SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just thought I'd quickly ask this as wasn't intending to delve any deeper tonight, as I'm off to the pub! A beer (or maybe more) has my name on it!!!!

I was just killing a bit of time and thought "I'll chip that MSC Metro!"

So, I got me stuff out and went at it.

A quick test before reassembly found that the motor cuts out on full throttle. I have to remove the car from the track and put in back on to get the car to go again.

First thought - it could be the motor is too powerful for the chip, but its only 21000rpm. Hence my question.

Second thought - duff chip.

Third thought - I'm thirsty. Sod it. I'm off for a beer!

Do not worry, I will pick up any replies/responses on my phone, in the pub, whilst supping

Cheers

Steve

·
Greg Gaub
15,369 Posts
Uh, yeah... if the car goes at all, under control, and changing lanes, then the chip is fine.
If it dies when you punch it, it's the motor pulling too many amps.
Note that the RPM alone is not a sure indication that the chip can, or cannot, handle it. Not only is it possible for different brands of the same RPM motor to work or not work, but even the same brand motor, due to manufacturing variances, can be safe, or not.
I believe MSC is primarily into rally cars, where torque is king. As such, I think it's likely, especially at 21k, that the motor is too much for a standard Scalextric chip.
Now, if you used an F1 chip, you might be able to get by with a saloon chip. If it was a saloon chip you tried, then I would suggest either replacing the motor with one that has less power and/or speed, OR upgrading the chip as per RichG's examples. GregK has done many, and gmyers performs upgrades as a paid service, or if you're a king at soldering, you can tackle it yourself. That's assuming you don't want to put a Slot.it chip in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts