken out in the most unusual ways sometimes... I'm not an idiot, I won't overtake round the outside unless I trust someone. It's usually the Montoya wanabes who try and out brake you from a metre back. They'll take you out good and proper. Or it's the ones who cause a crash in the bend before you get to it, and you don't have time to brake... Anyway, I admit that sometimes it is my fault, as even the best drivers come out, but I want the oppertunity to be able to catch up afterwards.

Damn slow things... who thinks slow is cool?

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
QUOTE I have lightened my porsche for staffs

Leave the motor out its the heaviest component

Try the slot it plastic wheels they are ok

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I need some mg. wheels!

I think I need the motor but gonna conduct some testing on monday, if it dont work then I'm gonna have to manufacture something!

and it is gonna be difficult as using my left thumb is painful after playing roly poly in road... @30mph+

·
Registered
325 Posts
Could always loose the body half way round rob… that's more your style
just joking.

follow Grah1's advice.... i'd fit a fan n put really thin tyres on. World's first fan powered slot car.

not still after sympathy cos of your bike crash are you rob?
does look back tho, sure he'll recover. I wouldn't mind tho, he was scarily fact at Bolton!

looking forward to seeing everyone there!

James

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
body release system was too problematic,

might try that fin idea tho.. need a fan now, but I would need a motor to power the fan

but if I made a porsche fan car and used it for ground effects...

not sympathy a helping hand to hold stuff while I trim it with dremel

James, not too bothered, my standing leg, throttle arm and head are all ok? just my right and left arm thats hurt

I'm scary fast when I have the right car... bye bye jamie boy!!!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I just got this image of you turning up at ours with your car stuck to a B&Q 24 inch fan with a big smile on yer face that says "Try and ban this baby!"

Promise me.....

Ok Grah, I`m gonna ask the question others must be thinking, tell us about that fan car mate I`ve gotta know

1 - 20 of 43 Posts